Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   best musicals (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-musicals-357156/)

AndieP Sep 10th, 2003 07:09 PM

best musicals

Heading off to London next week. Which musical should we see?

NYCFoodSnob Sep 10th, 2003 07:24 PM

The talk of London theatre these days is the Jerry Springer musical. Can you believe that? I hear it's the hottest ticket in town.

Cameron Sep 10th, 2003 07:28 PM

If Mamma Mia is still playing , don't miss it. We saw it at the Prince Edward Theatre and it was fabulous! Have also seen it in San Francisco but the London production was much better, I thought. You do have to be a fan of Abba's, though.

MelJ Sep 10th, 2003 07:52 PM

Mama Mia! Saw it twice in London. The cast is terrific, the music is wonderful and the comedy is sophisticated and fun.

I think Les Miserables has closed after 10 years at the Palace but, if not, you should try to see it.

Have a great trip!

blueskies Sep 10th, 2003 11:34 PM

I agree - Mamma Mia is fantastic and a fun night ou - you'll be out of your seat dancing at the end.
Blood Brothers is also excellent based on a Liverpool story with laughs and tears.

blueskies Sep 10th, 2003 11:36 PM

Forgot to mention. I have booked London shows a couple of times with expressevents.com for discounted tickets but still with good seats.

paa3838 Sep 11th, 2003 02:06 AM

We saw Bombay Dreams and loved it. Highly recommended.

Tammi Sep 11th, 2003 03:59 AM

Mamma Mia or Lion King. I would skip Chicago.

nanda_zrh Sep 11th, 2003 04:27 AM

Saw Jerry Springer T. O. at the Edinburgh Festival last year. It was good in the second half. But too much of a musical for me. ;)

Loved "We will rock you"! Saw it in July and first musical that I could hardly keep to my seat. Fantastic!! The story line was really good too. Ben Elton did a great job.

grandmere Sep 11th, 2003 04:44 AM

Mamma Mia--saw it in London, and here in Pgh.--much better in London. Wonderful, "feel good" production.

Tulips Sep 11th, 2003 04:58 AM

Just saw Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat; absolutely loved it . It's a very happy, cheerful musical.

AR Sep 11th, 2003 08:21 AM

Chicago, We will rock you - I loved both. Any kids? Chitty chitty bang bang is fantastic, but booked to the end of its run, I believe. Have not seen the current 'Joseph', but it will be as great if not better than the last time around.(Guess I like musicals?!)
For tickets, try the "half price ticket booth" (one official, lots of others - compare prices)for that day's performances. Enjoy!

xyz123 Sep 11th, 2003 08:55 AM

There is a big big error...Les Mis in London has not closed; it is still going strong at the Palace. It closed in New York after a long run a couple of months ago.

Les Mis is still a worthwhile play to see. It has scenes in there that make the play suitable for children as well as adults.

The musical that just closed in London is My Fair Lady which closed at the Drury Lane Theatre in Convent Gardens at the end of August.

Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera are both still running.

Another excellent musical still running; although now that seats are always available at TKTS, is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. We saw it with our kids and we all loved it; however the big star (Michael Ball{???} - I'm not into British actors unfortunately for me) left the show in July and I hear the replacement is nowhere near aw good and the gentleman who played grandfather Potts, who I thought was the best actor in the show, just left replaced by the actor who played Liza Doolittle's father in My Fair Lady.

Lori Sep 11th, 2003 09:03 AM

By all means try and see Mamma Mia, I've seen it 3 times in London and it's a real "feel good" show. Much better then the U.S. productions (better cast by far).

We enjoyed Chitty Chitty Bang Bang a lot too and if the actor that played Eliza's father in My Fair Lady is taking over the grandfather part in Chitty you are in for a treat if you see this show I think.

Lion King is a possibility, we didn't care that much for it, but most people seem to love it.

Les Mis is still going strong and it's a delightful show.

We've enjoyed Chicago, but like all shows it's a matter of personal taste.

I'd skip Bombay Dreams based on what I know about the show, but you may enjoy it who knows !!