Reload this Page >

Teenage boy going to Italy for 3 weeks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Melinda

I am taking my 16 year old son to Italy for 3 weeks in June. When we planned the trip, his older brother was going. Now he can't go and the 16 yr. old is very dubious about going with just parents for company. He was looking forward to touring with his brother, separately from us, at least half the time. I am wondering if there are any groups, perhaps associated with hostels or teen clubs or churches or whatever, where he could meet and tour with other teens or young adults without having to be a member of a tour group that is organized as a round-trip from the US. Anyone know of anything?

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 09:57 AM
sandi

Where in Italy?!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 11:35 AM
NIki

You could allow him to stay in a hostel for a couple of days so that he can meet other people close to his age. The downside is that once he sees the conditions as compared to your 4-star hotel, he'll probably want to come running back to stay with Mommy!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:03 PM
aaa

Melinda - I think the hostel idea is best, since most commercial tour groups catering to young people (e.g.Contiki) require a minimum age of 18 years. I seem to recall someone named Paulo on this board who had two teenage daughters whom he and his wife allowed to stay part of the time in hostels. Good luck!

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Anon

We are taking a couple of teenagers to Italy as well. You would let them stay at a youth hostel, unattended? Seriously??? <BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Rex

Having traveled with teenagers (our own, and others) quite a bit, I can't believe these hostel proposals are serious. <BR> <BR>I think this is (mostly) a parenting problem, for which - - appropriately - - a solution from knowledgeable travelers is being requested. <BR> <BR>I'm sorry I don't know "just the thing" to help you Melinda. Is it too late to have your son invite a friend along (who has the means to not be an additional burden on your family)? <BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 09:59 AM
leo

Melinda, <BR> <BR>The same thing has happened twice to our family. The first time the 15 year old managed fine without the older brother, the second time will be this summer and now he is 17. Two years ago, the 15 year old son would hang out with the folks for part of the day maybe a museum or a church, or the CT walk from Monterossa to Varenna, then we eat lunch (or not) and then he made his way back to the hotel by himself. It all depends on where you were going, but this worked for us in Venice, CT and Siena. In Rome we would put him in a taxi to go back to the hotel. Hubby and I would sightsee a bit more by ourselves or have lunch and then retire to the hotel for siesta. We would all go out to dinner together. <BR> <BR>I think your son will have a great time, just don't expect him to do everything the adults do. You must be flexible. My son has become very confident touring around by himself, and has even made a few "friends", but overall he is not a real outgoing type. This year when he is 17, I expect that he may meet a few more "kids", but even if he doesn't he really has fun with us. Of couse we only find that out about 10 months later.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 02:01 PM
steff

Hostels are safe and a fun way to meet people... he's 16...give him some freedom... Italy is safe safe safe...does he go anywhere alone in the states? Well Italy isn't as dangerous and most cities are very easy to navigate...

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Marilyn Ham

In most of the towns around 5 p.m. or so there is a custom that everyone seems to be out in the streets just walking and visiting. They refer to it as passiginata (sp?). I think your son will particularly enjoy this and it would give him an opportunity to walk and meet others his own age. Marilyn

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 09:00 AM
Ann

If he likes sports, how about looking for a sports camp of some sort? I knew a family that sent their son to a soccer camp in Italy. I don't know any specifics, but others might.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 11:27 AM
mac

<BR>I have pasted the following from a thread known as 'Travelling with Teens'. You can do a search on 'Paulo' and 'general interest' to read his responses on other threads. That way, you can base your opinion on his knowledgeability and seriousness on the merits of his posts, rather than on my say-so. <BR> <BR>I cited him specifically because as a father of two teenage daughters, I considered him to have direct and relevant experience. In his other posts he cites very detailed information that I found upon cross-checking to be completely accurate. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>------------------------------------- <BR> <BR>Author: Paulo ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 12/11/2000, 6:45 am ET <BR> <BR>Message: You don't say how old your boys are, Ann. <BR> <BR>Anyway, in my experience you should involve them in the trip planning. If you do so, if it'll be Spain or Italy will unfold naturally (group decision). You should get some general reference material on Spain and Italy (maybe something like the Eyewitness Guide for both countries) and let them "study" a bit to have an opinion of their own. Once you guys have decided which way to go (and have a draft plan on which cities to visit) I would single out some of the smaller cities for them to be completely in charge (get some extended reference material for those cities) on what concerns sightseeing. <BR> <BR>In our experience, what our girls loved most was being able to take off on their own, here and there. Whenever possible, instead of lodging them at our hotels, they stayed in youth hostels nearby (for example, to name a few, in Venice, Rothenburg, Salzburg). They would meet us at our hotel's breakfast room and we would sightsee together. Around 6pm they were off on their own (including dinner), either by themselves or with other youth they met in the hostels. In smaller cities (e.g., in Siena and Pisa), even if staying at our hotel, we would also set them loose around 6pm. At the time they were 15/16 years old. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 13th, 2001, 01:41 PM
nospam

The same question as "16 year old going to Italy". <BR> <BR>Topping it would have worked instead of asking again. <BR> <BR>

Old May 13th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Melinda

Thanks for all the replies. We are spending the first 9 days in Tuscany, 7 of them at a farmhouse with a lake where he can fish (according to the info from the owner). He wanted to travel on a train with his brother but is not interested in doing that alone. I have tried to find a friend to take with us but no takers at this point. Any other ideas will be welcome.

Old May 14th, 2001, 02:56 AM
nancy

topping for melinda

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:15 AM
nospam

Since rentals run from Saturday to Saturday, I recommend going to church on sunday. and since you'll be in Tuscany, this means going to Catholic Mass. Even if you don't get anything out of it, you may find that you can ask someone there about other families in the area who might like to come to dinner one night, and get to know you and your son. It could lead to finding a friend for him, for fishing or who knows what. <BR>