Best Hotel In Venice

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Hotel In Venice

We will be in Venice for three nights in May. Any suggestions for a first class stay.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Do you mean 'first class' as in deluxe 5* or 'first class' in 'excellent servic' no matter it's a 3* hotel?
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

First class as in 5 star. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Well, that is supposed to be easy. The Danieli or Gritti Palace. I personally have not had the opportunity to stay in either, but these are certainly by reputation the best luxury hotels in Venice. I suggest a search here and on tripadvisor.com for others real experiences with these hotels.

My cousin stayed at the Bauer Grunwald and felt the flavor of the hotel was too sterile and not evocative enough. I had an occasion once to ask the staff there for help with something, and they weren't just great: they were amazingly wonderful, helpful and kind.

I did stay once in the Metropole, which I loved. This is more "boutique" than the top of the line places mentiioned earlier, but it was special. The hotel is family owned, very nicely appointed, and service is terrific. I highly recommend this hotel is the others aren't what you are looking for. Actually, the Metropole is gorgeous and the staff and food are great.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

As for The Danieli or Gritti Palace, that is exactly what I thought. However, I was reading other posts, and many posts indicated that was not so. We have reservations at Gritti Palace, and I just want to make sure that I've made the right choice. Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 05:21 AM

We stayed at the Danielli. It is truly 5* - but in a very Venetian, ornate, baroque sort of way. If you want modern this is not the place for you. We found the service excellent - but did meet another American couple who hated it - they felt it was too obtrusive and too personal/eccentric. (I think they would have been much happier being half-ignored in a standard Hilton.)
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:11 AM

I stayed at the Gritti three years ago. It is a very nice hotel but was showing its age. It was in need of refurbishment/redecoration and the staff wasn't all that helpful. I don't like the location of the Danieli which is right next to San Marco and across from a vaporetto stop--very busy all day and tourists are constantly popping into the lobby to check it out. If you can afford it, there is no question that the most luxurious five star hotel is the Cipriani.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Subadive- Have you considered Cipriani.I got married there last Sept. The hotel is a once in a life time experience.It's worth investigating.
Best of luck
Fluffy
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Actually I have definitely considered The Cipriani -- however, posts that I have read state to NOT stay there but rather to stay in Venice proper. It has been stated that The Cipriani is just too far from the sites of Venice. I can't imagine that being a problem, but having never been to Venice, perhaps it is.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:51 AM

There is no accounting for likes and dislikes: unlike Grinisa, I actually like the fact that the Gritti is near San Marco and whether or not anyone is "popping in and out of the lobby" doesn't make any difference to me.

You can't go too far wrong in terms of luxury with any of the places mentioned to include the Bauer..they are all pretty luxurious by most measures of things.

Sorry that none of us can do much about reputed "rude" or "unhelpful" staff just as there is nothing we can do about arrogant and unreasonable hotel patrons.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 11:01 AM

No, I said I didn't like the location of the Danieli being next to San Marco. I very much like the location of the Gritti Palace--a very quick walk to San Marco but not in the middle of all that commotion. The Danieli has two wings, the older very ornate and Venitian looking palazzo and a modern wing so if you do choose it you can stay in a room that suits your taste. The Cipriani is a five minute private boat ride from San Marco, hardly far away. And being across the lagoon from Venice proper, has some spectacular views of the city.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

So it seems that Gritti Palace or Cipriani Hotel would suit us just fine. I have read just too much negative to consider The Danieli. Anyone have any input on the selection of Westin Europa & Regina? Another problem I am encountering -- booking a quad room. All the reservations only allow a maximum of three, some only two.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:06 AM

I, too, prefer to stay in Venice proper but Cipriani is such a short boat ride away that I would stay there, as well. I think that other islands are farther away and take longer to get to on public transportation. If you were to stay at Hotel Cipriani, they have a private launch and it's just a quick trip across the lagoon to go back and forth to Venice proper.

I also agree that the hotel is the epitome of luxury and class.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:51 AM

It has been my experience that quad rooms at luxury five star hotels are very rare, if they indeed exist. When we stayed at the Gritti we had our two young daughters with us. I too looked for a quad and was told that they didn't have one. We got a double deluxe room which was huge and they brought in a rollaway bed that was slightly bigger than an average twin size bed. The girls slept together in that. OK for a 7 and 4 year old but if your children are any bigger, not an option. Maybe the Gritti's triple is big enough for a rollaway in addition to the three other beds. At other five star hotels we had to get two double rooms that connected.
Not the cheapest way to go. Good luck.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Even a triple in these hotels is not the greatest. You are paying a huge amount for luxury - and then going to pack everyone into one room? If the kids are over about 7/8 the roll-away bed will not really be comfortable for them. And obviously there's now ay two bigger kids could share the rollaway.

Why not just go for two rooms in a moderate hotel - so you can have two baths - and all be comfy?
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:53 AM

I have stayed at Cipriani three times. It is an unbelievable experience. People will look at you with envy as you board the private launch on Riva Schiavoni. The most important people in the world stay at Cipriani. Cipriani is also the only hotel with a swimming pool in all of Venice. Rooms are very expensive, however. I paid (actually my employer paid) over $1000 for a room, and the last time I was in Venice was 1999. With the current exchange rate, prices should give you the shivers.

I think NYCFOODSNOB has also stayed at Cipriani.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM

I stayed at the Cipriani in the 80's while working on a film called "Sins". It was fun because most of the cast was staying there and it was a great party atmosphere. It would not be my personal pick if I was not with a large group. My favorite Venice hotel is definately the Danieli. I did just book my dad and his travel companion into the Gritti for $868 per night for a double room / 5 nights. You really cannot go wrong with any of the top hotels mentioned in the tread. The only hotel I did not like in Venice was on Lido and I think it was called the Excellsior...bad location for us.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:56 PM

We stayed at the Danieli. This ornate hotel had a lovely outdoor area for breakfast overlooking the daily activity of the canals. We did not midn the location. We found it convenient. Our room had silk on the walls and a marble bath but was somewhat small. We were there about 7 years ago.