Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best European city (reasonable distance from Scotland) in December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I will be traveling to Scotland for work in December. I never like to fly that far (on the company dime) without adding a few days of vacation on the way home. My question is, what is the best place to spend 3-5 days on the way home? Seems like weather will be pretty bad everywhere. I was leaning towards Paris because I love Paris! My first trip there was in the Spring, then I just had one night there a few weeks ago. However, if there is another European city that seems like a must-visit in December, I'd like to know about it.

About me -- I lived in Germany as a kid (6-10 years). As an adult, have been to Paris, Edinburgh, London, the Amalfi Coast/Naples. Am curious about Prague, Amsterdam, Spain. I'll be traveling alone (I've done that before and am not concerned about that part -- eating alone, public transport, walking around, all fine).
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM

I don't think any city is a must visit in December, at least not in the northern hemisphere. I don't like dark and gloom and cold. But it's going to be cold and dark everywhere, so I guess I'd pick a place with something to do. I'm not clear on your travel plans, though, adding on a local trip from Scotland to some other place in Europe and then back home (more than it would originally cost) could be rather expensive to some locations. At least early December is low season about everywhere.

If it were me, depending on the cost I'd have to incur, I'd probalby save my vacation days for something I really wanted to do, but I don't get that many. A few days in a city in December wouldn't be it. But sure, Paris is good. So is London. I also like Spain a lot, but somehow I can't envision it in December as being that enticing, but I would enjoy Madrid or Seville most times. Not crazy about Amsterdam.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM

I go Amsterdam 365. It drizzles a lot and it is a bit colder in December but rarely snows, even though it is 800 miles further north than Chicago. Dress in layers.

The cafes are cozy and welcoming. Try the Hoppe (side door) and the Luxembourg glassed in patio at the Spui. The entire center of the city is easily walkable. You can't have a bad time in Amsterdam, but please don't speak any German.

Schiphol is an excellent airport. You may get lower fares flying through AMS than LHR. I did, by a wide margin. AMS puts LHR to shame regarding shopping and stuff to do before you board.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Christina, I have vacation to burn so the extra days aren't an issue (we can't carry vacation over, use it or lose it!). I'm flying from Seattle so it's common to connect via Paris or Amsterdam, so adding a layover is easy. Even if I have to pay an extra $200 for a different city, I'm fine with that.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Madrid might be reasonable. I just looked and although it is cold it is not very rainy in the winter. I looked at Seville but it rains lots more there in December. Personally I would pick a place with fun Christmas markets but you grew up around them.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:49 AM

Look at where you can fly to direct from your nearest main airport (Edinburgh/Glasgow/Aberdeen - e.g. see http://www.edinburghairport.com/port...+and+airlines/ for destinations from Edinburgh). bmi flies direct from Edinburgh to Brussels so what about going there for the Christmas markets ? Or Copenhagen - I believe the Tivoli Gardens are open in the run up to Christmas. I would advise avoiding Ryanair.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:38 AM

Central Portugal (Lisbon and silver coast) very nice all year around with hisoric sites. Warmer climate in the Algarve (southern region of Portugal). Southern Spain is nice as is the south of France.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 03:43 AM

I've found Barcelona pleasant in December.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 05:07 PM

<i>Seems like weather will be pretty bad everywhere.</i>

Not all of Europe has bad weather in December.

Lisbon or Seville have quite nice weather in December. Lisbon would be quicker to get home to Seattle from (one less stop).