COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Best day to look for economic flights

Old Apr 14th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Best day to look for economic flights

Is Tuesday the best day, the day when new fares are posted? thanks
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 01:17 PM

I am not sure this holds any more. Computers are so sophisticated that I once tried to book a flight on Aer Lingus and when I went on the second time an hour later the price was higher.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 01:37 PM

The day when new fares are posted? Is that really true? Prices change almost constantly. If you want to get a month-long forecast (as of the moment you are looking) you could try using kayak.com
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 01:43 PM

I think they used to change Tuesday night into Wednesday, but I don't think that is the case any more. I could be dead wrong. Now they have sites that will e-mail you when the day and route of the flight you want changes.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 02:26 PM

There's no magic day or magic hour for booking. See this: http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...venue-manager/
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 02:51 PM

The cost of flights change as available seats are sold, so, as already noted, there is no magical time to book your flight once the seats have been released for sale.

If you are looking for an upgrade, then yes, there is a magical time, but each airline is different in when they release seats that can be upgraded. If you're a premium FF member with a certain airline, you can add your name to the upgrade list and will be notified when the upgrade is available. No need to call back once you're on the list.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 06:26 AM

Some items related to travel are subjective: Does it worth visiting this place or that place? Other things can be verified. The relevant airfare variation "theory" can be verified on your own. Just look at air fares across different days to see the veracity of the claim.

Even if we postulate such day exists, it is likely to be IRRELEVANT for your purpose. The studies cover long periods, over flight segments not related to your travel, measure different time periods. The aggregate "so and so day is cheaper" is a amalgamation of variations - some more expensive, some cheaper - but an an aggregate, it is statistically cheaper.

One can easily end up buying tickets on "Tuesday" and end up hitting the high end of the variations.

Many come to this forum looking for a place and a day to buy tickets. The price varies more by when one travels, the lead time to the departure, the routes taken, the demand, and the market - what competitors are doing in the same market segment. One has a better chance of lowering the over all travel cost by working the flights into the ground portion and avoiding back-tracking cost and an unproductive one-night stay at an airport for the return flight.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 06:34 AM

Let's not get philosophical about airline tickets. You choose to go somewhere and you want the best price for that route, just as you want the best price for a hotel room.

If that route is to expensive you may change destinations, but that is as philosophical as it gets.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 09:29 AM

What does a new fare have to do with it, the idea that you get some great cheap airfare on a Tuesday and the same itinerary is going to be a lot more expensive the following day isn't true.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 09:51 AM

Air France has a sale for European and North African flights every Wednesday (starting at midnight Tuesday, Paris time).
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 10:33 AM

"Let's not get philosophical about airline tickets"

Not a case of philosophy, just a case of hard headed domestic economics.

Airlines try to use ticketing income models to fleece as much money out of your as possible. Prices frequently deviate over time by as much as 100% for what is a homogenous, intangible service.

Course it isn't that simple.

"What does a new fare have to do with it, the idea that you get some great cheap airfare on a Tuesday and the same itinerary is going to be a lot more expensive the following day isn't true"

Sorry Christina that statement simply isn't true.

Two weeks ago we booked 3 tickets from Manchester, England to Charleston, SC. In one day the fares fluctuated between a total of £2300 to £1459 with the same carrier. Even more insane was that partners of that carrier were selling the same tickets on that carrier's flight for vastly differing prices. Delta, KLM and Virgin all sell tickets on the route all offered vastly different prices throughout the day.

In answer to the OP.

Clearly, the only way to know the answer would be to have a detailed knowledge of how the ticket pricing software operates for each carrier.

Anyone know?
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 05:19 PM

My husband and I have found that we have to just keep looking... We finally booked a flight for $1600 (SEA to MAN) one day (after missing a few for $1100 3 months earlier when we didn't have the money handy) and found a less convenient, but better for our purpose flight for $1000 the next. We booked the latter, cancelled the former (w/i 24 hr cancellation period), and haven't looked since because we don't want to know if anything better shows up!