best european city to visit in May

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:18 PM
michal

best european city to visit in May

I'd like to take my wife to Europe for our anniversary, but I'm not sure which city to choose from: Paris, Venice/Rome or Frankfurt. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated....thanks.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Rex

First trip to Europe? Paris is an awfully good choice. You can't count on very summery weather in May though. Often pleasant, but not all that warm. Remember, it's further north than Montreal!

How many days do you have in mind? Venice/Rome is a nice combination - - allow no less than 6-7 days for the pair.

And ideally, a little time in the countryside outside either choice will add a wonderful bonus dimension to your trip.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Rex

to the top, for Michal...

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Diane

In May you have so many choices. Depends, really, on how much time you have and what you enjoy doing while on holiday. Paris and a few days in Loire Valley visiting the chateau would be my vote. But then, Venice is sooo romantic.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:44 AM
james

Why Frankfurt? There's nothing to see there! Paris, Rome, Venice are all hard to beat. If you're young(ish) Barcelona/Madrid would be fun. Personally, I'd pick Paris.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:41 AM
rmichal

Thanks all for the info!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 10:19 AM
Jay

Michal,
I'd pick Rome. So much to see and do - very romantic - wonderful weather in May. We spent a week there last year in May and loved every minute!
Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 10:33 AM
richardson

Go to Portofino, stay at the Splendido Hotel. The Lobster and Linguine at the restaurant over the mediteranean is the best!!!!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 12:35 PM
Rex

You're welcome, michal

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 01:43 PM
Steve Mueller

Paris, Venice and Rome are great, but don't elminate Frankfurt as a possibility. The city itself is not as spectacular as the others, but the nearby Rhine Valley and Romantic Road are quintessential Europe. We are going there in May and, in addition to the Rhine and the Romantic Road, we will visit Bamberg, Heidelberg, Alsace's Wind Road (just across the border in France), and Luxembourg. There are plenty of great destinations near Frankfurt. Also, tickets to Frankfurt will definitely be cheaper than Italy (unless you get an unbelievable deal), and quite possibly cheaper than Paris (Frankfurt has a higher volume of air traffic, so supply-and-demand drives the prices down a little).

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:50 PM
Christina

Frankfurt!!!!???? you much have some reason, but I would vote for Venice/Rome. The main reason being that Paris is pleasant lots of the year, you can easily go there in summer, but Venice/Rome is much hotter. So, you will have plenty of other times to see Paris if you wish, but time is limited of when to see Rome, so see it when you can. If you get lots of free time and can vacation whenever you wish, that's not relevant, of course.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 10:16 PM
ttt

to the top

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:22 PM
Lanny

I spent two thirds of a day in Franfurt back in September and that was more than enough time for me. Once you have seen a few quaint buildings, the statue of Charlemange and more bank buildings than you ever hope to see again in your life, you have run out of sites of interest. So what are you going to do with the rest of the day and your time there?

Personally I'd do Paris first, then use another special occasion for Venice/Rome.

Lanny

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:30 PM
Mickey

Epcot. You will be able to hit several countries (England, France, Italy, Germany) all in just one day. You will be beat the summer crowds and be able to hit the waterparks in the afternoon. You can also ride Test Track.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:16 PM
arthur frommer

Epcot...very cute. Being in Paris for the first time was a sensory feast. Don't deprive yourself of that. Rome is a toilet any time of year. Frankfurt would be a good jumping off point for a German road trip, then again, Munich would be even better. Give your wife the gift of Paris, she will reward you in spades every night back at the hotel. 7-10 days would be ideal for a low-stress Paris-Brussels-Brugges-Amsterdam excursion that would assuredly be most memorable.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:48 AM
Andy

Michal- My vote,as a woman, would be Venice and FLorence--Venice is THE most romantic city in the world (even with the smelly canals)--it is a terrific walking city with outdoor cafes,evening music in San Marco Sq,great museums---been 3 times and would go again in a heartbeat!!!

Florence- go for the incredible museums,and wonderful shopping---

But my best choice would be a MED CRUISE from ROME TO NICE on the Windsurf Cruise-a 5 masted sailing yacht===that is perfecto romance and you get to terrific little Italian Islands PLUS St.Tropez,Monte Carlo and end in Nice....How much better does that get! And it's UPSCALE CASUAL--no coat and tie needed!