Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Hotel area to stay in Rome for 60something mom

Jul 8th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

I need some help determining the best location/area to stay for a trip to Rome. I'm in my younger 30s and have been to Rome several times and mainly stay around the Pantheon and love this area, however I am planning an upcoming trip with my mom (in her late 60s) who has never been to Rome, who can walk some but gets tired very, very easily - I'm used to walking around whenever I travel so I'm looking for some suggestions as to best accommodate her and make it a fun (and not exhausting) trip still! It will be a shorter trip, probably 3 full days in Rome - so I'll make sure she sees all the main sites (Coliseum, Vatican, etc) and I'm confident in my planning abilities in Rome to hit all the sites just need suggestions on where to stay and how best to get around! Thanks!!
Jul 8th, 2014, 11:30 AM

Having taken my mother to Europe when she was in her 70's, I found the best way to cope with her varying energy levels was to take public transportation early in the day and get taxis later when she pooped out.

My point is, find a place to stay she'll love and then proceed as above. There really isn't a single area that will prevent her from becoming tired. It's the cumulative effect of the day's activitites that does it, so just find a place you'll both love returning to by taxi.
Jul 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM

why would you think that the Pantheon was not the right area for your mum? it is widely felt with the Piazza Navona to be the most central area of Rome and is very well placed for public transport and taxis. also there is a lot to see within a very small area so whichever direction you walk in, there will be something interesting to see.

Choose the right hotel where a taxi can pull right up to the door and you should be in business. Also, being not that far off my 60s myself [and having travelled with my mum as well], what us "older" ladies tend to like is somewhere where they can sit and have a cup of tea, or a G&T, [and possibly a meal as she may not feel like going out if you've had a tiring day] and watch the world go by without having to leave the hotel.
Jul 8th, 2014, 12:07 PM

I agree with annhig. I've visited Rome fairly frequently for the last 7 years with my early 70's mom and we tend to stay in the Pantheon/Navona/Largo Argentina area. I found using the buses very helpful. There are good bus connections at Largo Argentina that can get you to many (if not most) tourist sites. If you click on my screen name you will find all my trip reports including the ones from Rome going back to 2007.
Jul 8th, 2014, 12:31 PM

What is it your mom likes to do? If your mom likes food, then it argues for one area of Rome. If she likes shopping, then maybe another. If she is going because she cares a lot about Catholicism, or Judaism, or ancient history, then I would pick yet another area.

If there is no particular specialty, then I would pick a highly regarded hotel with an elevator and a restaurant (or one next door) PLUS budget for taxis. Forget buses and metros as the primary solution. Use taxis, and learn how to get them, although learning the bus and tram system is GREATLY helpful and worth doing.

I think I would probably give a preference to a hotel located in a flat walking area with smooth walking surfaces. You might find that more easily in the areas of Rome near the via Margutta, the via Babuino and via del Corso, or the Cola di Rienzo, or the via Veneto and the piazza del Populo. It can be tough to walk at night where there are no sidewalks, where there is poor lighting, and where cobblestones make it easy to turn an ankle.

The areas of Rome around the via Margutta or the via Ripetta or the via del Corso are full of life and sass. They are important parts of Rome and very convenient to the sights. The presence of flat sidewalks around there is a plus, and you can find plenty of restaurants that are actually much better than what you will find around the piazza Navona.
Jul 8th, 2014, 01:42 PM

I think the area you're staying in is as good as it gets. I would just plan on using taxis to and from the sights and saving her walking ability for within the sights themselves.

Separately, and I know this is none of my business - but unless there is a specific reason for her very low energy level she may be able to increase it with an exercise program. 60s is awfully young to be that tired without a specific underlying cause. (She may have 30 more years of not being able to get around, which would be a shame if it can be addressed.)

(My mom was always a walker and at 93 still walks to the senior center or library - 4/5 blocks each way - when the weather is nice. In her 60s she could walk for an hour at least. But she wasn't one to drive everywhere her whole life. As I said - your mom's situation may be completely different - but it sort of sounded as if you thought that was normal for a woman in her 60s.)
Jul 8th, 2014, 03:34 PM

<< Her drunken posts are flat out obnoxious. >>

And yours aren't?

You can be highly informative but, once again, you are reverting to poster bashing that got you banned several times already. Knock it off.
Jul 8th, 2014, 03:40 PM

So sad !
Jul 8th, 2014, 04:14 PM

I think this was a justifiable time to speak up, in response to nyt's unfortunate comments.
Jul 8th, 2014, 05:11 PM

The Vatican requires a lot of walking and standing which may tire your mother. They do offer wheel chairs.

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...o_Servizi.html

If your mother is opposed to a wheel chair then you could buy a portable seat that folds down so she can sit when she gets tired.

Take taxis to each site. Radio Taxi has dispatchers who speak English or if you're staying at a hotel then they will call a taxi for you. They're easy to hail in the street when you're going from one sight to another or returning to your hotel.

Piazza Navona area is great. Another option is Campo dei Fiore. Both areas offer lots of restaurants and it's nice to sit out in the square in the evening with a glass of wine or coffee before returning to your hotel. Campo dei Fiore has a morning market. When I stayed in this area we went to the square for breakfast and a stroll through the market before setting out for the day. It was a wonderful start to the day to see all the people and market vendors, it energized us for the upcoming sightseeing.
Jul 8th, 2014, 05:49 PM

I would stay at the Albergo del Senato by the Pantheon. It is well located, with lots of atmosphere. A wonderful hotel.
Jul 9th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! I think I will stick with the Pantheon area and use the taxi's & buses. I hadn't thought about a hotel with an elevator! And the portable seat that folds down is a great idea, I recall seeing an older couple on my last visit to Rome using one and thought it was great. This really helped me out a lot to hear what others have done (and budgeting for taxi's) and remembering that we will be doing a lot of sitting and having a cup of tea (or wine) is fine with me!
Jul 9th, 2014, 07:31 AM

For someone who tires easily, I think a wheel chair at the Vatican Museums is almost a must. It's so crowded, and, in the summer, also very hot, that even a very fit young person could feel wiped out before getting to the Sistine Chapel. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend it for someone who tires easily.

The Colosseum is also very crowded, and can be brutally hot in the summer. I would try to go as soon as it opens and plan on staying for only a short time. I wouldn't take a tour, as they last two hours or more. There are excellent informational signs, in Italian and English. You can also download free audio tours for your smart phone or mp3 player.

I would try to focus on some of Rome's hidden gems, where you won't encounter crowds, instead of the big "must-sees". You might also want to visit the Villa Borghese park, where you can rent a golf cart to get around. The Janiculum Hill is also very restful and shady, with great views of the city.
Jul 9th, 2014, 08:37 AM

another place [or rather places ]where you can sit and rest in peace and quiet are churches. Virtually every church in Rome has something interesting to see and no body minds if you just go in and sit down. We have done that quite often to escape the madding crowd. The Blue guide is a good resource for telling you what there is to see wherever you are.

Museums are also good; not the best known ones perhaps but there are masses of them and some have very few visitors. the Museum of Rome, for example has several branches, one on the main Corso Vittorio Emmanuale near the Pantheon has a vey interesting collection and a lift. The other lovely place your mother may appreciate is the Villa Doria Pamphilij on the Via del Corso - I'm not sure if there is a lift, but it is blessedly free of crowds, has some great art works as well as a very interesting audio-guide to the family's rooms, and can be taken at your own pace. plus there is a lovely tea-shop downstairs.