Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best drive route from Marbella to Rhonda in mini van??

Feb 5th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,
I am planning a trip for my dad in laws 80th birthday and meeting of 3 generations in Spain.

I have heard some of the routes from Marbella to Rhonda can be VERY scary. We are 5 adults and one child so will be in a mini van and would prefer a beautiful not scary route.

Best suggestion?

How far is it?

We are planning a light day trip with probably just bull ring and lunch at the parador ( to take it easy on 80 year old ..who enjoys bullfights and will like seeing the homeland of his forefathers).

Thanks!
Feb 5th, 2007, 07:57 AM

The easiest route would be to follow the A397 which you pick up just west of Marbella. The distance is about 60 km. The drive should take about one hour.

You can check the route on mappy.com, or viamichelin.com.
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Robert2533!

Having driven on some pretty scary roads in Spain I was just wondering how this one was ( for a 7 seat van) ?

I had read that it was a lovely drive, but then later read about how scary it was to Rhonda, so thought I should get a little more informed before tackling it with all my loved ones in tow.
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:55 AM
car

It is not particulary scary, it is busy and you have to be careful with trucks entering the road from all the new constructions along.
It is not very long as the hilly part goes for about 30km. Drive carefully and it should be fine.
By the way Ronda does not have H.
In spanish h is mute so why use it..
Feb 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks car and for the correct spelling too. ( You can tell I am the non Spanish speaker with my group
Feb 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM

That road recommended from Marbella to Ronda is very good. It is a well made road and while it is very twisty turny it is nowhere near as narrow as say the Amalfi coast road in Italy. Any sized vehicle would not be a problem on this road. Finding parking in Ronda or even Marbella is another story. I would have hated driving anything bigger than a sedan in Ronda, Granada, etc.

jc
Feb 6th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

So there is no parking outside of Ronda? Hmm, I wonder if we should take a bus tour.

We have even taken our camper to lots of tiny villages in Burgundy and the Luberon and such and always find parking outside of the village.

We always look for those big P signs and so far it has worked..even for a camper.

So there is no parking outside the village?

What if I parked at the Parador where we will have lunch?
Feb 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM

I am not saying that there is no parking. However the part of Ronda where you want to walk is at the top of hill and I don't remember a parking lot before we got there. Which is not the same as saying that there isn't one. The main road is wide enough for a minivan. We parked on the small city streets and it was very tight as is true of all medievel cities. The plaza around the bull ring may have parking there, I just wasn't brave enough to park there to find out. ;-)

jc
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:40 AM

There is parking at and around the bullring, but try to arrive as early as possible, prior to lunch. There are a few restaurants in the same location and paring fills up fast. Also, the Parador is next to the bullring and a lot of its guests park in the parking lot.
Feb 7th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all!
Feb 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Make sure you take the "easy route". DH decided to do a "short cut", but somehow it wasn't our time yet and I lived to tell about it (barely), but it really was scary (IMO).