Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best of Kerry to Dublin in 9 days? Help pls! (Ireland, Northern Ireland)

Old Jun 17th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

Unexpectedly heading to Ireland for the first time in late July/early August.
Fyling into Kerry at 3pm on Day 1, and out of Dublin early on Day 9.

Haven't been in an English speaking country in two years. Yet the research seems more difficult than many countries as I can't pronouce 75% of critical info!

Researched the forums and the trip reports, read Rick Steves' book (though I know not everyone is a fan, it's what I have.)

-I realize it is a short visit over a great distance.
-I'd greatly appreciated your advice on what you feel is "not to miss" for a family with children and can be worked into our time frame.

-Our priorities are scenery and experience.
-Cities not a priority. (Perhaps another time when the children are older.)

-Would like to make it to the Antrim Coast.
-Would like to sleep over in limited locations - but recognize the difficulty of that on this trip. Recommendations more than welcome - especially for a family of 4.

Jet lag not an issue as we live in Europe.
Two adults and two well-traveled kids ages 6 and 9.
Renting a car.

Many, Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to give me some pointers!
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 06:17 AM

I would have flown into Shannon and gone over and down but provided you don't mind a couple of long drives it can be done.

Land Kerry and head for Killarney or Dingle 1 nights
Co.Kerry, cross the Shannon Kinvara,Ballyvaughan for 1 night.
Trough Galway to Clifden 2 nights to recoup and tour.
Ballina/Sligo 1 night
Up onto The Antrim Coast for 2 nights
Back down to Dublin on the 8th and 9th

option 2.

Land Kerry and head for Killarney 2 nights.
Round the coast to Cork for 1 night
Killarney, 1 night
Bray (South of Dublin) or Howth (North of Dublin) 1 night
Antrim coast (Portrush?) follow the coast from above Belfast, 2 nights
Back to Dublin through the Glens of Antrim.

To cut the amount of locations then you would have longer drives or need to cut out Antrim.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 06:42 AM
cd

It's been 5-6 years since we toured Ireland but what comes to mind immediately when anyone mentions Ireland is the beautiful scenery driving the Dingle Peninsula and Slea Head Drive and the Cliffs of Mohler. The stone fences thru-out the country side, the peat fires in the pubs and steak and kidney pie.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 11:44 AM

If you're having trouble finding things, you might try
www.google.ie I usually get significantly more hits by going to the google local country site.

Here's one from the UK that should help.

http://www.irishtourism.com/self-dri...land/index.htm
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM

The Dingle Pennisula is a must - it is quintessential Ireland - from Shamrocks to Leprachaun. You really must spend as much time there as you can afford. We stayed in a VRBO and LOVED it.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for you replies - I truly appreciate the time you took to help me out.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 04:00 AM

Interesting points about Dingle...Kids can see a Dophin. Quintessential Ireland..Shamrocks and Leprachaun.

I don't think Dingle is the be all and end all but even I can come up with better than that.

Dingle has a big reputation as a Must See. There is the Slea Head drive great in the sun, naff in the rain. The Connor Pass scenic drive, that scares the bejesus out of tourist drivers. The tour bus from Dingle town takes 4 hours to see the main sights but many folk say it takes days? The Blasket islands are worth a trip and you might see the solitary dolphin as a bonus, provided the boats are running and its not too rough. You will hear some great trad music if you can get through the door of the pub packed with folk making lots of noise and clapping incessantly.

Having shed light on the subject, Yes Dingle is worth seeing and even worth staying overnight. But that statement can be said of most Irish coastal (or inland) towns.

The point of this post however is to pack everything into 9 days. Does 0.4% of the Island justify more than 10% of that itinerary?
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 05:48 AM

Tony wrote: "Does 0.4% of the Island justify more than 10% of that itinerary?"

Of course - and I'm not relating my response to Dingle, about which Tony and I have different opinions. It's just that in 9 days one would be doing quite well to experience 3.6% of the island, whether each day's 0.4% is close to or distant from the previous day's 0.4%.

Unless you spend months here, all you're ever going to manage is selected sampling. You are deluding yourself if you think that by going from end to end of Ireland in two or three weeks you have "done" Ireland.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 03:14 PM

Hmmm. I have seen many posts by "Tony" and his posts are always negative towards Dingle. I've never met anyone else that didn't love their drive thru Slea Head and around the coast there. Stop in Doolin for some good music. If you hit connemara, Clifden is a great stop. Have a great trip.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:15 AM

Is there anything in my post above that is not honest or inaccurate?

Why is Dingle the Only place on the Island of Ireland incapable of taking criticism?

I can say negative things against Kinsale no problems, I can say I visit Doolin but wouldn't stay overnight, no problem. I can say the locals wouldn't be seen dead in certain places, in fact I can say anything negative about almost anywhere without a problem...

But let me say it sometimes rains in Dingle, it might be too rough to get to the Blaskets, or don't drive a mobile home over the Connor Pass and its oh god Tony's at it again!

Sure I never offer good advice, I never include Dingle on any itinerary and I keep little men in red suits (sorry Disney Green suits) in the chicken pen ;-}
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Hello again,

Any thoughts on this draft itinerary:

1. Arrive Kerry 3pm. Drive southern route of ROK to Portmagee to sleep.

2. Wake Portmagee. Weather permitting, Skellig Michael boat tour. Drive to Dingle. Sleep Dingle.

3. Dingle Peninsula and slea head. Drive to Kinvarra. Sleep.

4. Cliffs of Mohr and banquet in Kinvarra. Sleep Kinvarra.

5. Long drive north - sleep Lough Erne or other???

6. Wake and drive north to Antrim Coast. Giant's Causeway and bridge. Glens of Antrim. Sleep in Armagh (family history) or other...?

7. Head to Dublin?

8. Dublin, Wicklow...?

9. Early flight out of Dublin.

I know it's still rough. Thanks again.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Looking at your draft itenerary, it appears that you really have 7 & 1/2 days to see the country. I suggest you re-think your first item. You're begining by going in the opposite direction of Antrim---the one place you say you'd like to see. Are you highly motivated to do Skellig Michael? Can your kids handle a really rough ride on a light-weight boat? Of course it's an incredible experience, but that can be said of so much of Ireland. You'll love it all.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 02:55 PM

Children and Skellig Michael? not recommended.

This is not a pleasant trip over a calm stretch of water, land at a nice jetty and then climb some well made well defined path and stairway with safety rails on a sun drenched little island. You did read the THIS IS NOT part? It is a little Island, the crossing can be pleasant the landing can be OK. The path is steep, slippery and rough, injury's can and do happen, care must be taken,
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thoughts on final itinerary?

1. arrive Kerry, sleep Dingle
2. explore Dingle Peninsula, sleep Dingle
3. ROK, sleep Killorglin
4. Cliffs of Moher, sleep Burren
5. Drive to Portrush, sleep Portrush
6. Antrim Coast, Glens of Antrim, sleep Armagh
7. Local area, Sleep Dublin
8. Dublin or Wicklow, sleep Dublin
9. Early departure

Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Drop the Ring of Kerry and use the night gained to split the mad dash between the Burren and Portrush.

Have you plotted this on a rout planner and added the mandatory 15% minimum to drive time?
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 06:31 PM

I agree with Tony about ROK. Three reasons: 1.That drive around ROK is not going to give you any better views than you'll have in the other areas you're visiting. 2. Eliminates one more sleeping location. 3.It will also reduce the hours the kids have to spend in the car.