best Croatia beach and travel from Budapest to Croatia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2019, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this has been asked before but it still is a little unclear as to “ easiest” way to get from Budapest to Croatia. Our goal is to either get to Vis or Rovinj. I want to be in a beautiful beach area and my husband wants to also have the ability to see some historic settings at same time.
1. Vis vs Rovinj? Or other beach/ island. We are in 60’s and aren’t looking for a party setting, but beauty and local culture.
2. Transportation to Split in order to get to Vis or transportation to Rovinj?
Drive; bus or train; fly? Driving seems fastest but least relaxing potentially. Trains seem most relaxing but not straightforward; flying also isn’t direct and expensive.
what would readers suggest for either of above to help us decide?
thanks in advance
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 08:37 AM

If you choose Vis, I would fly to Split (check skyscanner). If flying does not work out, you can take train to Zagreb and then bus to Split. Then ferry or catamaran to Vis (operators are Jadrolinija and Krilo) To get to the best beaches on Vis, you need a scooter or car (or bike, if you are fit--I was not about to ride up that hill out of Vis every day). There is not a whole lot else, but husband may enjoy Tito's cave. If you have enough time, split time in Vis and Split for more things to do.
Island of Vis - Town of Vis tourist board, welcome

For Rovinj, I would at least check flights to Pula and even Rijeka, otherwise I think the best choice would be train to Zagreb and rent a car, which is needed for the interior hill towns of Istria. Places along the coast are easily visited by bus. I have not been to Istria and don't know the beaches as well, but I would for sure drive down to Premantura.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 05:43 PM
kja

If you want a combination of beach and culture, I'm a bit surprised that you've narrowed your list to Vis and Rovinj, particularly as neither is all that easy to reach from Budapest. It would seem that I don't understand your criteria.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 05:57 PM

We took a private car service (MyDayTrip.com) from Budapest to Zagreb. Door-to-door of our hotels, they handled all the luggage and getting through the border was a breeze! We loved the service and would do it again in a heartbeat. About 4 hours door-to-door. We also opted for a side-trip to a Hungarian castle on the way, as I tend to get carsick and wanted to break up the trip. I also was allowed to ride up front with the driver, and that was a big help.

Additionally, had a wonderful, informative conversation with the driver (he was Croatian) about the history of Croatia, etc. Since we were headed to Zagreb to find distant cousins, this was all very fascinating.

Good luck!
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to those of you who have responded. To person wondering about criteria, if you have other suggestions of beach towns to get to more easily from Budapest I’d be interested in hearing.
Im not sure what you were asking.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 06:51 PM
kja

Originally Posted by springchickennot
Thank you to those of you who have responded. To person wondering about criteria, if you have other suggestions of beach towns to get to more easily from Budapest I’d be interested in hearing.
Im not sure what you were asking.
Feel free to refer to us by our screen names. I'm kja.

I'm not a beach person AT ALL, but I would not consider Vis a destination for anyone interested in "culture" as I definite it; you might define it differently. And Rovinj has charm, but IMO, not a great deal of "culture." So I was confused by your reference to places that combine beaches and culture. I'd think Porec a better choice, or Rab -- but I doubt either would be "easy" from Budapest.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 06:10 AM

How much time do you have? That would help in providing suggestions.
You had chosen Vis and Rovinj for some reason -- I think either would make a great trip. Let us know if you have time to stop over in Split, as it is near the top in terms of historical interest and has many day trip options. A few days there and a few days in Vis would be wonderful.
Check your flight options and then come back if you need alternatives.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

I think my reference to culture was unclear as you’ve pointed out. I think I was trying to describe not culture ( such as theatre, etc) as history and old architecture, of which there is so much in Croatia.
I have the information necessary and will be narrowing down what we can do given our time (1week) and interests.
thank you for your input.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

@ Kja
we have decided to go to Rab- it fits all our requirements and looks beautiful!
we will be driving from Budapest- seems like simplest and least expensive way to go
thanks!
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 04:12 PM
kja

I hope you enjoy it! I thought Rab was delightful. Let us know how it works for you.