Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Home Bases for visiting Southwest Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-home-bases-for-visiting-southwest-ireland-989103/)

jso727 Aug 19th, 2013 03:57 PM

Best Home Bases for visiting Southwest Ireland

Hello,

I posted previously about feedback for my 10 days in Ireland (thank you for the replies, much appreciated). I've been rethinking some of my initial plans. We are flying into Dublin and leaving from Kerry Airport, with 10 days to visit (or 9, depending on jet lag on the first day).

We were going to spend the first two days in Dublin and then make our way west with a few stops here and there. We are thinking now that after those two days in Dublin, we will drive straight through to Galway to spend a few days.

I'd really like to see the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle, and drive the Beara Peninsula (I removed Rock of Cashel from the itinerary after realizing just how far out of the way it would be for us). We've also decided to try and cut back on the number of hotels we visit to reduce the time spent packing/unpacking, getting to certain hotels.

My question is: After leaving Galway, what is the best area to stay that will be the most "central" to the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle/Beara, I was thinking maybe Ennis? This is just based off of some of the feedback I've read in the forums thus far.

Thanks!
Jess

Tony2phones Aug 20th, 2013 03:27 PM

Where are you flying to from Kerry?? this is a small airfield serving regional flights which have strict baggage policies.

Dublin 2 days,
Galway 2 days,(see some of the Connemara or the Arans)
Ennis 2 days (see south west or East of the county)
Killarney 3 days (drive from Ennis to Killarney round Dingle)
Spare Day (possibly to drive back to Dublin airport via Cashel?)

jso727 Aug 20th, 2013 04:13 PM

The Kerry flight connects through Dublin before heading home to Boston. It was a price matter when booking the tickets. We would've loved to leave from Shannon but it just didn't work out. Thank you!

Tony2phones Aug 21st, 2013 04:09 AM

Kerry-Dublin flights are getting a big push at the moment and fair enough, I suppose it's Dublin retaining passengers now SNN is independent and getting more business. Leaves a free day to fit in wherever you like. be that Galway or Dublin? You could drop down to Cashel from Dublin on the No8 bus if that fits?

Snowflake25 Sep 1st, 2013 06:13 AM

We recently did 9 days in Ireland, focusing on the southwest. We stayed in Galway for 2 nights (did the Connemara loop and when we checked out and headed to Killarney stopped at Cliffs of Moher), 2 nights in Killarney (did Ring of Kerry), 2 nights in Cork, but would find a smaller place such as Kinsale to stay if we did it over, (visited Blarney Castle, Kinsale, Glengarriff) and 3 nights in Dublin with a stop at Rock of Cashel on the way. Two nights in each place worked for us, we arrived late afternoon and had time to explore the city centre, have dinner and listen to some live music each evening.