Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   best day trip from London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-day-trip-from-london-95555/)

susan Dec 4th, 2000 07:50 AM

best day trip from London

Trying to decide on the best day trip from london in early january. We will have been to york and bath prior to arrival in the big city so those places are out. Are considering Warwick (but is that really too much travel for a comfortable day trip?), Windsor/Eton or Hampton Court. Or, do you have other ideas of what may be best? Particulary looking for charm! thanks for any and all advice.

the turnip Dec 4th, 2000 08:20 AM

We really enjoyed Leeds castle which was an easy day trip. Brighton was fun too but not sure January is the best time of year for that...

XXX Dec 4th, 2000 08:24 AM

I enjoyed my daytrip out to Windsor Castle. British Airways had included the excursion as part of my flight. Not too far from London, but a nice change of scenery and a beautiful castle. How about a daytrip to Oxford or Cambridge?

kathy Dec 4th, 2000 06:02 PM

Just back from Thanksgiving week in London where we took a day trip to Windsor. It was wonderful. If you go during the week when the queen is not in residence, one can tour the state rooms. The workmanship is unbelievable - paintings by Holbein and Van Dyke, carving by Grinling Gibbons. The town itself is charming - just a 45 minute trip from London. I recommend it highly.

M.E. Dec 4th, 2000 06:08 PM

Here's a vote for Hampton Court. Fascinating, especially if you're interested in the life of Henry VIII. Very easy to get there, spend the day, then back in the city.

RobbieK Dec 5th, 2000 05:00 AM

You only have one day for a day trip? You have a hard choice to make if that is the case. All of the choices above are wonderful, each in their own way. <BR> <BR>Leeds castle - wonderful castle and allows you to really get into the English country side. Nice train ride from London and a nice way to spend a day. A castle like you picture in your mind complete with moat. <BR> <BR>Hampton Court - wonderful buildings and grounds/gardens. A great trip for a day or even half day as it is close in. Easily reached. Highly recommended. <BR> <BR>Windsor Castle - great place to visit, both the castle, where the Queen and family still live (a "working" castle), plus the city is pretty neat. You can also walk into Eton, home of the famous school of the rich and soon to be famous. Again, highly recommended. <BR> <BR>Warwick - nice place to visit to see a fully restored castle with furnishings and wax figures (owned by Madame Tussads). Good day trip by train. <BR> <BR>Other choices: <BR>Oxford to see the beautiful University buildings and a neat town. Easy access by train from London. Options while in Oxford include a day tour of the Cotswalds (available from tour companies in Oxford, have done this and well worth the time and money). <BR> <BR>Cambridge again to visit the University buildings. Easy access by train. <BR> <BR>For a wonderful botanical garden close in to London, either by tube or better yet by boat on the Thames, visit Kew Gardens. <BR> <BR>Stonehenge is interesting, but not real easy to reach from London without a car or via a tour company (you could hit this when in Bath) <BR> <BR>If you like china (think Wedgwood, etc) consider a day trip to Stoke on Trent to visit the potteries. Doable in day by train as well (not on Sunday as most are closed). <BR> <BR>Ah, choices, choices, choices. My personal selection would be between Windsor, Hampton Court, and Leeds if you have only one day to use. Of these three I have a hard time deciding which one. One idea would be to do Windsor in the morning (leave early) then do Hampton Court in the afternoon, which is quite feasible, since both are basically in the suburbs of London. Leeds will require a dedicated day trip, using up most of a day for travel there, visit, and travel back. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. Have fun.

Roger Dec 5th, 2000 07:10 AM

I have done each of the trips mentioned above and I agree with what has been said, however, one place that I really enjoyed was discussed. My recommendation would be to Cardiff, Wales. About a 2 hour train ride and after a visit to the Castle in Cardiff you can take a short train ride to Carphilly.(spelling?) Great old castle that was destroyed during the Civil war by Cromwell. IMO the best castle ever.

Judy Dec 5th, 2000 07:46 AM

Susan, as you can see, I posted elsewhwere on this Forum about a bus tour of Stratford, Oxford and Warwick, and I nixed that big time! My TENTATIVE(weather being a factor) four daytrips from London are as follows: Greenwich; Hampton Court; Warwick Castle, and Cambridge. We have been to Bath, Salisbury and Stonehenge before and they were great! FYI, ps. we were also thinking about Windsor especially to see the Changing of the guards....but we shall see. Judy

Pipster Dec 5th, 2000 09:45 AM

Susan: My vote is for Hampton Court. I am just returned from a Thanksgiving trip to London/Edinburgh and took a day trip out to Hampton Court Palace. The self guided headphone tour is excellent (and no extra charge). Hampton Court is extremely easy to get to. Take the District Line (the green one) tube to Richmond. Exit the Richmond station and catch the #28 (or #82 don't remember exactly) bus. The bus stop is directly in front of the tube station. Also, the bus destination is clearly marked, Hampton Court Palace. The bus portion of the trip is only 70p. Keep in mind that in January it will get dark very early, so extended day trips out of London may leave you in the dark. Also, I recommend you go through the maze. It is covered in your price of admission to the Palace. It will test your sense of direction and patience. Simple solution to getting out, follow a child. They always seem to know the way out.

xxx Dec 5th, 2000 10:30 AM

St. Albans is a good nearby day trip.

