Albania Macedonia Tour

Search

Albania Macedonia Tour

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2018, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Albania Macedonia Tour

I recently returned from a two week trip touring Albania and Macedonia. My advice - visit these countries only if you're a travel newbie or someone who has all ready visited 193 out of the 195 recognized countries.

While the geography of both countries is impressive, there's very little there to draw an experienced traveler. We've seen it all before and in better shape. The exception being if you want a week at a resort in Ohrid, Macedonia. The lake is beautiful and it's a good place for a get a way.

Over the last year I've read a number of articles touting the wonders of these two countries. I know think they were unacknowledged advertisements, not objective travel news.

The countries are clean (though you'll run into some interesting bathrooms), people friendly (many speak English), but as a destination for EXPERIENCED travelers it doesn't measure up.

All this is just MO...however...it was shared the the majority of our travel group.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 03:09 AM

All depends on the interests of people travelling through these countries.
North Macedonia is famous for it's archeological places like Heraklia (Bitola) and Stobi, it's many old othodox churches with frescoes (many of them in or around Ohrid), and for stunning Lakes (Ohrid, Prespa) and landscapes.
Among the higlights of Albania aer the beaches in the Greek speaking part of the country (Ksamil, Saranda, Palermo, Himera, Dhermi, etc.), the archeological sites of Butrint, Apollonia and Durres, the scenic historical cities of Girokaster and Berat, the National Museum at Tirana, the Fortress of Kruje,the lakes of Ohrid and Shkoder, a cruise through the stunning fjord landscape of Koman.....

People who don't like all these things are definitely wrong in Albania or North Macedonia.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 05:58 AM

I had a great time in Albania and Macedonia a few years ago. My trip included Kosovo as well. And I am also an EXPERIENCED traveller. It does all depend on your interests really.