Best located hotel in Athens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't decide whether to stay at the King George, NJV, Electra Palace on Syntagma Square or to stay at one of the funkier, hipper hotels in Psiri like Ochre & Brown.

How many minutes would it be to walk from Psiri area to Syntagma Square? Is Psiri a more fun and interesting area to stay in?

I really want a very good location and a small boutique type hotel but tend to like areas that are not right in the middle of the tourist meccas. Maybe something just a two or three minute walk from the center of things.

Also, anyone know anything about the Creta Maris near Heraklion on Crete? We're going to a wedding there and will be staying at Creta Maris for five days. What kind of a room is the best to get? Bungalow?

How about transportation to Crete? Is the overnight boat fun? Or just a waste of time? Better to fly?

Best hotel to stay at for final night in Athens convenient to airport? Holiday Inn Attica?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Fodorites!

Skip

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I would stay at the Sofitel at the Athens Airport. They had nice rooms and the hotel is right at the airport. Psiri area to Syntagma Sq is about a 10-15 minutes walk. Psiri is closer to the Plaka. I liked the Psiri area. Lots of restaurants and clubs. For 19 euros we flew from Athens to Crete...fast and easy.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM

I stayed at the Electra Palace and liked it very much. We went to dinner in Psiri, I think it would be a fun area to stay in, as the nightlife was good there. I can't remember if we walked from Electra Palace to Psiri- but I remember taking a taxi back. I would say for sites the Electra Palace is better, for dinner & nightlife Psiri.

I would fly to Crete.... unless you have a lot of time. We got a taxi in Athens at 4:00 in the am, no need to stay near the airport.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I also stayed at EP and walked to Psiri; as I remember it took us about 25 minutes or so. EP is a big, glossy "international" hotel. No real charm but well located;
Plaka was way too touristy for my tastes, although it is very pretty.