Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Map for Walking in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-map-for-walking-in-paris-597779/)

gregeva1 Mar 9th, 2006 10:19 AM

Best Map for Walking in Paris

Does anyone know what is the best map for walking and taking the metro in Paris?

AnthonyGA Mar 9th, 2006 10:21 AM

There are so many interesting things to see on foot that one cannot really come up with a special map. The Michelin maps of Paris are the best, IMO. The Paris Transport Authority hands out maps of the Métro for free in every station (the Michelin maps also include Métro maps).

Images2 Mar 9th, 2006 10:28 AM

I always use the Michelin Paris Plan. It's a large map of all the streets in Paris. It's wonderful to see how all sections of Paris fit together as one! I usually xerox off sections of it for my daily plans.You can buy this at your bookstore here, or have them order it. Michelin also has a spiral book of maps for Paris. I bought mine in Paris. I find it harder to use because there is only a small section on each page. For the metro you just ask for the Plan des lignes, Just ask for a plan, at any metro window in Paris. It's very useful to save it at home for future trips. They have small plans, and larger ones. I much prefer the larger ones, but you'll have to request the grand plan. They are free. Many Paris travel planning books here have a metro map printed inside if you want to have one before you leave.

StuDudley Mar 9th, 2006 11:24 AM

I use the Michelin map in the spiral book form. Like Images2 said, it is a little difficult because you may need to leaf through 2 pages to get an idea of the route you want to take. On the otherhand, it fits into my back pocket which is convenient. I dispensed with the large all-in-one map that Images2 uses many years ago. I looked like a dufas with this unfolded 3'X4'map (or however big it is) when I stood on a street trying to figure out a route. Thi spiral book (and the larger map) both have street indexes, but the spiral book was a lot easier for me to use as I was walking and guiding my navagationally impared wife around Paris.

I try to advise others to NOT take the Metro - take the busses instead. They are above ground and you can see more. We often find a bus route that winds through an area, just to "check out" the area to see if we want to explore it more. You will need the Paris Metro, RER, and Bus map #2 to use the busses.

Stu Dudley

jules4je7 Mar 9th, 2006 11:30 AM

I like the laminated Streetwise Paris map -- it has a subway map on it, and is very detailed without being overly so. The compactness is also nice.

Jules

Ackislander Mar 9th, 2006 11:33 AM

I prefer the maps in book form, either the Michelin "Plan" or the "Plan de Paris par Arrondisements" (or soemthing like that). They are slightly difficult to follow across the city, but everyone in Paris seems to have one and use it. All my friends in London have a similar "London A-Z" (pronounced 'A to Zed') that is also wonderful. I also find a bus directory "Guide des Autobus Parisiens" extremely useful. It shows every bus route in Paris and every stop on each route, as well as transfer points. It also has Metro and RER maps. All these are available widely.

Indygirl2 Mar 9th, 2006 11:41 AM

I second the Streetwise map of Paris. I've used it on two separate trips and find it quite user friendly. Most of the major sites are highlighted on it and there are easy to see icons for the Metro and RER stops. It's easy to read and fits easily into my purse.

Kate

Robespierre Mar 9th, 2006 11:42 AM

There is a plethora of bus and Métro maps on the RATP site at

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/tous_plans_pdf.php

I recommend <i>Bus Paris (avec rues)</i> and <i>Bus touristique</i> to use the buses.

enzian Mar 9th, 2006 11:46 AM

We walked all over Paris (and never got lost) using one of those little &quot;pop-up&quot; maps. Very compact, but lots of information (including a subway map, which we never used).

grsing Mar 9th, 2006 11:55 AM

I haven't used the Streetwise Paris (yet), but I second Streetwise in general, I've used them in NYC, DC, and London, and have them for pretty much every city I'm visiting in the next couple months, and they've always worked very well, sturdy, accurate, and easy to read (only gripe is that they usually only cover the central city, so if you're staying somewhere outside of that, it won't be on the map).

Robespierre Mar 9th, 2006 11:59 AM

The M&eacute;tro network map is great for finding what line to take to a stop, but this one (available free on paper at RATP stations) is better for finding a street after you come up out of the ground:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...eur&amp;fm=pdf

twk Mar 9th, 2006 12:01 PM

Another vote for the pocket-sized, spiral-bound Micheline map of Paris by arrondisements. Other maps just don't give me enough detail, and this is much more convenient than a fold out map.

suze Mar 9th, 2006 12:02 PM

Our best street map turned out to be the free one we picked up in our hotel lobby.

gregeva1 Mar 9th, 2006 12:03 PM

THANK YOU FODORITES!!! A plethora of great information... I appreciate it.

travelbunny Mar 9th, 2006 12:10 PM

Michelin..but if I have a specific trip from pt a- b I put it in Mappy and press the pedestrian route....

Robespierre Mar 13th, 2006 05:49 PM

ttt