Best Dordogne location for a rental?

Aug 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Best Dordogne location for a rental?

We (four adults) will be traveling to France in June and will spend two weeks in the Dordogne and then another 10 days elsewhere. We want a house in a town/village with charm (of course) and some amenities. I've found houses that fit our needs in: Limeuil, Daglan and Villefrance du Perigord. Any feedback on any of the above, or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Aug 17th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Villefrance du Périgord - much too far from the main sites. Pretty town, though.

Daglan - I prefer being north of the river, but it's a nice town, if a bit isolated from the major attractions.

Limeuil - always a major attraction for tourists, so might be fairly busy in June, but a nice location (very steep hill - make sure you're not going to have to haul stuff up and down that path). Used to have major raw sewage problems that caused unseemly smells in summer, but that seems to have been fixed. Gorgeous elbow bridge. Don't swim on the beach there, though. Le Chai is one of my favorite stops for lunch in the area. Marvelous carpaccios and ice creams and sorbets.
Aug 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, StCirq. I have read your wonderful trip report which mentioned how touristy Limeuil was so I became a bit concerned. Certainly appreciate your feedback - any suggestions on different towns?
Aug 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM

I'd limit myself to a 30-mile radius north/south/west of Sarlat, so Le Bugue, Meyrals, St-Cyprien, Beynac, La Roque-Gageac, Domme, Tamniès, Sireuil, St-Léon-sure-Vézère, Montignac - that whole area (though it's hard to go wrong as long as you're within a 20-minute drive to Sarlat).
Aug 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks - I'll focus on those towns.
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM

There is no shortage of great towns to stay in, as St. Cirq says. And no shortage of suitable rental properties, as well. And, of course, no shortage of opinions here on Fodors!

We spent a week staying in Daglan, and found it perfectly suited to our needs. It's a little quiet, but it has exactly one of everything you need. And we didn't mind driving a few miles to get wherever we wanted to go.

That said, the towns SC specifies in her 1:20 post are all marvelous, and fairly close to each other. You can't go too wrong with any of them. My advice: find the right house, and make sure it's actually in a town or close enough to walk.

If you want to read some more, here's a recap of our week in the area...

http://www.onelittleworld.com/france_3.html
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:26 AM

We're big fans of Daglan too - a gem of a town. Very well kept - obviously, lots of people like to "keep up" the buildings in this village. It's only about 5-10 mins to Cenac, where there is a fairly large grocery, several Boulangers & Boucheries, Poulet-a-go-go (roast chickens), newstands, wine shops, etc. Even a Tuesday am market.

Villafranche is another cute town with arcades - but like St Cirq said - a tad far away.

Like Mr Go mentioned, if you want to walk to town - make sure the gite is within walking distance. All but 1 of the 40 different gites we've rented in France are in a "town" - but only 1 was within walking distance.

Stu Dudley
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:26 AM

We've stayed in Sarlat several times and will return next spring. We enjoy the town as well as its location for access to what you want to see in the Dordogne. You might want to check out www.yourfriendsinfrance.org for information about Sarlat and accommodations there. We've stayed in "la vigne." It's perfect for two couples.
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. Quite often we have rented in France, Italy and Spain in the country but after renting a few places within towns, we've decided we really prefer that. All of the places I have considered are right within the town - which limits us a bit since so many are more in the country. Sarlat, (thanks, Roamer) has a few so I might add that town back in the mix. I was just too afraid it would be terribly overrun all the time with tourists.
Aug 18th, 2009, 08:03 PM

We stayed at a great place outside Cenac/Domme. It was about a km+ walk into Cenac. It's a b&B but they also rent out 2 cottages and a larger house on the same property. We had the large house It was great, full kitchen, Washer /dryer. Lots of room for 4 adults. Great walks down the country roads if you go out the back gate. About 15 min drive to Sarlat. The web site is la-gueriniere-dordogne.com. I' highly recommend it
Aug 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM

Just a note to say that Sarlat is not usually too busy in June - busy, but not over-run. It,s a nice time to be there.
Aug 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

So glad to hear that Sarlat would not be overrun in June, and also, thank you leuk2 for the recommendation of la gueriniere- the cottages look lovely.