Reload this Page >

Best location for Christmas Markets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 11:45 AM
John

I will be in Europe this Christmas season, destination is to be determined. I know Germany is known for Christmas Markets, but how close or far are they from Frankfurt? And will they be open the days right after Christmas? If Frankfurt does not work out we may go to London instead, are there any Christmas Markets around the London area that are worthwhile? Any other cities or world famous Christmas Markets I am missing?

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Angela

John <BR>London just can't compete on the "christmas market" scene. Unfortunately christmas in England just seems rather tacky, though hopefully things are improving. Germany (including Frankfurt) have some wonderful ones. Try Heidelberg,it is in the old part of town and is really pretty. There have been a few postings about this subject recently, I'll try to bring them up for you. <BR>Angela

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:03 PM
Angela

John <BR>see the posting "pre christmas shopping trip" brought to the top

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:11 PM
SharonM

Munich has a wonderful market right smack in the old town square! TONS of ornaments and nutcrackers!

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:11 PM
markizzy

I've been to both Innsbruck and Salzburg which are terrific. I'm sure some on this board will tell you how touristy Salzburg is, but walking around with some snow and seeing all the handmade items, sipping Gluwhein and eating a brat -- can't beat it.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:17 PM
jim

The Christmas Market in Nuremburg is first-class. Lots of wooden ornaments. Also, the art students there do chalk drawings on the sidewalk for spare change.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:26 PM
John

Thanks for the help so far, I have been doing some research on the topic and I am noticing most end right before Christmas. Are there any that extend beyond the 25th of December? I will not be in my destination until the 26th or 27th. Depending on where markets will still be open after Christmas, this will greatly affect my destination.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:27 PM
twocents

went to the vienna, salzburg & munich, which were good. someone recently posted the following info for strasbourg, which looks wonderful: <BR> <BR>http://www.strasbourg.com/noel99/ <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:30 PM
Angela

John, try this site and it will tell you dates of the markets. <BR>German Tourist Board <BR>www.deutschland-tourismus.de/e/index.html <BR>If you click on "events" you can then search for the markets, shopping ect <BR> <BR>Strasbourg I have also heard is wonderful <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 01:57 PM
Doug

Nuremberg's Christkindlmarkt is by far the best and the one everybody else emulates.

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 08:51 AM
heather

another christmas-related post.

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 08:55 AM
elaine

I was in Frankfort and Nuremberg for the Christmas markets last year. Frankfort is very festive and right in the city center. The Nurember Christmas market was by far the best. We enjoyed it very much!

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 06:03 PM
Glenn

John, all of the Christmas markets end on the 24th. The Germans have a 2 day holiday for celebrating christmas the 25th & the 26th. Make sure you have things set up before you get there if you go on the 26th.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 02:39 AM
jochen

John, another link for you: <BR> <BR>http://www.maerchenweihnacht.com <BR> <BR>It desrcibes the christmas market in Vipiteno/Sterzing, a little town in Alto Adige/Südtirol, the bilingual Italian/German speaking part of Northern Italy. They are open until January 7, which is not the norm since most christmas markets close before December 24. <BR> <BR>Regards, Jochen

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 02:47 AM
Mike

Nuremberg seems to be the "original" market, and one of the biggest. But we were in Frankfurt, went to the market not expecting a whole lot and we were very pleasantly surprised. It is very large; it extends all along the main shopping street and the old part of town. <BR>But, as mentioned above, everything shuts down by 2PM on the 24th. <BR>Enjoy.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 03:34 AM
Howard

Although it also ends on December 24, and so may not help the orignianl poster, there is a fine Christmas market in Luxembourg City, right in the main square. If anyone is in the area, try to make a stop.