Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best gelato in Rome?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-gelato-in-rome-259230/)

Rudy Sep 18th, 2002 06:33 PM

Best gelato in Rome??

I'm going in October, and while I'm perfectly content to do plenty of sampling on my own, I was wondering if Fodorites could share some of their favorite gelaterias (and locations!) ...

Betsy Sep 18th, 2002 06:36 PM

Delle Palme near Piazza Navona. Hands down. Try marrons glacee. Wish I were there right now. Sigh...

Karen F Sep 18th, 2002 06:41 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't this question been asked and answered about 25 quadrillion times here?<BR><BR>Try a search please.

Rudy Sep 18th, 2002 06:51 PM

well, I don't know about 25 quadrillion ... I did a search for "gelato", "gelato in rome", and "gelateria", yet didn't really find what I was looking for (lots of gelato recipes, and lots of threads where gelato was mentioned, but not favorite gelaterias).<BR><BR>If people have some tips, great. If not, sorry for the trouble and please just skip this thread.

Teresa Sep 19th, 2002 01:17 AM

Rudy, my American Express guide on Rome says the best gelati are in Caffe Giolitti. The adress is Via Uffici del Vicario 40 in the Plazza della Rotonda.<BR>Hope it helps!<BR>

Ann Sep 19th, 2002 02:08 AM

What's your problem Karen? People are entitled to ask what they want as long as they don't offend anyone. Rudy, hope you have a wonderful time in Rome and have a big gelato for me!

Bob Sep 19th, 2002 02:35 AM

Rudy !!<BR><BR>You MUST go here!!!!!!! You MUST!!!<BR><BR>DA QUINTO GELATERIA!!<BR><BR>It is on a side street running out of Piazza Navona. I'm sorry I don't recall the name of it. But it's a busy side street with cafes, etc. <BR><BR>Incredible place!!<BR><BR>Bob

AnnaC Sep 19th, 2002 03:27 AM

Giolitti is excellent - my husband says their Marron Glacee is unsurpassed (can't stand the stuff myself, but would happily testify to the blackberry, melon, chocolate, tiramisu, etc, etc!!)<BR><BR>Also, San Crispino, down a side street near the Trevi Fountain (with Trevi on your left, walk up street ahead and it's something like the second street on your left. Trouble is I can't remember the name of the street) Their honey ice cream is truly superb.

jim Sep 19th, 2002 04:35 AM

rudy,<BR><BR>the best gelato question is always a good question since gelato if one of the simple pleasures of italy.<BR><BR>my cousin antonietta cecere hs a gelateria located near the trevi fountain at via lavatore,84/85.<BR><BR>we visited da quinto near piazza navona and it was quite good. gelateria cecere is even better. antonietta cecere is a lovely lady and is usually present after 6:00pm. honestly she had the best gelato on our recent trip to rome.<BR><BR>have fun<BR><BR>jim and camille

Amy Sep 19th, 2002 04:38 AM

I only tried one gelateria in Rome and it was Giolitti. Compared to other places I had been in other cities, it was tremendous. I think I had 3 flavors and all were wonderful.

aj Sep 19th, 2002 05:04 AM

Rudy,<BR><BR>Sorry I don't remember the names but I second the shop near the Trevi Fountain and there is a very small shop across the street from the Spanish Steps that is very good. What a nice "day dream" you have conjured up!

Lenne Sep 19th, 2002 05:10 AM

AJ, I believe I went to that ice cream store that's right across from the Trevi fountain. There are two openings: one that's across from the fountain and the other opens onto a small street with a store across from it selling leather bags, wallets, belts, etc. I cannot remember the name of this gelateria, can you? I do remember their gelato was very good.

Gina Sep 19th, 2002 06:17 AM

Lenne: I also went to the gelateria right across the street from the Trevi Fountain, and their gelato was wonderful! I had the pineapple, and it had big chunks of fresh pineapple in it. My mouth is watering just thinking of it!

Jackie Sep 19th, 2002 07:26 AM

Spent two weeks in Rome last year and ate gelato at least once a day! The best we found was on a side street from the Pantheon. Facing the Pantheon it was 1/2 a block to the left (sorry can't remember the name).<BR>You must try the riso(rice)flavor.<BR><BR>Have a great time.

Jo Sep 19th, 2002 09:46 AM

My favorite place in Rome for gelato is<BR><BR>the gelateria next to the Trevi fountain. My favorite flavor is nocciola or castagna

Tish Sep 19th, 2002 02:00 PM

I vote for Giolitti, my husband votes for Della Palma.<BR><BR>I believe the place Bob was referring to might be near a restaurant we ate at one night. If it is the gelateria I'm thinking of, it's on Via di Tor Millina, close to Piazza Navona. Tons of locals were devouring the stuff!<BR><BR>Bottom line is you will have a hard time hating just about any place you try. I've never met a gelato I didn't like!

Laurina Sep 19th, 2002 03:31 PM

I'd like to add another vote to Delle Palme! They have so many flavors to choose from. You'll love it!

Lenne Sep 19th, 2002 07:34 PM

Gina, do you remember the gelateria's name? It's irking me as I've tried to recall the name since we came back and I could not.

vmjk Sep 13th, 2003 01:59 PM

bmillersc
There is Giolitti gelateria at the Piazza della Rotunda near the Pantheon. Some fodorites say it is among the best, but I have not sampled it. A wine and cheese followed by some gelato would be super, but I dont know the wine and cheese-eries in the area. So..late afternoon...1600-ish? later?
Either by the fountain or in/in front of Giolitti. We will try our best to be there. Again, apologies if we fail.
We leave Monday.
Now if only I can finish packing for 2+ weeks in a Rick Steves carry-on, and keep it under 22 lbs.....
When do you leave?
virginia

ozgal Sep 13th, 2003 05:01 PM

I think this is the gelaterie near the Trevi that people are talking about - I found this review:
&quot;Il Gelato di San Crispino
Via della Panetteria 42
Il Gelato di San Crispino has far and away the best ice-cream in Rome - some say the best ice-cream in the world. The secret is the makers' obsessive control over the whole process. Flavours change according to what's in season - in summer the lampone (raspberry) and susine (yellow plum) are really fabulous. Don't even think of asking for a cone, though: only cups or tubs are allowed. True devotees shun this Trevi Fountain branch and instead head out into the suburbs, where the miracle of San Crispino first occurred. In truth the product is equally exceptional at each of the branches, and the central branch has the additional advantage - over and above its location - of offering exquisite Jamaican coffee.