Reload this Page >

Travel question for the ladies . . .

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Jean

I'm looking for something small to carry a lipstick, compact &amp; comb in while I'm sightseeing in Italy. (I know, I know, it's vain -- but I look like a washed-out ghost without some lipstick.) I'm not looking to carry our passports or anything else. Any suggestions? (I wore a "fanny pack" in England, but I keep reading that you shouldn't wear one in Italy.) Lipstick is replaceable, of course, but I'd rather not have a potential thief looking my way and thinking I may have something of value in a fanny pack.<BR>thanks!

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Louisa

This won't help you when you first arrive, but this sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a nice small leather shoulder bag in Italy! Just wear it across your body (rather than over one shoulder) if you're worried about purse snatchings.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Thyra

Jean, a lipstick compact and comb... you are a lightweight nature girl !!! I pack an entire arsenal of beauty stuff...Personally I woudn't wear a fanny pack, too easy to pick pocket and I don't care for the way they look. <BR>I agree with the above, I have a nice, mid sized leather bag that I drape across my shoulder. I take a scaled down version of a wallet, that only has a little pit of pocket money, no great shakes if it gets stolen (creditcard and passports are ALWAYS in my husbands money pouch), cover stick ,lipstick, compact, eye cream and a bunch of other cosmetics... sad isn't it? Believe it or not, I actually like carrying my little purse since I have an extra place to put any tiny souveniers I might buy, or ticket stubs etc, that I use for making a collage when I get home.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Gigi

Hi, Jean!<BR>I like to travel light! I found a small leather wallet pouch that was attached to a belt. I strung it through the loops on my black jeans. I could carry my lipstick, metro passes, small map, credit cards, cash, and passport, when I needed. I loved it! I tend to get a sore neck from a shoulder bag. It was very secure, and is so small you can protect it easily. <BR>One never noticed it beneath my jackets.<BR>I found it at a Mervyn's. But, I have seen them everywhere. They were priced around $25.00 or so.<BR>I'll keep my eyes open for them if you like.<BR>Good Luck!<BR>Gigi<BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Susan

I bought a small brown leather bag at Eddie Bauer a couple of years ago. It has a zippered side which holds money, credit cards, etc. The other side (which is larger) snaps shut - it is big enough to hold my sunglasses case, keys, tiny cellphone, lipstick, etc. I don't use it just for travel - I use it all the time. I take public transit everyday and twice I've had my wallet stolen. I finally decided to be practical. I wear it across my body and no one can get into it. It's extremely convenient and even looks pretty good.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Marilyn Ham

I like to wear the travel clothing with pockets in the slacks and in the jacket so I just put my comb and lipstick in my pockets and don't carry a purse. Marilyn

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Donna

Here's another recommendation for pockets. I pack only slacks and skirts with good-sized, deep (so nothing falls out when you sit down) pockets.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 03:07 PM
HK

Consider a photographer's vest (see Travelsmith or clones...) or any vest with pockets. I made myself one last year -- reversible with pockets on both sides, which meant I had "interior" and "exterior" pockets no matter which side I wore (black and tan).

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Kimerley

The bodyshop has great travel products. I bought a small brush which folds, also has a mirror to put on Lippy.<BR>The vest is a great idea..must look for a summer weight one for my trip.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 05:00 AM
Jean

All great suggestions -- thanks for helping me out!<BR>Gigi, I'd love to look at one of the leather wallet pouches you mentioned. I'm not sure if I've seen them; do you know of a website that sells them? (I don't have a Mervyn's in my area).<BR>Thanks to all!<BR>Jean

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Bob

My wife sometimes wears a small waist pack for makeup etc. never anything of value. The other than she does in places such as Paris, she will wear a sport coat and use the pockets in it to hold makeup. She also has a husband who carrys her lipstick.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 08:55 AM
elvira

I like pockets for non-valuables like kleenex and lipstick; I bought (at Target) a very flat microfibre purse on a cross-chest strap. Like Susan's, it has a pocket (zippered) which is against my body, and a larger pocket on the outside for a map, Swiss Army knife, etc. It weighs almost nothing, and leaves my hands free.<BR><BR>A couple of years ago I found a little silk purse (on a long silk cord) at a store that sold Chinese stuff; I use it when I go out in the evening, but it would make a great daytime purse for carrying a lipstick, etc.