Reload this Page >

Best mode of transportation between cities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:07 PM
Sandy Eibeck

We will be in Italy in Sept-Oct 1999. Would train or bus be the best between: <BR>1. Monterosso & Lucca 2. Lucca & Florence 3. Day trips from Florence to: San Gimignano, Volterra, Siena, Radda in Chianti (would each of these require a separate day trip or possible to combine 2 and have enough time to enjoy each?) Any and all help greatly appreciated! THANKS PS how to find bus times-do we have to wait till we get there? <BR>

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:17 PM
Richard J. Vicek

Good afternoon, Sandy <BR>City to city rail travel can be located <BR>on www. raileurope.com/ or www.fs.on.line.com/ <BR>However for some reason there must not <BR>be a national bus company and transport <BR>by bus is broken up into city areas. <BR>Would suggest surfing the particular <BR>city for bus information. <BR>San Gimignano from Florence is done by <BR>train to Poggibossi and then by bus. <BR>The same train goes to Siena. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il...

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:17 PM
Richard J. Vicek

Good afternoon, Sandy <BR>City to city rail travel can be located <BR>on www. raileurope.com/ or www.fs.on.line.com/ <BR>However for some reason there must not <BR>be a national bus company and transport <BR>by bus is broken up into city areas. <BR>Would suggest surfing the particular <BR>city for bus information. <BR>San Gimignano from Florence is done by <BR>train to Poggibossi and then by bus. <BR>The same train goes to Siena. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il...

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:39 PM
mwg

I will only address part of your question. Siena has a lot to see and is worth a full day. The other towns you mention are quite smaller but, in my opinion, present problems in terms of combining in a single day trip because I don't think you could make connections that would permit you adequate time. Volterra and San Gemignano are pretty close and could easily be seen in one day if you can rent a car (is this an option?). Radda is off to the East a bit. there are other towns nearby in what is called the Chianti Trail, which again could easily be combined if renting a car is an option. You gave no idea of the amount of time you will have but I would advise seeing Siena and san Gemignano if you had to prioritize. Again, renting a car, even if only for a day, opens up a tremendous amount of beautiful countryside. It's kind of a shame to do a day trip to san Gemignano by bus and then go back along the same road a bit further on another day to see Volterra, even though its very nice.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 12:15 PM
Sandy Eibeck

Thanks guys for all the info. A little clarification: Our plans are: Fly into Milan-train to Monterosso(3days), then to Lucca(3days)?train or bus?, then to Florence for 7days, then Rome for 6days, rent a car in Rome, stay at Casa San Martin in Umbria for 7 days with car rental to tour, back to Rome, turn in car and back to San Francisco. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks <BR>

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 03:01 PM
Joanna

There is a direct train from Florence to Lucca (line ends a Viareggio) and it only takes about one hour or so. Very convenient. I would imagine the service is the same going the other way, with Florence being the terminus.