Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best economy flight from LAX-London? British Airways? Virgin-Atlantic? United? Air New Zealand?

Best economy flight from LAX-London? British Airways? Virgin-Atlantic? United? Air New Zealand?

Feb 15th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Message: I would like to book a flight from LAX-London in the next day or two and I have my choice of flying on numerous possible carriers on a nonstop flight.

These carriers include Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, United and Air New Zealand.

I am a frequent flier member of only Virgin Atlantic but don't actually have any miles. Is there any way that I could buy a flight other than the very cheapest seat and possibly get an upgrade to business class for a low price at the gate, if available? If so, what class does the ticket need to be and what is the best way to approach the subject at the gate?

Thanks in advance.
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM

You might get answers here, but for another very experienced group, check out the appropriate forum at www.flyertalk.com .
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:01 PM

Let me understand - you just joined the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, have accumulated no miles, and expect to be able to upgrade. Not very likely.
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

janis:

I don't "expect" to upgrade, but I figure that if I were to have any chance, whatsoever, that belonging to their FF club would give me a leg up on someone that didn't belong.

willtravel:

Thanks, I will check it out.
Feb 15th, 2004, 11:32 PM

Roccco,
the upgrade situation is difficult. Virgin and BA sometimes offer the possibility of paying a surcharge that will upgrade you to Premium Economy (Virgin) or World Traveller Plus (BA)...these offer wider seats without the other benefits of business class. BA sometimes offers this for $250 each way. It's worth asking the airline although I've generally seen this offered off season.

I've used all of these airlines on west coast routes and personally Virgin is my favorite in economy...perhaps because they're the only one to have upgraded me...with no reason given! I just prefer the food/staff/entertainment screens at every seat.

However despite prefering Virgin I now tend to fly United because of the mileage which does add up if you fly frequently to Europe.

A key factor to consider is the configuration of the planes...for example when travelling with my husband in economy my key concern is the seat layout...do they have the 2 by 5 by 2 seat configuration (rather than 3 by 4 by 3). I think even the cramped experience of economy is much better when there are just the two of you in two window/aisle seats.

You can check seatguru.com or ask the airline.

A key upgrade route is to buy a ticket and then upgrade with miles but in order to do this you need to buy a certain class of ticket which as you may know is often very much more expensive.

Hope that helps.

Feb 16th, 2004, 04:54 AM

United has Economy Plus with more legroom than Economy and with a higher price. Your chances of getting an upgrade on United are basically zero (as I expect is the case on the other airlines) since the upgrade seats go to people who:
a) pay for it with $.
b) pay for it with FF miles
c) are Premier 1K flyers (100,000 miles last year)
d) are Premier Exec flyers (50,000 miles last year)
e) are Premier flyers (25,000 miles last year)
f) pay for high $ coach tix
y) are FF program members
z) are not FF program members

Your United flight would probably be a Boeing 777 which would mean 2x5x2 seating with video in the seatback in front of you.
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:55 PM

I just glanced at an United email I got today. It said that if you are a Mileage Plus member (just sign up), and spend $1000 on flights that you fly before March 31, you can upgrade on another flight. I'm sure there are a million details and clauses to this.
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses.

I ended up choosing the cheapest flight, a $610 pp direct British Airways flight from LAX-London.

I could have booked Premier Economy on Virgin for about $1,200 pp, but an extra $600 for the ability to stretch just A LITTLE bit more for 11 hours didn't quite add up for me. If anybody wants to pay me $55 per hour to sit in a tight chair, I will take the position, anyday.

I would have liked the 2-5-2 configuration on another airline but didn't read that info until later. I can only hope that my wife and I will be able to have three seats for the two of us, allowing us to stretch out just a little bit more.