Best driving route Dublin to Kinsale

Nov 29th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Original Poster
Best driving route Dublin to Kinsale

My husband and I are driving from Dun Laoghaire to Kinsale in two weeks, and we were wondering which was the best route to take. We are leaving Friday morning at Ten AM and would like to get to Kinsale before the sun sets around 4 pm. Is this realistic? We were also wondering which roads to take. Is it more scenic to drive south on the N11 and go through Waterford? Or should we take the N7 and go through Cashel, which we've already visited. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Michelin lists the trip through Waterford as 8 miles longer and 9 minutes longer. Though their suggestion of 4 hours travel time is probably a bit of a fantasy, I would think that you could get there in 6 hours. If you stop to see the crystal factory or have a long lunch in a pub somewhere, you may not be so lucky. There is always the possibility of getting lost, but those roads are pretty well marked. If you hit bad traffic in Waterford, (I spent an hour one afternoon in Waterford traffic) that may dash your hopes of arriving before dark. Since you've already gone the other way, I'd head south along the coast. You won't have a lot of time for stops but it would be a different drive. I would estimate the driving time at closer to 5 hours.

Have fun and let us know all about it!

Dec 1st, 2004, 11:18 AM
We used N7. This drive is 5 1/2 to 6 hours. We drove from Kinsale to Dublin in 2003. Figure 35 miles per hour, no more.
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:44 AM
Thanks Powell. I usually get people telling me that I am crazy when I give them long driving times but I agree that it would be hard to cover the ground in much less than 6 hours unless you drove VERY hard and never get out of the car.

Search this Thread