Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Drive along the coast from Seville to Jerez to Gibraltar - IDEAS??

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 09:37 AM
n_marquis

We are going to drive along the mentioned route in the middle of November. Any suggestions as to what really good spots to see, visit, eat etc?

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for a a few recent posts on Costa de la Luz. You'll see some of my suggestions from a recent trip.

I don't personally recomend Gibraltar. Went there for a daytrip and wasn't impressed. But then again we didn't have much time because we needed to get back to Tarifa for a whale watching trip in the afternoon. I might not have done Gibraltar justice.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:10 AM
n_marquis

We are going to one of the rock tours there. We are also contemplating taking the high speed boat from Tarifa to Tangiers for a day trip. Have you heard anything about those trips??

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:25 AM
donnabee

Going to Tangiers? If you are catching a tour once there, be prepare for a 2 hour sales job on carpets. I would recommend Gibraltar.

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Sevilla to Jerez to Gibraltar will not take you along the coast.

Sevilla and Jerez are both well inland. You don't get to the coast until you get to Gibraltar.

If you have have the time, detour to the east slightly and see the Pueblos Blancos (White Towns). Grazalema and Zahara de la Sierra were my favorites. These hillside villages are both inland and in the mountains as well.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:01 AM

n_marquis,
If I remember your itinerary from your other posts correctly, you're planning to spend the night (s) in Jerez after Seville, then drive down through Puerto de Santa María and along the Costa de la Luz past Tarifa to Gibraltar because hubby is adamant about Gib , right?

If so, then I'd follow olga's recommendations from her recent trip to the letter!! She's our resident expert on this area. I've copied them and will use them on our next trip. After El Puerto, I'd make Conil my first stop.
Then I think you'd really enjoy spending a hr. or so roaming around the very, very Moorish looking white town of Vejer de la Frontera, particularly since you're not doing the Arcos-Ronda pueblos blancos route (are you?).
Since you're doing the "low road" rather than the Serranía de Ronda, this will be your chance on this route to see one of these blindingly white perched hill towns. And Vejer gets fewer foreign tourists than Ronda, although through recent press articles I've read, it's becoming more discovered.
www.vejer.com
There's a restaurant in Vejer, "Trafalgar", on the Plaza de España, that I have on my list to try. It's a Bibi Gourmand choice in the red Michelin, which means very good price to quality ratio. I also read about it in a Sp. gourmet magazine, Club del Gourmet. If it's a nice day you can lunch on the outdoor terrace
See it here:
www.miraalsur.com/trafalgar/
Then I'd drive down to Zahara de los Atunes (but it should be very quiet in Nov.) and then a look at the beach ruins at Baelo that Olga mentioned on another post before you reach Tarifa.
Like donnabee, I really can't recommend a day trip to Tangiers from Tarifa.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:10 AM

I have never done the trip to Morocco but my sister did and her experience wasn't very good. Seems to me like quite a hassle for one day.

If I ever go to North Africa,I'll try and spend at least 3 days to try and soak up the spirit of the place as much as possible.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:14 AM
n_marquis

After all that I think we will definitely NOT be heading to Tangiers. THanks for the help.