Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Jacket/Coat for Belgium and France for Oct.-Nov. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-jacket-coat-for-belgium-and-france-for-oct-nov-266591/)

Ronda Oct 17th, 2002 08:04 AM

Best Jacket/Coat for Belgium and France for Oct.-Nov.

Leaving for Belgium and France next week and trying to decide what jacket or coat to take. Only want to take one. <BR><BR>I did want to wear a zip up leather jacket but am rethinking this choice. Want to look nice but does leather do ok in rain? I also have a London Fog trench type coat with liner that I could take instead but just didn't think it would work with casual clothes.<BR><BR>My Mom has suggested I take her taupe packable (plastic) rain coat. My friend suggested I take my ski jacket with hood and liner which would be ok for sightseeing in Belgium and France but can't really see myself wearing this out to dinner in Paris.<BR><BR>Any ideas?

Hiho Oct 17th, 2002 08:35 AM

Dear Ronda - May I suggest a pareau. That is all you need for any contingency on the continent.

Laurel Oct 17th, 2002 09:19 AM

Ronda-<BR><BR>You should definitely only bring one piece of outerwear!<BR><BR>I've been in Paris this time of year twice, and my recommendation is that you either bring the leather jacket or the lined trench coat. Although it can be on the damp side, leather should be fine, especially if you spray it before you go with a water repellant that you can find at many shoe stores, including Coach, Parade of Shoes and Payless. The lined trench would work too, of course. As far as worrying about it not working with your casual clothes, I would avoid bringing too many things that look like sweats or work-out clothes. Don't know what your itinerary is like, but too casual just won't fit in. Almost everyone will wear sneakers (NOT white ones) with jeans and a sweater (especially on weekend days), but you don't often see people dressed more casually than that. Jeans and your trench coat would work fine -- on my last trip I brought a black, 3/4 length trench (with button out liner), and it worked perfectly. Have a great time!

BTilke Oct 17th, 2002 10:04 AM

Ronda,<BR>I see leather coats everywhere in Brussels, so assume they handle the rain fine. Avoid suede. A lined trench would be good, too. Do not forget gloves, hat and umbrella!<BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Ronda Oct 17th, 2002 05:09 PM

Thanks to all for your advice! especially BTilke in Belgium. The forecast at the moment doesn't look that wonderful - light rain on Friday the 25th.<BR><BR>Won't be wearing any sweat pants or running shoes except in the gym :). I'll take two pairs of shoes - one Ecco black walking shoes (Shaker style) and one pair of Naturalizer ballet type shoes with small wedge heel.<BR><BR>Hiho, what is a pareau? Sounds like a cape (just guessing).

eskint Oct 17th, 2002 05:27 PM

ronda:<BR>just returned from belgium - brugges, antwerp and brussels. rainy, cloudy. temps ranging from 40 to 50s. definitely bring an umbrella. light wool coat. hat, gloves and scarf. boots important. gets splashy light muddy. and don't forget those variably sized cobblestones.

MiMi Oct 17th, 2002 06:06 PM

We also just return from brugges, antwerp and brussels, france and germany. In fact arrive Monday evening. I am sorry but eskint is over dressing you. My husband wore a sport jacket and turtle neck shirts, I wore a light weight jacket and various long sleeve type shirts. Very comfort. Yes we had rain but not all day. We are from Chicago if that makes a difference.

BTilke Oct 18th, 2002 10:50 AM

Hi Ronda, <BR>I suggest you take a third pair of shoes. Those ballet shoes won't hold up in a late afternoon downpour. <BR>Weatherwise, the standard fall weather pattern in Brussels is a fairly sunny morning, with clouds building up after 1 pm and then rain sometime in the afternoon (often heaviest around 4:30 to 6 pm), which may or may not last through the evening. Today, for example, it started raining at 4:30 pm, was pouring an hour later, then slowed and stopped (8:30 pm).<BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Myriam Oct 18th, 2002 11:40 AM

Agree about the third pair of shoes. If the weather continues to be this bad, you will need them! Te coat: I would bring the trench coat with liner. <BR>BTW, still pouring in Antwerp (9.30pm), started at 3pm! :(

Ronda Oct 18th, 2002 07:02 PM

Well, those shoes were just for going to dinner. Pretty comfortable for dress shoes but your adivce is well taken. So, it has been very wet in Belgium? Hope it clears up. <BR><BR>Sounds like museum weather if it is that wet when we are there. Or shopping :). What are you favorites to do in Brussles and Brugge when it is raining?

BTilke Oct 19th, 2002 03:00 AM

If it's just raining, we go out and about as usual. If it's raining and windy (umbrellas useless), we hang out at a cafe (one of Brussels' few advantages over Paris is that there are many cafes with nice big fireplaces), go to a gallery, etc. Depending on your schedule, a fun thing to do is go to the previews at one of the big auction houses and look at the antiques and artwork about to go up for sale. Horta is a good one and they put their catalog on line---www.horta.be<BR>BTilke (Brussels)

cl Oct 19th, 2002 04:10 PM

Just returned from Paris and can tell you that end of last week when we arrived, it was very warm and sunny in the high 60's-no jacket required except when it cooled down at night. Went to Strasbourg last Sat. and it was cold and showery so we were glad we packed the winter coats. You need a coat with a lining as it was really cold-50's but felt colder. We returned to Paris last Monday and it was cooler than the week before, a couple days after that, it was cloudy and had off and on showers. It was around the 50's. However, yesterday when we left, the showers stopped but due to that, the air got much colder-40's. Then when the wind blew, it felt colder. So take your heavy coat or a leather coat is okay but you'll need to wear long sleeves underneath. Also be sure to bring or buy a warm scarf and a folding umbrella. <BR><BR>Don't obsess about how you look. Many people who live there wear jeans and leather jackets. Comfort and practicality are more important. Believe it or not some people were wearing running shoes-didn't look like they were tourists.

Ronda Oct 21st, 2002 10:54 AM

Thanks for the report, CL. Looks like it will be even wetter and cooler end of this week.