best crepe in paris

Search

best crepe in paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best crepe in paris

Fodorites: Where have you found the best crepes in Paris?
My vote goes to a window walk-up stand (I can't remember the name) at the northeast corner of Boulevard Hausmann and Rue du Faubourg Montmartre in the 9th. The banana crepe with nutella and whipped cream is sublime!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:14 PM

You're gonna get a lot of responses to this post! On our last trip to Paris in May, our fave was on the corner of St. Germain 10 feet from the Metro entrance. Limone was great, so was Grand Marnier and Nutella!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:18 PM
ira

Hi,

I second Marilyn's choice, but it was only 5 min from our hotel so we got a crepe on the way out and, again, on the way in.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:24 PM

5 min from our hotel, too, Ira. But we did not indulge as much as you did -- too many other delights upon which to spend our alloted calories.

Should have mentioned that this was a free-standing walk-up trailer sort of stand.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:15 PM

One of my earliest memories of Paris is of being there as a child (about 9 or 10 years old)and eating a hot crepe wrapped in paper, out of my hand, from a stand on the street (near the Louvre, I think.) It was utterly simple - all it had inside was rich melted butter and a sprinkling of very crunchy sugar. The butter ran down my chin and it was sublime.

I still occasionally make crepes at home for my kids (they're actually pretty easy to make) and fill them with Nutella or cheese or jam, etc...but I have to say that they especially love the plainest butter/sugar combination best of all.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:12 PM

When crepe batter is poured and a crepe produced at your request, how can it be anything but delicious?

I only say no when the crepe man reaches for a crepe from a stack of pre-made crepes next to the griddle. I had one of these once & it was like eating a cold sponge.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Good point, invisible. A pre-made crepe does sound pretty unappetizing!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:37 PM

There's a good creperie on the rue St. Andre des Arts.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:44 PM

Grandmere, is that the creperie painted in bright colors, with orange & yellow being the predominant ones? If so, I've never eaten there but I love the decor.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 04:40 AM

Capo, I think that's the one I'm speaking of.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:53 AM

Hands-down, positively, my favorite was the crepe we had within an hour of our first arrival in Paris.

We were at the north (river) end of Luxembourg Gardens, either on Blvd. St. Michel or Rue de Medicis. We were jet-lagged. It was cold and pouring down rain. We bought a ham & cheese crepe, fresh cooked, from the street vendor there....ooooo la la. We stood under that dripping umbrella and devoured our dripping crepes. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Worst crepe was at a little cafe in Paimpol. The raw eggs on top assured me I wasn't going to like this one as much as the first one.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:12 AM

"Something" Creperie at Blvd St. Germain and St. Michel.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:50 AM

For great crepes and a fun and entertaining atmosphere, try Le Sarrasin et le Froment Creperie, 84-86 rue St Louis en I'Isle (Ile St Louis). Mina, the chef/server/entertainer/owner, delivers a mean crepe, meal-type or dessert.

Regards,

Jinx Hoover
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:56 AM

I found a few really great places but honestly...any of the walk up places or just about any place in Paris has great crepes. It is kind of like trying to find good gelato in Florence....

However, one place does stand out...it was in the latin quarter on Blvd. St Germain like two or three blocks from Blvd Respail...and it was a stand alone cart in front of a church right by a train station (which unfortunately I do not remember the name). The only thing I can say is it was close to Cafe Flore.

Wish I could give more information but hope this helps a bit. I really miss the crepes of Paris...and the Gelato in Florence...I actually want to go Paris buy some crepes with nothing on them and then go to Florence so they can fill them with Gelato.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:05 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the crepe stand on rue Cler that sort of leans against Cafe du Marche. Crepes are made to order and are tres magnifique, burre et sucre being especially tres magnifique.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:14 AM

Creperie de Josselin
Rue du Montparnasse

Always packed, always delicious. As good as any crepe or galette I had in Bretagne.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:38 AM

passantd -- that's the one we loved! It was on the route between our hotel and the Metro, so we had plenty of opportunities to sample the wares.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm with Digital on Josselin (and the whole street is lined with creperies). For restaurant crepes. I haven't really found an outdoor crepe stand (although they are all excellent) that compares to the crepe stand across from the post office in Grenoble.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:48 AM

The crepe stand that Ira and Marilyn are referring to is really popular. The guy draws a good crowd. He's got a great location too just on the blvd.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:04 PM

maybe it is not THE best place for crepes, but when I was in Paris my fave crepe place was CREPES FOLIES, under the Louvre Pyramid, in the Carousel du Louvre, second floor, facing Virgin store if I recall well. There were also other eating places on the same floor (for the poor and tired visitors of the Louvre). I found their crepes great, my favourite of course Nutella and powdered sugar on top, simple but delicious, They would also make crepes with cheese and lots of other combinations. I also enjoyed watching (with a bit of envy) the people who would prepare the crepe spreading the dough with that flat stick. I tried to reproduce the thing at home....I dont even have to say with what results.... sigh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -