Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

best guide books for Paris, Rome and Budapest?

Feb 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

I'll be in each of these cities for several days in May, and I'm looking for guide books that are good for each city. I know I won't find 1 book that is perfect, but I'm probably going to buy a couple (used) and rip out the parts I want for ease of transport. Basically I just want well-organized books that go beyond the major sites and that do more than just skim the surface. I spent a while at Borders, and there was so much to sift through that I would REALLY appreciate recommendations on series or authors that have really worked for you in the past in Paris Rome or Budapest.

Thanks for your help!
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM

one person's great guidebook is another person's big yawn or guide for dummies. For Paris and Rome, Michelin Green Guides do much more than skim the surface.
You might want to go back to the bookstore, think of a topic that particularly interests you and then see how the various guide books (including Michelin) handle that same topic.
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM

For hotels, restaurants and shopping, Fodors is a good choice. For historical sights, the Michelin Green Guide is probably better.
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Think up a question that you already know the answer to & then look it up in each of the guidebooks (either at the library or at a bookstore). You'll be able to judge which is easier to use and see if you agree with their viewpoint.
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:36 PM

suze,

Your method is exactly the one I use, and recommend.

~Liz
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM

If you are a Pocket PC, Smartphone or a Blackberry user, there are a travel guides that you can download and use instead of using a book.
Here is where I got it:
http://www.soundtells.com/MobileRefe...dex.htm#travel
I have used them in several cities in Europe & in Asia, and they were very convenient, informative & easy to navigate. They have great maps and restaurant recommendations!
Instead of carrying around multiple books you can download all the travel guides you want into one mobile device.
Feb 7th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Suze-

I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of that method. That makes quite a bit of sense. Some weekend when I have some free time, I'll spend an hour or so at Borders using your method and I'm sure I'll come up with something. Thanks for the suggestion!