Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   best of italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-of-italy-230574/)

chryso Jun 12th, 2002 02:25 PM

best of italy?

Me (29) and my husband (31) are planning a trip to Italy for two weeks in early October. We'd like to visit Sicily. Other than that, should we go with Florence, Rome, Venice, or are there some less popular areas that are worth the trip? We like countryside and wineries, in a addition to museums and art. Thanks for any advice.

newt Jun 12th, 2002 02:48 PM

my wife and I (both 28) just returned from Italy, posted trip report on Fodors today that may be helpful to you. Florence must not be missed for art lovers.

Trent Jun 12th, 2002 04:25 PM

My wife and I just returned from Rome, Florence and Venice. Rome is incredible. In our opinion, it is a must see. The Vatican Museum is great. The Sistine Chapel and St Peter's should not be missed. We were not big fans of Florence but we did see David and it is impressive. We went to a small town called south of Florence called Greve in Chianti. Very quaint. They have a wine tasting bar where you can try 100 different kind of wines. It is called Le Cantine. We also enjoyed Venice but it is a long way from Sicily.

chryso Jun 13th, 2002 04:55 AM

Thanks.<BR>Newt, what is the title of your posting? I'm having trouble finding it on fodors.<BR>

jedi Jun 13th, 2002 05:03 AM

I would have to say that Sicily and mainland Italy would be best on seperate trips. Otherwise you will spend too much time in the air, on a boat etc. <BR> I reccomend flying into Venice, but only for a day or two, take a train over to florence (3 hours or so) also a day or two, then head down to Naples ( maybe 5 hours by train) if you want to go down to sorrento capri pompei etc for the last part head up to rome (a few hours from Naples) and give that a few days. Fly back out from rome. <BR> Have a great trip.

Rex Jun 13th, 2002 11:20 AM

Newt's trip report is at <BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1381451<BR><BR>And finding this is a good illustration of how to use the "search engine" here (if you can call it that) effectively (for SOME questions).<BR><BR>Type "report" - - not such a difficult guess, since he did say "posted trip report" - - THEN, click Italy in the "countries box". It pops right up.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Angela Jun 13th, 2002 11:33 AM

My husband, two daughters and I did two weeks in Italy last year and managed to squeeze in several days in Sicily as well. We were in Rome two days, picked up a car, spent two days in Abruzzo at relatives, drove on to Positano for three days and then on to Taormina and Palermo where we dropped the car. We flew from Palermo to Venice and spent a day there before we flew home from Milan. I know it sounds hectic, but we managed to see alot and it turned out to be a lot of fun. This year we're going back to spend more time in Sicily and to see Florence. Sicily is incredible and there is so much history and natural beauty there, we fell in love with it. <BR>

Frank Jun 13th, 2002 11:34 AM

Another good way to search is on the author's name, in this case NEWT. Up come all of Newt's threads or responses to threads in date order. Works like a charm.

hewitt Jun 13th, 2002 12:28 PM

Dario dario dario.....

Tina Jun 13th, 2002 01:18 PM

Trent:<BR><BR>Did you rent your own car to visit Greve - is it accessible (to your knowledge) without renting a vehicle? Thanks in advance...

Jackie Jun 13th, 2002 01:23 PM

If you like wineries and the country side I suggest you stay at what is called a "farm holiday". Last year we stayed at the Castello de Luzzano.( they have a webpage) It is a working vineyard and winery. The rent rooms and apartments. it is outside of Milan in a rural area. This gave us a wonderful opportunity to see Italy from the inside out. A great perspective. <BR> I hope you have a fun trip..<BR> Jackie

Frasier Jun 13th, 2002 01:35 PM

I want to know if "Dario dario dario" is an allusion to Tosca's aria "Mario, Mario, Mario".