Best hotels you have been to in Europe?

Sep 27th, 2002, 01:11 PM
singapore

Best hotels you have been to in Europe?

I would love to hear about the best hotels you have stayed at in Europe. Mine would be the George V in Paris.

Sep 27th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Rex

While I have stayed in a number of world class hotels in the US, and I have walked in a few in Europe, I have almost never stayed in one.

The Schweitzerhof in Lucern is, perhaps one exception.

Not quite in the same class as the Breakers or the Santa Barbara Biltmore - - but still way up there.

I do like to go to the top of the line hotels for dinner in Europe. Particularly impressed by Villa d'Este (Cernobbio, on Lake Como), St. Regis Grand in Rome, Chateau D'Esclimont (St. Symphorien, outside Paris) and Chateau d'Artigny (Montbazon, near Tours in the Loire Valley).

Best wishes,

Rex

Sep 27th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Bob Brown

I am a mid range 3-star guy myself.
I seek comfort, convenience, and moderate pricing.
My 3 favorites:
the Astoria in Munich
the Carlton Opera in Vienna
the Aiglon in Paris.
The first 2 are great values because of the location and the breakfast which is included in the nightly rate.
Both the Astoria and the Carlton Opera feature a feast at breakfast, with more variety than you can imagine. I have yet to find anything even close in the USA.
It is a different world over there.
A breakfast at Fairfield Inns is a total and complete joke compared to either place. In fact, I would rate it pitiful in comparison.

Sep 27th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Rex

Don't get me wrong, Bob - - take away those top shelf places (in the US), and I am totally in love with accommodations in Europe - - two and three star ones - - head and shoulders over places which cost twice as much in the US.

Sep 28th, 2002, 12:51 PM
kelda

The best hotel I stayed in was the National Grand hotel in Lucerne. Not only is the hotel 5 star but the rooms were spacious and nicely decorated. I could sit in the balcony all day and watch lake lucerne (not more than 50 yards from the balcony), mountains and amzing views of all off lucerne. At night I was able to hear the cruising boats with their music as well as see the lights on the top of mount Pilatus which is just breathtaking.

Sep 28th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Debbie

It is a tie between the four seasons in London and Lord Byron in Rome.

Sep 28th, 2002, 01:22 PM
janis

I usually rent a flat or stay in small 2 or 3 star places. But twice I have splurged - George V in Paris was terrific. And the Dorchester was all I expected.

I know there are posher places in London - but I just can't rationalize the money when renting a fab 3 bedroom penthouse for a week costs less than a hotel room costs for 2 or 3 nights.

Sep 28th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Herb Roycroft

I really enjoyed Dromoland Castle and Sheen Falls Lodge,both in the south of Ireland.I know from this board that many Fodorites have stayed in Dromoland-it is near Shannon AIrport.Sheen Falls is a modern hotel with excellent French cuisine which is served at dinner.

Sep 28th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Nicky

I totally agree with Bob. LOVE the Aiglon in Paris. Love having two bathrooms there. Love the room. Love the proximity to everything.

Loved the Hotel Claris in Barcelona -- the only 5 star hotel we ever stayed in.

Loved the Radisson SAS in Copenhagen. So many windows, so much fun. Great breakfasts.

Finally, the Bellvue in Berne, but stayed there many years ago on my friend's father's expense account. Smack in the middle of a very neat city.

Sep 28th, 2002, 02:36 PM
richard j vicek`

Good afternoon, Singapore
Here is my list of best hotels in Europe.
Paris- Chateau Frontenac
Venice-Hotel Saturnia and La Fenice
Rome- De lLa Ville and the Forum
Florence - Continental and Lungarno
Assisi-Windsor Savoia-
Bologna - Roma
Interlaken- Victoria Jungfrau
Zurich - Splugenschloss
Luzern - Wilden Mann
Weggis - Albana (have not but want too.)
Grindelwald-Schweizerhof
Zermatt - Monte Rosa
Sorry but these are four or three star
hotels, may not be the best but we certainly have enjoyed them for many
years. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Sep 28th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Kate

The Hotel Europe in Emgelberg, Switzerland, nestled in the Swiss Alps with air so clean and crisp you can almost bite it.

Sep 28th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Kate

Oops, that should be Engelberg

Sep 28th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Teresa

The best by far was the Ritz in Paris. Followed by the St Regis Grand in Rome, the Claris in Barcelona and the Dorchester in London. Oh, and I loved a countryside hotel in Spain , next to the Portuguese border called Rocamador. It's lovely.

Sep 28th, 2002, 02:57 PM
JOdy

My favorite place anywhere anytime..Plumber Manor in Sturminster Newton..I just feel that I am at home and I have lived there for the 400 or so years that the family that owns it have!relaxed but wonderful and the owner is the most charming man I have ever met!

Also am enchanted with Domaine des Hauts de Loire, in Onzain between Blois and Amboise... I just like the rooms, the food , the staff, the ambiance!

Probably the most eccentric and absolutley the best food I have ever tasted...God help my cholesterol!..Sharrow bay several years ago when it was still owned and managed by Francis and Bryan! Hope it has not changed.

I am a great fan of country house hotels , especially when personally owned and operated. The great city hotels , George V, Lanesborough do not hold any interest to me. I love quirks!

Sep 28th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Judy

Another vote for Domaine de Haute de Loire. We also loved Chateaux Richeaux in Cancale, Hotel d'Europe in Avignon, Il Pelicano in Porto Ercole and the Park Hotel in Kenmare.

Sep 28th, 2002, 03:16 PM
triplexxx

1- george v in paris for hotel service
2- Lansbourgh in london for rooms
3- danieli in venice for the lobby
4- gritti in venice for location

Sep 28th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Jon

Sacher in Vienna.
Le Sirenuse in Positano.
j.

Sep 28th, 2002, 04:42 PM
JOdy

Judy..tried to book Chateaux Richeaux in cancale for this years trip...in MAY..totally booked. Have to try again. Trying Moulin du Vey as a central location and La bretagne et sa residence in Brittany! can't wait to be able to critique!

Sep 28th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Wanda

<<we all see through you>>

What on earth does this mean?

Sep 28th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Sandra

Relais La Suvera - Pievescola, Tuscany. A 13th C. Papal Palace, turned into a serene and special hotel in the countryside. Gracious service -- never stuffy or intimidating.

Lucknam Park - near Bath. Gorgeous rooms, wonderful service, beautiful grounds, fantastic food, nice spa.

Montana - in Lucerne. Glorious views of the lake and the mountains. Good Food.

Strandhotel Belvedere - Spiez on Lake Thun. Near Interlaken. Lovely, quiet hotel, far removed from the tourist frenzy, with beautfiul views of the lake and the castle in Spiez.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO