Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Luxury 5 star in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-luxury-5-star-in-paris-579512/)

travelinstinct Jan 7th, 2006 04:30 AM

Best Luxury 5 star in Paris?

My husband and I are in our 30's and want to visit Paris for the 1st time in September. The type of hotel we enjoy is usually: grande dame, opulent, well located, great service. We don't mind paying more for these hotels as long as it is worth it. We are not a flashy/rich couple and thus do not want to experience snob appeal if we stay in one of these expensive/exclusive hotels. We are wanting to book a superior or deluxe room. I've done a lot of research on the below hotels but still can't decide which one for a 3 night stay. If anyone could give me their personal experiences and pro's/cons, I would appreciate it. I've tried looking for more affordable luxury hotels (i.e. - 4 or 4.5 stars) but none seem to have all the things we're looking for or good reviews. If anyone can recommend other luxury hotels that would be more affordable that would be great. We do not like contemporary/trendy hotels, however, we are fine with boutique as well as large hotels. Since we will only be there for 3 nights, we are looking for a once in a lifetime experience.

Out of these, which is the best (I've listed some of my research/opinions thus far):
- George V (from my research: #1 on tripadvisor and opulent/great service but could be anywhere in the world - not necessarily in Paris so this is a draw back for me).

- Ritz (Love the interior public spaces but the rooms do not look all that great?)

- Bristol (Looks nice but terribly expensive; would have to find a better price if stay here.

- Plaza Athanee (gets some very bad reviews on tripadvisor)

- Meurice
- Crillon
- Raphael
- Lancaster

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

ira Jan 7th, 2006 04:59 AM

Hi T,

>...we will only be there for 3 nights,...<

May I suggest that you are giving short shrift to Paris?

Please consider dropping down a level in hotel and spending a week in Paris, especially if it is to be a "once in a lifetime" visit.

((I))

glsebs Jan 7th, 2006 05:19 AM

When we stayed at the Ritz several years ago we experienced a great deal of snobbiness....so much so that we checked out after two nights and checked into a 4 star hotel in the same area....La Tremoille.
We have stayed at the Meurice and the George V....we enjoyed both of these hotels. The George V is a Four Seasons but it still very "French" so I would not cross it off your list.

Tere Jan 7th, 2006 05:25 AM

I have to disagree with with glsebs. I love the Ritz! I've stayed there several times and long to return.
The rooms are lovely. I use to stay in suites but my kids stayed in regular room and it's also very lovely and luxurious. I have travelled all over the world and stayed in many luxury hotels but none compares to the Ritz. Service then is excellent!

travelinstinct Jan 7th, 2006 05:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. I should have also mentioned that we don't need any extra amenities: gym, spa, restaurants, etc. I know this defeats the purpose of staying in a 5 star but we mainly choose them for the opulence/decor, location, and service. For the above reasons, we would be just as happy in a boutique or luxury townhouse hotel but can't find any with good reviews. For example, I really like the pic's of the Hotel Napoleon but gets some very bad reviews on tripadvisor and not a lot of people seem to stay there. However, I much rather pay a premium for a suite with amazing view (if it's still opulent/clean) than a hefty price for small room and no view.

capecodshanty Jan 7th, 2006 05:56 AM

The Meurice. Hands down. A wonderful experience, wonderful staff,wonderful breakfast,and on the Rue de Rivoli. A room full of furniture I would have loved to have, though my home wouldn't have appreciated Louis XV style.
The Meurice was commandeered during World WarII by the Germans, as their Headquarters in occupied Paris. The General in charge of the occupation was so enamoured of Paris, he refused the order to destroy it-and the Meurice!.

Underhill Jan 7th, 2006 09:16 AM

The highest rating for Paris hotels is 4*L (for luxe); there are no 5-star hotels.

