Best European City For Day Trip Options

Mar 28th, 2014, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Best European City For Day Trip Options

I'm looking at a 7 night vacation and would like to base myself out of one city/town if possible. In your opinion, what European city offers the best day trip options? I would most definitely consider Eastern Europe, as I've traveled around Western Europe to a good degree. Thank you!
Mar 28th, 2014, 03:10 AM

London has the best day trip options.

Not sure what you man by eastern europe - Russia? Ukraine?

Or are you talking about central europe - Czech, Poland, Hungary, etc?
Mar 28th, 2014, 03:13 AM

imo- Munich provides the best daytrip options
Mar 28th, 2014, 03:23 AM

I certainly would not be able to say, "Well, THIS city is best for daytrips", but I certainly understand your wish to unpack once.

So, with that thought in mind, I'll give you two examples from our experiences. What these two locations had in common was easy access to a central train station with excellent and frequent connections.

We used Brussels quite well one year for daytrips. After staying in Amsterdam (from which, by the way, we've toured Den Hague, Delft and Harlaam plus the Keukenhof Gardens), we headed south on the train to stay at the Marriot across from the Bourse/ Grand Place. It was a spit from the Brussels Centrale station. Every morning we'd head out to some destination--e.g., Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp, etc.--and return home from the station through Grand Place to enjoy a beer or perhaps a meal there.

On another trip, we placed ourselves in Nice. Every day over breakfast, we'd decide our destination. We managed to tour Grasse, Mougins, Cannes, Antibes, St Paul de Vence, Haut Cagnes, Monaco, Menton, and MORE! from that location, all without a car.

I know there are so many more. Enjoy your planning!
AZ
Mar 28th, 2014, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

London is a great city and always worth a revisit.

By Eastern Europe, I mean Central Europe.

Munich has been on my radar as it offers much to do, plus the close proximity to castles, Bavaria, Austria (Salzburg), Switzerland, etc.
Mar 28th, 2014, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Brussels is fantastic city AZ! We did the same and stayed at Le Meridien right next to Centrale. Super convenient and a great base.

The Nice idea is an excellent one. How many nights did you stay in Nice?
Mar 28th, 2014, 04:03 AM

The cities that immediately come to mind are:

Frankfurt
Florence
Paris (although 6 days in Paris w/o day trips would be perfect)
Lisbon
Budapest
Brussels
Krakow - although day trips are limited as the train system is not great. You could do a day trip by bus to Zakopane or a long day trip to Czestochowa; a bit more than half a day to Auschwitz or the Salt Mine.
Mar 28th, 2014, 04:32 AM

Let's list the cities that do not offer great day trips - easier. really that question is just too broad - what kind of day trips>
Mar 28th, 2014, 04:55 AM

I think we stayed 8 days, mjz_kc. We flew into CDG Paris and then down to Nice from Orly. There are direct flights into Nice from the US, but not from where we lived

Since we were visiting in March and would not be doing any beach time (although we did do a lot of hiking around Antibes and Eze), we knew we would make the most use of the wonderful art museums in the area.

More specifically, at that time, there was an item called a "Cote d'Azur Pass" which gave entry into almost every possible art museum up and down the coast. That pass no longer exists.

Note that friends of ours who followed our lead managed to enjoy themselves without ever stepping foot into an art museum their entire stay. Like us, they never bothered to get a car.

The rail and bus connections are superb. We used the book
Daytrips France: 48 One-Day Adventures by Rail, Bus or Car--Includes Paris Walking Tours by Earl Steinbicker as our main resource. In fact, I've used that book throughout France over ten years. I tore it apart and just took sections I needed at the time.

Again, it was nice to make decisions on a mere "Are you up for...?" basis at breakfast. I liked both the Brussels and Nice trips for the "no-brainer" touring.

The aforementioned, not-into-art friends built a 3-location trip, drawing heavily on that Daytrips book, too. They started in Paris for a few days, trained it to Beaune to tour wineries for a few days, and then they stationed themselves in Antibes for around a week. Their weather offered beach time, but they also loved hopping on that train to go East or West at will.
Mar 28th, 2014, 05:08 AM

I like Madrid where you can visit any number of worthwhile towns by bus and train including Toledo, Segovia, and now with the high speed AVE, Cuenca.
Mar 28th, 2014, 06:24 AM

I suggest two:

Salzburg--read about Salzkammergut

Madrid----love Segovia, Toledo, Avila
Mar 28th, 2014, 09:13 AM

I think Madrid is a great choice, also, as well as Paris and London and Prague (and Marseille or Nice in southern France). I'm not familiar with Italy, but I'm sure Florence might be one there. But really, most major cities would fit this description as they will be the rail hub. SO it depends where you want to go on your day trips.
Mar 28th, 2014, 09:57 AM

From Florence you can visit Siena for a day by public transportation

From Lisbon you can visit the story book town of Sintra and Cascais.

Another to consider is Barcelona. From there you can visit Girona, Monserrat, and Figueres, three very different places.
Mar 28th, 2014, 11:25 AM

From Florence you can also visit Lucca and Pisa by train and various other towns by bus.
Mar 28th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. At this time, we're leaning towards either Nice or Munich as they would be new destinations for us both. Both offer plenty of day trip options that would be of interest for us as well. Plus, both have SPG properties so that we could unload points for free nights (not a big criteria, but nice to have). We just recently did a complicated SE Asia trip, and this is a much easier sell to my partner, thus quenching my travel thirst.

AV, thanks for the book tip! I've previewed it on Amazon already.