Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best driving map (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-driving-map-308631/)

JRKite Feb 20th, 2008 05:54 PM

Best driving map

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on what they feel is the best roadmap for my driving vacation in Ireland??? Which worked well for you and which to stay away from.

THANKS!! :)

janisj Feb 20th, 2008 07:18 PM

get a road atlas after you arrive in Ireland. It almost doesn't matter which one you get - they are inn every book shop, newsagent, gas station, tourist office.

Just don't try using a fold out map - use a road atlas.

JRKite Feb 21st, 2008 05:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Janis. I would really like to purchase one here in the states now in order to not only help me plan my itinerary, but to avoid the much higher prices of all things Irish. :)

janisj Feb 21st, 2008 05:37 PM

depending on where you live - you may have to buy one on line. Just depends on what sorts of travel/book shops you have nearby.

In a stateside book store it will cost about 3 times what it will in Ireland. Foreign road atlases in the US cost MUCH more than buying "in country" since they are not published in this country. And if you buy from - say amazon's UK website - then you'll have to pay more in postage/shipping than the book would cost in Ireland.

If it were me, I'd just get an inexpensive fold out map in the States to help you plan your itinerary, and then buy an atlas in Ireland.

(Even an "inexpensive" map of Ireland will cost more in the States but not nearly as much as an atlas. Unless you can get a free one at AA or such)

JRKite Feb 21st, 2008 05:40 PM

Thanks Janis, I never considered this. Great idea.

I have access to all big bookstores, Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc.

I have also seen posts from those who thought the Michelin map as well as the Ordnance maps are good. Any experience with either of these?

Thanks tons!

ciaodeb Feb 21st, 2008 05:44 PM

Hi JRKite-- We have used Michelin maps and sometimes had to order them from down south, where they are based. (Recall in Carolinas.) Anyway, I believe we ordered directly as our local Borders did not have the exact map we needed. They gave us the corporate contact and we placed the order. Michelin makes excellent road maps.

panecott Feb 21st, 2008 06:16 PM

I agree that Michelin road maps are great. I used one in Ireland and in Austria.
They are very detailed and easy to read and IMO, their best feature is that they delineate the scenic routes -- something important on a driving vacation.

cailin Feb 22nd, 2008 05:12 AM

How about using online maps for your planning and then buy a road map when you arrive? Try www.viamichelin.com

Holldoll Feb 22nd, 2008 05:51 AM

Use the Michelin. It's by far the best; you can purchase it in advance online (Amazon or somewhere like that), or possibly a good bookstore in your area might even have one.

janisj Feb 22nd, 2008 05:59 AM

Micehlin is very good - but there are others that are also good. I have one Michelin that is combo UK and Ireland - but it is really thick because it also covers all of the UK. An Ireland-only version is better if you don't have a UK trip in our future. The coil binding is great because the maps lie flat when open. It will cost less in Ireland though.

AA and Collins are other good brands. Often they are on sale at discount in petrol station shops. Check out amazon.co.uk and search for Ireland Road Atlas to see some of your options . . . . . .

Cowboy1968 Feb 22nd, 2008 06:08 AM

Haven't seen any Michelin map for Ireland "younger" than 2005.
The road atlas from Ordnance Survey is from fall 2007, and costs only €13 when in Ireland.
The atlas is almost twice as precise than the map. Michelin's 1:400,000 scale (for the all of Ireland in one map) is on the bottom end what I would want to use.

For pre-planning, any cheaper and larger-scaled map may do the job, but personally I don't find these huge fold-out maps easy to handle when driving. But I guess that's personal taste.

Cowboy1968 Feb 22nd, 2008 06:09 AM

Forgot to post this.
This is how the atlas looks like:
http://www.irishmaps.ie/product/display.cfm?ProductID=7

tower Feb 22nd, 2008 06:55 AM

Easy to do, JR:

If you don't want to purchase the excellent Michelin Road Atlas for the UK and Ireland, just call the Irish Tourist Board in NY and they will ship you out a package including a good map of Ireland, gratis.

Irish tourist board at 212-418-0800, or toll free at 800-223-6470.

in canada, they're in Toronto at
416-929-2777

Or go to your nearest AAA and buy a UK/Ireland map for a few dollars.

OR go to your B and N and spend an hour sketchg out an itinerary
from the Atlas ...and to soothe your conscience, just buy a Fodors Ireland Guide Book ...there will be a suitable map in it...or Frommers, or any guide book for Ireland.
Happy Travels..

Stu T.