Have you looked at the Lancaster? One of their suites should certainly be in your luxury category.

mclaurie Jan 7th, 2006 09:54 AM

The fanciest I've stayed in is the Raphael. I think it's exactly what you're looking for. It is so French it is often used for filming. It's used by many actors. It also has a lovely rooftop bar/restaurant in addition to the lobby bar and restaurant. The furniture is period. It has that wrought iron elevator. What it may lack for you are top of the line modern bathrooms. Have a look on their website. Here's a link of some special pkgs.

http://www.hotels-packages.com/hotel....asp?langue=UK

travelbunny Jan 7th, 2006 10:05 AM

if you wish a hotel which "could be no where else but Paris", consider Pavillion des Reinnes. Maybe not quite the service of the Ritz or the Meurice but would still be very special.

mclaurie Jan 7th, 2006 10:12 AM

You might find these previous threads interesting (if not entertaining) to read

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34691219

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34577740

parislady Jan 7th, 2006 10:22 AM

You might check out the Westminster Hotel. It is absolutely lovely and very luxurious, service is impeccable. It is located very close to the Ritz in the 1st arondissement which is convenient for shopping, museum going and general strolling around. Some wonderful restaurants close by as well. Another suggestion would be the Hotel Relais Saint Germain on the carrefour de l"odeon in the 6th arondissment. Another delightful hotel, more intimate in a superb location for everything. Good Luck checking these out.

travelbunny Jan 7th, 2006 10:27 AM

whoops spelling..Pavillion de la Reine

Christina Jan 7th, 2006 07:39 PM

It's really Pavillon de la Reine, actually.

A 4*L hotel in Paris is the same thing as a 5* hotel, I don't know why people think that is so different to quibble over that all the time.

greece Jan 8th, 2006 12:30 AM

That's a difficult desicion. I personally have stayed at the Raphael. The Four Seasons seems to be the best hotel in Paris, but concerning the location factor the Meurice, The Ritz and the Crillon are better options. As a first timer i would choose the Meurice, it has a great location, spacious rooms , excellent restaurant and serivce. I've stayed in other Dorchester Hotel Group properties and they were top notch.
The Raphael is good, not in a very central location, but it has big rooms and good service. The only complaint is that they should freshen the thing up a little, but its a lot cheaper than the other Leadings-except the Lancaster which is similar priced.
But for these prices you can get a suite in other wuite good 4 star hotels, which -since you dont want many facilities- may turn out to be a better choice.
You may check these websites:
www.sofitel.com
www.worldhotels.com
www.slh.com
www.preferredhotels.com
www.summithotels.com
www.relais-chateaux.com
PS. We ve visited the Napoleon and it was very old. Cannot suggest a stay there.
PS2.The difference between a 4* and a 4*L hotels is non existent. Some of the tops hotel in Paris are just 4*.

travelinstinct Jan 8th, 2006 06:38 AM

WOW! This is the best forum! Thanks to all for such great advice. I've narrowwed it down to the following: (no particular order)

1)Plaza Athanee (love the luxury decor/location)- however, a lot of bad reviews on tripadvisor.
2)Meurice (also love the decor/loc.)
3)Crillon (Prob. my favourite so far due to "palace" feeling)
4)Bristol (very nice - but so incredibly expensive!!)

***IMO: Raphael: interiors too dark and not as centrally located.

Ritz: hate the superior/deluxe room decors.

Lancaster: looks nice but just not as appealing to me as the others.

***Questions:
1)Why is the George V not in as good as a location? It seems to be close to the P.Athanee - which people say is a very good location.
2)Anyone who has stayed at the Crillon - what are the views of the deluxe/superior rooms? Also, there seems to be a lot of neg. reviews on tripadvisor - any comments?
3)How can I get better rates for high season other than specials posted on the hotel websites?

*** We are not shoppers but do like to stay in the high-end areas; also looking to be central to all the main tourist sites.

Any other experiences at these or other luxury hotels would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Andre Jan 8th, 2006 07:54 AM

Travelinstinct,

Haven't stayed at any of these hotels, but can give you my opinion on their respective locations:

1) Basically, there are 2 clusters of luxury properties, the first comprises the Crillon, Meurice and Ritz while the second encompasses the George V and the Plaza Athenée. The Bristol stands roughly halfway between these 2 clusters.

