Reload this Page >

Best Location of Rome Hotels for Foodies

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:28 AM
john

Can you please advise the best location for staying 5 nights in Rome during the month of August? We're foodies that don't mind taking the bus/taxi during the day to different sites, but prefer to walk in the evening (max 20 minutes)to great restaurants (which I'll ask about another time)and soak up the locale. Thanks!

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:45 AM
laurel

Reading other strings, it sounds like the area of Trastevere had a lot of nice restaurants in it and also heard the Piazzo Navona was good (but don't know about restaurants there.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 09:21 PM
Vicki

Any suggestions?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:28 AM
Wendy

If you are a foodie and stay in Central Roma, then you will adore Ristorante Il Pellicano, on the via dei Gigli d'Oro #8. Make reservations for certain as this is one of the best...I'm still in awe.<BR><BR>Maria has over 450 dishes of her own personal creation ... her fish and ingredients are flown in and as fresh as fresh can be... she has a fantastic menu but I always ask her to choose, as she knows best!<BR><BR>We started with stuffed fried olives (shrimp stuffing)moved gracefully on to carpaccio of salmon with olive oil, lemon and thin slices of pear, diced artichoke with minced shrimp, olive oil and pepper, celery stalks with gorgonzola cheese, and braised monkfish with radicchio, rosemary, and peperoncino, cooked in prosecco wine and clam broth. Dessert was a creamy lemon and apple sorbet.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:19 AM
Rex

This might not be your best bet, location wise, but sometimes, when there is one great restaurant, there are others nearby. And Il Vivendo in the St. Regis Grand is a stunningly good place, if you are seeking haute cuisine.<BR><BR>Not necessarily &quot;better&quot; than the kind of &quot;full-of-gusto&quot; place that Wendy describes in her post... just different.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:51 AM
up

for john<BR>