Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best hotel for one night in Madrid? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-hotel-for-one-night-in-madrid-651454/)

chi_jen Oct 7th, 2006 10:26 AM

Best hotel for one night in Madrid?

When we finish up our trip in Spain in mid-late November, we will have one afternoon/evening in Madrid before we fly out the next morning. Wondering what the best bet is for a hotel at less than $150 per night? I understand that it is about a 20-minute cab ride to the airport from city center so we are not trying to stay near the aiport. We want to be as close to the best attractions as possible since we have very limited time.

Robert2533 Oct 7th, 2006 11:47 AM

You want something comfortable, with some room. The Hesperia Hermosilla *** is currently running a special of 96.30€/night for a double room. It's an excellent Boutique hotel in the Serrano (Salamanca) district, and only a short walk to the Prado.

Viajero2 Oct 7th, 2006 12:51 PM

If you only have on eovernight in late November, your best bet is staying close to Plaza Mayor or Puerta del Sol. I recommend Hotel Atlantico on Gran Via, about 10 minute walk to Plaza Mayor and with an airport van service.

josele Oct 7th, 2006 01:45 PM

According to my brochure, the Hesperia Hermosilla is 195€ double on weekdays and 90€double room on weekends, as Salamanca is a business district. You better check at www.hoteles-hesperia.es phone +34 91 246 8801.
The Prado and Thyssen is very near, though I take the bus. There are good shops around.

Maribel Oct 7th, 2006 03:38 PM

chi_jen,
The new Hesperia Hermosilla is running some very good internet specials at the moment (I've been tracking the rates), and it's on a very fashionable street (corner of Lagasca and Hermosilla) in the tony Salamanca quarter, in the middle of retail heaven. It's quite stylish for the price, and even the standard rooms are a decent size. I took a tour of the property in March. It has a very attractive atrium lobby, it has maintained some of the distinguished architectural elements of its past as a private mansion and it has a lot of style. I like it. It only has 3 stars because it doesn't have an in house restaurant and a few other 4 star requirements, but it doesn't feel at all like a "budget" property. It's quite upscale and fits in with the upmarket area. It's a 15-20 min. walk to the Prado.

worldinabag Oct 7th, 2006 04:09 PM

Hi

Try the Hotel Moderno - http://www.hotel-moderno.com. Take a room with a terrace. I haven't stayed there but looks like a decent deal. Near Puerta del Sol which is an excellent location.

Good luck

chi_jen Oct 8th, 2006 02:43 PM

Thanks for the help with this. The Hesperia Hermosilla looks great but unfortunately we will be in Madrid on as Thursday night which is running about 145 euros at that hotel. That's a little more than we want to spend for one night there. If you have any other suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Maribel Oct 8th, 2006 03:01 PM

chi_jen,
Have you checked some of the other internet booking sites such as
www.bookings.org
www.hotelclub.net
www.utell.com
www.laterooms.com

I just checked the Hermosilla for Thurs. Nov. 2 for myself (last minute trip) on
www.bookings.org and see a double rate for 100 euros. It also lists a double for 100 on Utell and for 107 on LateRooms.

fontmn Oct 8th, 2006 05:28 PM

We just returned from our trip in Spain last Sunday. Our last two nights (last Friday and Saturday) were in Madrid. We stayed at Hotel Ateneo Puerta del Sol - www.hotel-ateneo.com - for 107 euros per night and included a very nice free breakfast. They also have a computer with internet access at the disposal of guests.
We very much enjoyed our stay there and would stay again without hesitation.
It's within the Puerta del Sol area, and near Gran Via.
You may want to check out the various reviews about the hotel on Tripadvisor.com. I believe they've rated it number 12 - not bad at all considering all of the hotels that exist in Madrid!
Enjoy your visit.