Best mid-priced restaurants in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

know there are a lot of discussions on good food in Paris, but some of the best are also over 600 euro for two people.

My husband and I don't mind spending 100 euro a person on dinner but 150 a person is my ceiling - (especially since the dollar is so weak right now..)
Are there some great restaurants that you just have to experience, but since dinner is so expensive, lunch may be a better option?

If anyone knows or has feedback on some great restaurants for around 80-120 euro a person - or cheaper, I would love the advice. We do like to drink wine, so i suppose that will vary the price some.
Much appreciated lunch or dinner suggestions!!

Also, I heard there was a discussion about restaurants under 100 euro in the past. Does anyone have a thread to that? We will be staying in the 1e
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:38 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Paris last year and I have posted a trip report with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . This also includes an eating and drinking section and I have written a bit about the places that we went to. In this interactive Google map that I have made http://gardkarlsen.com/paris_france_map.htm you can see the location of the various places and some attractions. Click on the markers to get some more information...hope this helps

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:40 AM

I just pulled up two threads for you, one of which is, I believe, the one Patrick was talking about in his response to you on the US board.

I strongly suggest that you do a search by typing Paris restaurants in the search box at the top of the page.

Good luck!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks CAPH52. are the threads attached or you mean i can find them through that search.
will try now
thanks
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM

If your budget is 100 Euros per person, you will have to tell us in which part of Paris you want to dine, as 200 Euros per couple will take you to about -- say -- 1000 great Parisian restaurants.....
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:47 PM

sxc, I pulled them back up to the top of the list. They've fallen back some by now. But if you scroll down the list on the left hand side, you'll find them.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

the location doesn't matter too much i suppose, as we can take train or bus if i am not mistaken. We are staying in 1e, near the louvre and gardens, so i would not want to go too far out. If there is anything close by or in the neighboring districts, that would be great. I don't mind traveling for a fantastic meal, but i don't have to that would be better.
Thank you!!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Mid-price for most ordinary Parisians would be about 30€-40€ per person.

I would therefore think that your definition of the concept of "great restaurants" might also be out of alignment with the general public.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:44 AM

Well, if 150 Euro is your ceiling, then you MUST go to "Les Ombres" the fab glass-ceiling rooftop restaurant at the new Quai Branly museum which appears to be just under the Eiffel Tower at night, where you can watch the sparkles go off on the hour, and see the Seine as well-it's just magical, and their tasting menu is 95E-this is a must-go restaurant, for the atmosphere alone, however, the food is great, and it is a hot table now-you must make reservations, or you won't get in.

www.lesombres-restaurant.com/
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

thank you Girlspytravel. Do you have to call them? I looked for an email address but i did not see one on the site. I am afraid since I don't speak French my attempt to call will be embarrassing and insulting. I have been making most of my reservations through email.

I suppose i am not familiar with what mid-priced is for France. When i see most meals starting at 30-40Euro a person and I see some of the best meals in Paris at 180-300Euro a person..I guess I assume 100-125 euro a person is mid-priced...
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:52 AM

sxc-please-no need to think "insulting!" Parisians are quite used to having people call and speak in the default language-English-of the world, so that is not a problem.

If you wanted to wait and make reservations there for a particular night, you might be able to do that, but I wouldn't want to chance it-I think you need to call them. Or, you could ask your hotel to make the reservations for you. But don't worry about calling-it will work, even if the person taking the reservation doesn't speak English that well, people do that all the time.

27, Quai Branly, 75007 Paris
Tel : 08 26 10 08 46
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, if most meals started at 30-40 euros per person, there would be precious few Parisians in any restaurant. I would say that "most" restaurant meals in Paris are 15-20€ (maybe about 70% of them), but this of course is not necessarily in restaurants to which tourists might go, and it does include the ethnic restaurants of the city.

Let's see -- my last 5 restaurants meals in Paris were:

today, at 'Italia in Bocca' at Bercy: meal with wine: 15.50€
yesterday, at 'Chez Quan' on the Champs Elysées: meal with municipal water: 7.50€
Tuesday, at (I think) 'Restaurant de la Poste' at Gambetta: meal with wine: 14.00€
Last Sunday, 'Shin Juku' on rue de Torcy, meal with beer 18€.
Last Saturday, 'Léon de Bruxelles' at Les Halles: meal with beer: 16€
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

kerouac-
It's good to hear there are reasonable meal prices! With the dollar weakening, I would love to dine at some very good restaurants for a reasonable price. I am guessing you may live there or have visited many times, could you recommend a few to me, even if they are a bit pricer than the normal.

This is my first time to Paris, and I am willing to spend a bit extra if I have to. I am staying at the Westin in the 1e.

I would love to go to highly recommendd local places, but I speak hardly any french as you may have read so i don't want this to be a problem to any restaurant i may visit. I'd love your advice. Thanks,
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:09 AM

Everybody goes to Chez Leon-for some strange reason the Chez Leon's are FAR better in Paris than they are in their native city of Brussels! I think the one at Mabillon is the best, Kerouac-they have these flat screen TVs where they show not only the mussel production for Chez Leon, but also show how their chefs prepare the mussel dishes on the menu! Most informative and interesting while you are waiting for your meal to arrive. I always go to Chez Leon in Paris-have been going there for over 10 years now, and ordering their "formule" -the Parisians love that "formule" (it makes me laugh!) beer, salad, mussels, frites, and of course, a fantastic "gaufre" (belgian waffle) with chocolate sauce to finish it off! Yum!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:30 AM

Towards the end of this long report, you will find some information on the excellent meals I had last fall; with the exception of Atelier Joel Robuchon, I did not spend more than 60 euro for dinner, and most of my meals were well below that figure.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34894706