2) If your primary interest is in seeing the sites and you will be exploring the city primarily on foot and by metro, I would strongly recommend staying in one of the hotels in the first cluster. From there, many sites can be easily reached on foot and the Concorde metro station has excellent connections, so almost all of Paris can be accessed with at most one change of trains. The properties in the other cluster are more suited to people with business in the Champs Elysées and "Triangle d'Or" areas, with the Bristol equally (in)convenient to both groups.

3) Within the first cluster, the Crillon has the advantage of being right at the Concorde metro stop and in a spectacular setting on the Place de la Concorde - the drawback for this is traffic noise (though assume the cheaper rooms face the quiet side street anyway). The Ritz has an intimate setting on the quieter and more exclusive Place Vendôme, while the Meurice offers the most convenient access to the Rive Gauche (Musée d'Orsay, St. Germain des Prés) through the Tuileries gardens and over the pedestrian Passerelle des Arts bridge, but also suffers from traffic noise on the very busy Rue de Rivoli. However, remember that all 3 of these properties are at most a 10 minute leisurely walk from each other, so it boils down to service levels as well as your individual preferences re: decor/setting when choosing between them. Either of these 3 hotels will provide you with an exceptional location from which to discover Paris.

4) A hotel that might provide better value to you in the same location as the Crillon is the Sofitel le Faubourg. Not in the same "Grand Hotel" league of course, but probably a suite for the price of a deluxe room at the other properties. Gets very good reviews on tripadvisor.com.
http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fiche...he_hotel.shtml

Finally, the Hotel de Vendôme is a boutique property right by the Ritz that might also be of interest. Excellent reviews on tripadvisor.com as well.
http://www.hoteldevendome.com/

Hope this helps,
Andre

greece Jan 8th, 2006 08:03 AM

I d go for the MEurice, the location is one of the best and it's a dorchester hotel.
Anyway i said that for the location of the George V/ Raphael/ Plaza Athenee , becayse imo there arent very conveniently located for a first time visitor. There are in one of the most upscale paris districts but escept the Arc De Triomphe , the Champs Elysees, the Grand Petit Palais and the fashion shops all other attractions require that you to take the metro or the cab. From Meurice, ritz or Crillon most of the top sites are in walking distance, the Louvre, Place Vendome, Notre Dame, Opera, Musee D'Orsay etc. are all near.
If you didnt know the Crillon occupies only a 1/3 of the beuilding you see in the brochures, and thus only the royal suites offer a view of the Place Concorde. The other rooms do overlook either the interior courtyard or the pedestrian rue Boissy D'Anglas. So dont expect a view. Some review state that the hotel maybe a bit snob, but never visited so cannot comment on that.
From the photos on their website the Bristol seems lovely , but i was a bit disapointed when i saw some photos of a junior suite at TA- too plain for 100euros a night).
By the way, the Raphael interiors arent dark at all, only the bar and lobby are dark wood panelled- see my room photos on TA.
Last but not least, to find better rates ou should try and telephone to your favorite hotels and ask for special rates. Youy may get one.

richardsonsnm Jan 8th, 2006 09:05 AM

i have stayed in numerous suites at the Four Seasons, beyond great, the Athenee, I give mixed reviews, I've stayed there half a dozen times and have had a number of bad rooms with backed up drains in the shower etc. sort of dingy and shoe boxed size, for 790 euro. The lancaster is nice and may be perfect because they have a great restaurant and sauna but you don't have to use either, the rooms facing the courtyard are the best, make sure you get one with a high ceiling. The Lancaster's prices are just under the Four Seasons Etc.

Underhill Jan 8th, 2006 09:35 AM

There have been numerous complaints both here and elsewhere about the Luteita's rooms--apparently some are a lot better than others, and it all depends on which you get.

greece Jan 8th, 2006 10:13 AM

I want 2 give u another suggestion. The hotel Scribe a 4*L hotel just opposite the Opera. rooms are large and the hotel will have finished the renovations they're doing by the time you get there.
Another top notch suggestion that may will be open at last? The fouquet's Barriere, just on the Champs elysses.