Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best guidebook for Czech Republic (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-guidebook-for-czech-republic-88301/)

Kimberly Sep 29th, 2000 05:24 PM

Best guidebook for Czech Republic

I am so overwhelmed with all of the info on the area. Which guidebook(s) if any have you found the most helpful on your trip to Prague and the southern areas of the Czech Republic? Thank you! Kimberly

Maira Sep 30th, 2000 03:58 AM

I bought Fodors 'Exploring Prague' for my 1998 trip there and was quite pleased. The introduction on the history of the city was very good and the contents were very well laid out; Prague by areas, day trips, food & drinks, etc. From all the Fodors books I owned, this has got to be one of their best editions. The book is about 280 pages, the pictures are exquisite. I strongly recommend you that you check it out.

Lee Oct 2nd, 2000 08:37 AM

Kimberly: I've seen the one that Maira is talking about and it is indeed a good book. <BR> <BR>I did select the "Eyewitness Guide" which has come out with a book on Prague. It has the history, the various neighborhoods, museums, churches, sights, as well as restaurants, bars, hotels and what to expect from each. There is a section that contains transportation, some language and other details for the traveler. It looks fairly comprehensive and I guess I'll find out how good it is on our trip in November. <BR> <BR>Best of luck.

Richard Oct 2nd, 2000 08:56 AM

We favor the Cadogan city guides, good information on history, art, walks,cafes, shops and day trips. They are available from Globe Pequot Press, they have a website. The ISBN is 1-86011-015-0. Try to check out the recommended guides from your library and evaluate them for yourself.

sandi Oct 2nd, 2000 11:17 AM

I too used the Eyewitness Guide last Oct. to explore Prague. I found it extremely helpful and it offered some very interesting bits of history and easy to follow maps.

Christina Oct 2nd, 2000 01:54 PM

I think Frommers is the best overall guide to Prague and it includes day trips to other parts of the Czech Rep. much more extensively and better than the other city-only guidebooks; I'm not sure if they have an overall Czech Republic book. I don't like Eyewitness guides much although they can be fun to look at the pictures, I would not take one with me when traveling or use it for hotel and restaurant recommendations as they aren't very good for that, and they are not good for daytrips, either, and they are very heavy. So, I wouldn't use them as my only guidebook. The Blue Guides are pretty good for outside Prague and more complete in description and history. I like Cadogan guides in general, also, although I haven't seen the one to Prague; I don't think they are that good for selecting hotels, however, as they don't list very many and don't describe them much at all (at least, not in the ones I've seen), but they are very good for history, things to do, going out, etc. I'm not sure if I saw Fodors; I might have in the bookstore when choosing one and chose Frommers over it.

Kimberly Oct 2nd, 2000 04:58 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice!

alan Oct 2nd, 2000 07:04 PM

Hi Just want to add my 2 cents to your question. Went to Czech Rep. last year and used two guides, the Lonely Planet guide to the Czech Rep. which I found very good except for the cheap binding which began to fall apart and the Fodors Eastern and Central Europe guide. One of the things that I found out is that no matter how good a guide is, if it doesn't stay intact during your trip it ain't worth it. <BR> alan

Maira Jan 15th, 2001 03:45 AM

To the top for Mom & Daughter who are looking for this info. <BR> <BR>Also, you don't need a car in Prague. Day trips could be easily arranged thru tons of excellent tour companies. <BR> <BR>Seek out the Prague Report that Lee Simmons put together. It is excellent. <BR> <BR>Try to stay near Charles Bridge. The place is magical, I swear! <BR> <BR>I found garnets, linens, and Bohemian crystal great buys in Prague. I hear there are even better bargains outside Prague. Be wary of buying metalworks (welded crafts, etc... you'll see. Their artistry is outstanding, but the content of lead paint may not be as regulated as here).

cat30 Jan 24th, 2001 04:44 PM

I'm partial to the Time Out guidebooks for city info--they have one for most major cities. Very up-to-date, with wide range of info, from hip bars and nightspots, to extensive shopping, museums, and day-trips--WITH very opinionated commentary, that I find a good beginning in narrowing down my choices. But basically, I am an information junkie, and always read at least 4 guidebooks, plus everything I can find on the web, before I go, to get as complete a picture of my destinations as possible (besides, it's fun to plan, and dream, and anticipate......)

littlear Mar 31st, 2008 09:34 AM

I need a tourguide for a Sunday morning for 3 hour tour in December. Who would you think would be good? Please email me. [email protected]

peggionthego Apr 1st, 2008 02:59 AM

please see my posting from a few days ago about &quot;Prague tour guide&quot;...Dana is excellent and enriched our Prague experience immensely.