Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best of Corsica and hotel recommendations early sept (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-of-corsica-and-hotel-recommendations-early-sept-947837/)

Misho Aug 23rd, 2012 09:27 AM

Best of Corsica and hotel recommendations early sept

Dear Fodors,
We are planning a trip to Corsica for two weeks early Sept. the whole island looks amazing but we would like you to guide us so as where to base ourselves as we are planning to base ourselves in two areas to be able to see as much as possible. In order to help us choose our two bases, here are our interests and taste:
We are a couple in our early forties with a 4 years old boy.
We like places like St tropez, Cannes, MOnte Carlo, Portofino and Marbella.. We also like places like Luberon area and Ronda in Spain.
This is our only trip in the year so we try to pamper ourselves by staying in 5 stars hotels. We prefer new modern and care that they are clean.
We usually rent a car and explore the nearby villages but we also like to spend few days on the beach (not a pool)..
Did some research and thought of Calvi or Ile Rousse in the north west coast and of Porto Vecchio or Bonifaco in the South east ....what do you think given the above? How are those different or similar from the examples we gave? Any other recommendations that fit our criteria?
Also any recommendations for 5 stars hotels in those areas?
Any guidance is much appreciated.

Smeagol Aug 23rd, 2012 09:58 AM

Calvi and Ille Rousse are positively glorious and I think the 5 star hotel near to Calvi is La Villa ( we normally stay at a friends house) that whole area is worth exploring. With 2 weeks you could do north and south, just hire a car.
Lots of fabulous little coves and great restaurants too. You could easily enjoy 2 weeks in the Balange area alone, but I think I would try further a field( I have been to Corsica 4 times but only north so sorry i can't help with Bonifacio etc but I believe that area is a little more jet set!)
Corsica is one of my favourite European destinations.
If you decided to add Calvi/Ille Rousse to your trip I can give you some restaurant recommendations.

Misho Aug 25th, 2012 03:50 PM

Thanks a lot Smeagol....much appreciated.
Yes please it would be great to have those recommendations.

nikt34 Aug 28th, 2012 01:10 PM

Only once been to Corsica but loved it. We have based ourselves in Porto Vecchio, but there is a lot to see around the island. Apart from the beaches, the mountain pools are fantastic. Renting a car is a good idea indeed as otherwise it is not as straight forward to get around. We stayed in a villa that is part of a hotel (Hotel Carre Noir), it worked better for us, but either case the place is great, especially the view. It is a modern place, absolutely clean, and although not 5-star, it was luxurious enough.
http://hotelcarrenoir.com/

kenav Oct 1st, 2012 10:45 AM

Bringing this thread up to September. Questions: What are the "mountain pools"? How long does it take to travel by car from say, Ill Rousse to Bonifacio?

seth54 Apr 8th, 2013 12:16 PM

My husband and I will be in Calvi from 7/20-26/2013 for the first time. We've rented a studio apt but wld love some restaurant suggestions as well as ideas of what to see. Is public transportation useable we were not planning on renting a car. Thanks so much

Smeagol Apr 8th, 2013 12:34 PM

U Fanale, just a short walk from the citadel ( reservations essential) doesn't look much but the food is fab.
I like Aux Bon Amis in the centre of town, small local restaurant nice atmosphere.
Personally I would rent a car, taxis are very expensive not sure I have seen a bus ( am sure there are some)
Le Matahari restaurant about 10 minutes drive from Calvi close to Lumio, great setting on the beach. Expensive but lovely food. Pain de sucre, half way between Calvi and Lumio.
Personally I don't love the restaurants right at the front of the harbour in Calvi, expensive due to their location. But one or 2 streets back and they are great. Il Candella in the Citadel, love this place great food, good price, service can be a bit strained at times though.

seth54 Jun 23rd, 2013 02:04 PM

Thank you for your restaurant information. We are leaving in a couple of weeks and were wondering whether most restaurants and stores take credit cards or will we need euros for most purchases?

Smeagol Jun 24th, 2013 01:59 PM

Most take credit cards but you will need euros for some places.

seth54 Jun 25th, 2013 05:59 PM

Thanks