I am trying to plan the perfect scenic train ride from Lac Léman to Basel...
I'll be traveling by regional train and think I know the "right" general route to take -- that is:
Montreux -> Zweisimmen -> Speiz -> Bern -> Basel.
Right now I'm trying to decide - what's the best place to stop for a one- or two-hour break along the way? (It's OK if it involves adding another town into the route...) My initial ideas are:
-- Bern, for a long walk through the old city.
-- Some scenic mountain town that has both great views and plenty of cozy places to relax with a cup of hot chocolate (but I'm not really sure which one that would be...)
-- Murten - other people's pictures looks beautiful...
For context, this is my first visit to Switzerland since I was a child but unfortunately it will be a short trip (one week). Other things I'll be doing include spending three nights at Lac Léman (in the Vevey area), several days in Basel (mainly seeing visiting relatives), then one night in Solothurn before flying out of Zurich. If you're wondering why I'm avoiding Lucerne -- that's because it's the one place in Switzerland I've been, and I also don't want to be any place too touristy (I have a sensitivity...).
Anyway, with this train ride, I was hoping to squeeze in a short visit to some other town -- hence my bulleted list of options.
I started out assuming I would stop in Bern. But lately I am really attracted to the idea of stopping in the mountains, if there's someplace that has both a charming village atmosphere, a few cafes to choose from, and maybe an easy walk that could be done in an hour or so (Wengen maybe? Or is that really just someplace you go when you're skiing?)
If you have insights, I'd appreciate them!
thanks a lot,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 HP PRINTER 1800:681:7208 installation CONTACT HP Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 3 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 4 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 5 London vacation rental agency
- 6 The 2017-18 Ashes thread - up now on the Aussie forum.
- 7 Scotland ideas
- 8 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 9 land vs river cruise
- 10 The World's Greatest Churches
- 11 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 12 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 13 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 14 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 15 Malaga Christmas lights
- 16 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 17 Trans Siberian Train
- 18 Tips for first trip to UK
- 19 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 20 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 21 South of France
- 22 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 23 Traveling to Ukraine with a travel guide
- 24 My France Vacation
- 25 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)
best "intermission point" on scenic train ride from Montreaux to Basel?