Debs Dec 5th, 2000 03:57 PM

Susan-all excellent suggestions, but vote goes to either Hampton Court Palace or Windsor/Eton, in that order. If you go to Windsor, make sure to visit St George's Chapel (on the grounds)-it's beautiful. Kew Gardens might be better suited to summer weather rather than in January. You could always catch a train to Dover, tour the castle, see the White Cliffs, then hop on a hovercraft to Calais, France for the day. Quite an experience to say the least. Happy planning !!

kam Dec 5th, 2000 05:14 PM

All great suggestions--just want to add Canterbury to the mix.

deb Dec 5th, 2000 11:42 PM

I would add my vote for Windsor. It is easy to do and really quite interesting. The town is 'cute', too. I have been there several times. Once was right after the fire. We went in May and had to see it once it was finished. What a marvelous job they did. It really is nice.

David White Dec 6th, 2000 10:11 AM

Susan, <BR> <BR>The votes appear to be in and Windsor/Eton and Hampton Court seem to be in a virtual tie...time for a recount? <BR> <BR>Both are great days trips, both are within 40 minutes of downtown London by train, both have terrific castles/palaces. Since you are going in January, the gardens at Hampton Court are not much of a factor (most of the gardens at Windsor Castle are private). <BR> <BR>I would give Windsor a SLIGHT edge, but only by a "dimpled chad". (I will drop the Florida election puns now). Windsor Castle's state rooms are worth touring and the chapel in the castle grounds is very interesting (it is not open for tours on Sundays). <BR> <BR>While in Windsor, take a stroll over the pedestrian bridge to the small town of Eton. Not much there, but it is a typical old style Thames River town...home to antique shops, pubs, and the famous boys school. <BR> <BR>IF you go to Hampton Court, I would suggest that you do not take the Tube (subway) from London to Richmond, then the bus to Hampton Court. Instead take a train from London's Waterloo Station to Hampton Court Station. This is only a short walk to the palace and the rail trip is only 30 minutes. The tube involves many, many stops and a longish bus ride. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps you. Enjoy your daytrip. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>David White <BR>LET'S TAKE THE KIDS TO LONDON <BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com <BR>

Ted Dec 6th, 2000 10:14 AM

I Live in London and am an official Tourist Guide. If you want to do a day trip out of London in the Winter months the best would be to Windsor. Here you can visit the best Castle in England. View the State Rooms and St Georges Chapel. Shop in the delightful town. Take lunch at the Royal Oak Pub. Then walk over the bridge over the Thames into the twin town of Eton. The Royal Princes William and Harry are at school here. William has now left the school before University. A great day out. Take the train from Waterloo Station. The Castle is open every day including Sundays. Want more advice on places to stay clean good location and not too expensive please contact me. I am glad to help. Best Regards TED in LONDON

Penny Dec 7th, 2000 04:54 AM

Although Warwick is a great trip, I must side with those who recommend Hampton Court or Windsor if you've never seen them. <BR> <BR>And I agree with the poster who recommended taking the train rather than the bus. In April, we took the bus and it seemed to take FOREVER. Particularly with short days, get there as quickly as you can. And do plan to spend an entire day. <BR> <BR>

Joyce Dec 7th, 2000 11:55 AM

Hampton Court, Windsor castle, Leeds Castle were all wonderful but Canterbury in January was great. Try to go on a Sunday and go to an Evensong service at the Cathedral. The train from London takes less than an hour and there are several good inexpensive restaurants all within walking distance from the train station.

susan Dec 15th, 2000 07:18 AM

Thank you all so much for all the information and ideas! We will be in london for 8 days but, as we knew from the start, what we want to be able to fit in is far more than can be done in that short time period. But, we like to remember that while this may be our first trip to London/England/Great Britain, it will most definitely not be our last. <BR> <BR>Now, if only the snow would stop long enough to ensure an on-time departure.....got to catch that train to Durham........

VJ Dec 16th, 2000 10:51 AM

We have made day trips to many of the places suggested, including Hampton Court, Warwick, Leeds Castle, Oxford, and Windsor. While all were great, for me it would be a tossup between Hampton Court and Warwick, with a slight edge to Hampton Court, and Oxford running a close third. Whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed. I would second the advice that should you go to Hampton Court, you take the train rather than the tube or bus. Have a great time!

Beth Anderson Dec 16th, 2000 12:21 PM

I thought Greenwich was great. Read Longitude by Dava Sobel before you go (less than 200 pages). Good book, and you'll want to seek out H1-H5 <BR> <BR> <BR>(read the book, you will know what the above means...) <BR> <BR>:-)