Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Best day trip w/overnight from Paris on May 1 holiday

Best day trip w/overnight from Paris on May 1 holiday

Mar 30th, 1999, 07:35 AM
Kathy

Best day trip w/overnight from Paris on May 1 holiday

Would like to plan a trip outside of Paris for our last two nights, then depart from CDG noon flight. Complications include the May 1 holiday. Right now I am looking at the Fontainebleau/ Vaux le Vicomte area.

How far to CDG from this area?
Will all the restaurants be closed on Saturday?
Any suggestions for accommodations in chateau or an inn?
Would another area be better for this type of trip?

Many thanks for any help,
Kathy

Mar 30th, 1999, 07:46 AM
John

Kathy, CDG is 15 miles north of Paris and Fontainebleu is 35 miles south of Paris.

Mar 30th, 1999, 07:46 AM
John

Kathy, CDG is 15 miles north of Paris and Fontainebleu is 35 miles south of Paris.

Mar 30th, 1999, 04:01 PM
elvira

North and west of Paris is Rouen; to the north and east is the Champagne region which is very pretty and very...ahem... bubbly. Both are doable in a day, so overnight would be very easy.

Mar 30th, 1999, 08:30 PM
Kathy

Thanks for your replies. As long as the place we stay is within an hour or two of CDG we should be ok for our noon flight.

Does anyone know how the Labor Day holiday will affect restaurants in the areas outside of Paris? Is the Champagne area better for a visit than the area around Fontainebleau?

Thanks, Kathy

Mar 30th, 1999, 08:30 PM
Kathy

Thanks for your replies. As long as the place we stay is within an hour or two of CDG we should be ok for our noon flight.

Does anyone know how the Labor Day holiday will affect restaurants in the areas outside of Paris? Is the Champagne area better for a visit than the area around Fontainebleau?

Thanks, Kathy

Mar 31st, 1999, 06:24 AM
John

I don't think you will have a problem with the restaurants. You didn't say how you will be travelling ... rental car or train? You could run into a lot of traffic around the holiday weekend. The road from Fontainbleu to Paris (A6) can get some massive traffic jams if you hit it wrong. It is also typically backed up every morning with people going into Paris for work and dosen't clear until around 10:00AM. Your flight from Paris is noon and you should be there 2 hrs ahead of time which means you would have to leave Fontainbleu by 8:00AM the latest. The hotel can advise you what time to leave.

Not for nothing, but my choice would be to do your side trip earlier in the trip and stay in Paris the night before your flight or closer to the airport. However, there really isn't muh by the airport and Paris is only 15 miles away.

Mar 31st, 1999, 08:23 AM
jeanne

Kathy-

My husband's company is based in Fontainbleu (actually it recently moved but it was there for 10 years) and I have made the Fontainbleu-CDG trip a lot. I don't think you will have any trouble with restaurants on Saturday, but do be really careful with Sunday traffic-early in the day it should be a problem and I think that the May 1st week-end may be a "pont" in which case the "going back to Paris" traffic won't hit until Monday, but I am not sure. Francesca-do you know-or any of our Paris dwellers?

Fontainbleu is really lovely but it is a long way from CDG-plan 2 hours-more if you need to return a car.

A couple of other suggestions-Chantilly which has a beautiful castle and is only about 1/2hour from CDG or St Germain en Laye, which is a town very similar to Fontainbleu but it is due West instead of South and only about 45 minutes-1 hour from CDG. Again a lovely castle, parks, great shopping, etc. Like Fontainbleu-it has a large International population so it tends towards the upscale with lots of little "hip" boutiques and restaurants. The Fontainbleu and Chantilly surrounding areas are more "country" than St Germain which is more suburban and very close to Versailles.

Hope this helps-I do think it is great that you want to venture outside Paris a bit-there's lots to see there as well.

Mar 31st, 1999, 12:40 PM
anne

Chantilly sounds good to me -the chateau and grounds were one of our favorite stops in France- and close by is the charming medieval village of Senlis. Check out the book Day Trips France for other ideas.
Happy travels!

Mar 31st, 1999, 08:26 PM
Kathy

Thanks all so much. I realize that I did not state that we are planning on renting a car and that our departure is on May 2, Sunday at noon from CDG. Can't remember where, but was told that the Sunday morning traffic should be easy. Could be complicated by the holiday perhaps?

Lovely choices--Chantilly and Fontainebleau.

Kathy

Apr 1st, 1999, 07:54 AM
John

Kathy, Sunday and especially in the morning makes all the difference in the world. If you do decide to go to Fontainebleu, you will have the A6 highway back to Paris all to yourselves as well as the Periperique and the A1 highway to CDG. You really would not like A6 on Sunday night. It will most certainly look like a 40 mile parking lot. Barbizon is a quaint little town near Fontainebleu which you may want to visit.

Search this Thread