Best European Airline: dcguy477

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2015, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested to get others' thoughts on which European airline is consistently the best in terms of quality and service?
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 03:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Define "quality" in terms everybody agrees on; ditto "service.'
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 04:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Also, the cities it flies to may differ from one "best" to another.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 08:27 AM

The one that flies from where I start to where I want to go at a time and price I want
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 09:30 AM

Quality and service usually gets better the more you pay for it. But most people aren't able to pay for first class. I certainly can't.

If the flight is shorter than three hours I would rather have the lower price than the higher quality and service. I can live with a bit of discomfort for that long. Ryanair and Norwegian have been good enough for me. Not perfect, of course. I got what I paid for, which was a seat on the plane and an arrival time close to what the timetable said.

I see no reason to pay double the cost to get a "free" tasteless meal and a "free" drink (especially since I don't drink alcohol). I'm also short enough that I don't need too much legroom. If I can sit in a bus seat for three hours I can sit in a plane seat for the same time.

For a longer flight I'd want a bit more comfort. But it's been about thirteen years since the last time I took a really long flight. I can't even remember what airline it was.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 09:34 AM

I don't understand the word "best".

All airlines offer a small area to be transported from one place to another. Some charge silly prices for 12 inches extra leg room, the opportunity (wait for it) to lie down and some possibly edible food. But still ask you to pay £5000, 9 months before you use their service.

Airline travel is awful.

It's just a means to an end.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 09:35 AM

Unless you own your own jet.

When things become a little more civilised.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 12:02 PM

I agree, it mainly depends on what you are willing to pay for. And whether you want a legacy carrier or not. I guess I haven't flown that many within Europe, but do you mean a European airline that flies to the US or other countries? Because that's totally different from one that flies within Europe. All the ones I've flown within Europe have been fine, actually (Easyjet, Brussels Air, Czech Air, Hop and Air France). The big carriers weren't any better than the smaller ones.

To Europe from US, I prefer Air France but due to where I usually go, I haven't used some of them, anyway. I didn't like BA that well, though. I do like United now, actually, because they have a fairly cheap policy on getting some extra legroom compared to many of them.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 01:49 PM

Best airline I know : Ryanair.
Owned by soulless people, operated by hertless people - or the other way round.

Human service about zero.
But : I go from one place to another, on time, safely, for a price I've never had anywhere else.

I went this week to Krakow from Bxl South (!) and back for 40 €. I went to Pisa and back once for 12 € and often for 24 €.

When service is above zero and price close to zero, the ratio quality price is outstanding.

Now, if I have no problem of money, I'll never take them...
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 11:26 AM

Turkish is consistently getting the award for best European airline - - here it comes in #4 as best in the world: http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Aw...t_airline.html

I did a round-trip Germany-Istanbul for about $240 last July on Turkish; on the outbound they gave me an exit row to myself, and on the return there were multiple free rows. The hot meal was tasty: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougla...7655027580019/