Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Itinerary for Rome ??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-itinerary-for-rome-124684/)

Christina May 18th, 2001 05:05 AM

Best Itinerary for Rome ???

My husband and I will be in Rome for a number of days during our month long trip to Europe. We are trying to figure how many days would be best to get a good overview of Rome. Right now we are figuring on three days. Any suggestions on "must see's" or things we should pass on?

Rex May 18th, 2001 06:30 AM

You won't be "done" with Rome in three, and many people would not be done in seven - - but it depends a lot on where else you are planning to go, and how prepared you are to deal with the "intensity" of Rome. <BR> <BR>Personally, I prefer the (relatively greater) serenity of more rural destinations. But all of Italy is intense - - in a good way. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

frank May 18th, 2001 07:58 AM

We just returned from a 17 day trip to Italy which included four nights in Rome. Since we arrived in the early evening of the first day and flew home early in the morning on the last day, we really had 3 full days. You certainly can't see everything, but you can do the highlights. What we did was the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's on day 1. The Colloseum, the Forum, the Pantheon, and Borghese gallery on day 2, and day 3 for walking around the various piazzas, fountains, shopping areas, etc. Several of the guidebooks, (Rick Steves "Mona Winks", Fodor's, etc. have good walking routes to see the sights in each area logically.

Mary May 18th, 2001 08:59 AM

Hi Christina, <BR> <BR>We were in Rome for 7 days and I could have easily spent a few more. I can't really think of anything that you should pass on (although we spent all of 2 minutes at the spanish steps). The major sites are all "must see's" and how you pick and choose is really a matter of personal interest. Having recently completed I, Claudius and Claudius the God, I found the Museo Nazionale Romano a must see. They have some amazing Frescos from the country home of Augustus and Livia, amongst others. You should plan on getting the 5 day pass for the Coloseum, Palatine and various museums. It's a great bargain for only 30,000 lire. There is a little ticket office right behind the Museo Nazionale Romano (across the street from the train station) where you can get the pass, as well as tickets/reservations to the Domus Aurea (Nero's golden house). I very much enjoyed the Domus Aurea, but I think others have found it so-so. Again, just a matter of personal interest. <BR> <BR>Have fun, <BR> <BR>Mary <BR> <BR>

Rex May 18th, 2001 05:25 PM

Hi Frank, <BR> <BR>Glad to see you're back safe and sound. where else did you go, besides Rome? <BR> <BR>Next mailing to the "interest group" of our "Fodorites' trip" (with bcc: to you) in the next 7-10 days. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

frank May 19th, 2001 07:41 AM

Rex: <BR>I kept a "journal" on my Palm Pilot while traveling, and just finished transferring the information to an MS Word file. I'll send it to you as an attachment. Anyone else who is interested can E-mail me. <BR>Frank

Capo May 19th, 2001 08:57 AM

Hi Christina. If all you & your husband are looking for is, as you said, an overview of Rome, then I'd think three days would suffice. (We were there for seven days recently -- and wouldn't have wanted any less -- but Rome was also our primary destination.) <BR> <BR>Anyway..."must sees"? At the top of the list I'd put (grouped by location)... <BR> <BR>. St. Peter's & the Vatican Museums (which includes the Sistine Chapel) <BR>. the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and Campo di Fiori <BR>. the Colloseum, the Roman Forum, Michaelangelo's Campidoglio, & the view from the white marble Vittorio Emmanuelle II monument <BR>. the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, & the Quirinale Palace <BR>. the Borghese Gardens and Museum <BR>. a night walk through Trastevere