Best Home Base in Tuscany?

Feb 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Best Home Base in Tuscany?

My wife and I will be visiting our daughter this fall as she studies in Florence. As we have stayed in Florence in the past, we are considering settling in for a week in a town outside Florence. Does anyone have an opinion as to a town that is near enough to Florence to allow us to see our daughter, but convenient enough to allow for day trip in Tuscany? Have read great things about Montepulciano. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Feb 4th, 2008, 12:17 PM

That is not easy---I trust you will have a car.
My favorite parts of Tuscany are south of Siena but you need to be closer to Florence, perhaps even by public transportation. I would look at mid-Chianti as a compromise---perhaps Radda or Castellini. Do you have a good map?
Feb 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM

We loved Montepulciano but I believe it is a ways from Florence. Maybe Siena?
Feb 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Siena is a great option for you. Easy connections north to Florence and a good base for Tuscany.
Feb 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM

We had a similar experience visiting our daughter as she studied in Siena. We stayed in Siena and are very glad that we did. Even though we had "seen" Siena before, it was a wonderful experience to see it again through her eyes and experience her exitement and enthusiasm as she took us around to her favorite places as she gave us her "insider's" tour every day after class and study time. During her class hours we took day trips to nearby hill towns. It was perfect.

Consider staying in Florence - you will see it anew.
Feb 5th, 2008, 02:52 AM

We enjoyed our stay in Radda, but you would need a car ( I think) to get back and forth to Florence.

Florence is a 45 minute drive. So is Siena. There are quite a few vineyards near and in Radda to visit. Greve is close, too, and has an excellent market to explore.

Although Radda is quite tiny-just a handful of streets- it has several decent restaurants. One of these, PIZZERIA MICHELE is worth a visit just for the entertainment value. THe owner/host is hilarious!