Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Credit Card for CDW coverage (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-credit-card-for-cdw-coverage-221958/)

lynn May 17th, 2002 02:23 PM

Best Credit Card for CDW coverage

What is the best credit card coverage for CDW? Is there a card which will cover most o my deductible and theft?<BR>Which card should I use when signing agreement?<BR>Any information would be appreciated

Dan May 17th, 2002 03:20 PM

The gold/platinum Visa - Mastercards and American Express all pretty much provide the same level of coverage. In the U.S. it is secondary coverage to your own auto insurance. In europe, it is usually primary coverage. I generally use American Express as it is a great company to deal with if you have a problem. I haven't had experience with the others. However, AX doesn't provide insurance coverage in Italy and Ireland and a couple of other spots. Other cards also differ on where they exclude coverage. Make sure your card covers where you are going.

Carol May 17th, 2002 03:22 PM

I have used my Diners Club and have been VERY pleased. The only time I had a claim I just called them from Spain and they dealt with everything. Also, my Diners Club is always primary which is nice. Diners Club does provide coverage in Italy, but I could not find a rental company that would let me out of the insurance coverage so I think I am well covered in Italy this year!

fran May 18th, 2002 03:24 AM

A corporate plat. amex does not cover CDW

???? May 18th, 2002 03:31 AM

What's CDW?

tania May 18th, 2002 07:18 AM

If you're counting on your credit card to give you CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) on your car rental, be sure you have PRIMARY coverage with which you can simply walk away after paying the deductible. SECONDARY insurance (most cards) goes after your personal car insurer FIRST then will pay any outstanding not covered by your own insurer. Your personal insurance will then go up due to the claim.

Ed May 18th, 2002 10:20 AM

I don't believe any U.S. based card offers primary coverage for use in the U.S. All of the cards look to your own car insurance first. Its primary coverage in europe because your U.S. insurance doesnt cover you there. Also, the cards limit the number of days of coverage, usually to rentals of about two weeks or less. They also don't cover additional drivers unless their names are on rental contract. Some also have dollar limits on the coverage or won't cover expensive cars, off road use, etc. In other words, it is very important to check out all the limitations on the particular card you are attempting to use.

tania May 18th, 2002 12:54 PM

Should have clarified. My goldcard is Canadian.

Jim May 18th, 2002 01:56 PM

Diners club in the US provides primary insurance on all rental cars in North America and the World.... but you must decline CDW.

barbara May 18th, 2002 03:40 PM

Mastercard and Visa also exclude certain countries, and I believe Italy is one of them (Ireland too). Be sure to recheck before you travel because the countries covered sometimes changes (you know those "updated benefits brochures" you sometimes get in your statement? You really need to read them and check the dates that coverage might cease or be reinstated)

Adam May 18th, 2002 04:31 PM

What goes on in Italy and Ireland that would prevent insurance coverage in those countries? <BR><BR>Are they more likely to be stolen or vandalized there?

Syd May 18th, 2002 08:45 PM

To Tania-- or anyone: In re:your comment "be sure you have PRIMARY coverage...." -- Exactly what does that mean? How does one get primary coverage when US insurance companies (mine is State Farm) do not cover you in Europe? Thanks. Syd

Tony May 19th, 2002 10:48 AM

Jim is right about Diner's Club except, for some reason, if you live in the state of New York.

barbara May 19th, 2002 12:53 PM

yes,cars are probably more likely to be stolen or , espcially, broken into in Italy and Ireland, but it may have more to do with local insurance laws . In order to get coverage with a US credit card,you have to decline the CDW. In some countries, CDW is mandatory (either extra cost or included). Since you can't decline it, the US coverage doesn't apply. However, these mandatory included CDWs may have a huge deductible ($1000 US or more) so you still aren't totally covered unless you buy more insurance...

CJIMI May 20th, 2002 06:01 PM

I used my Bank of America VISA, when I rented a car in France last July. I had my drivers side window smashed by thieves on a Saturday night - in the rain. After driving around all day Sunday with a plastic trash bag over the window, I got it replaced on Monday afternoon. I took photos of the damage, and made a report at the police station. When I returned to the USA, VISA reimbused me for the approximate $92 cost of the window. When I was in Ireland for a long weekend in February of 2001, I had to pay about $7/day for the CDW - and I was still responsable for the first 350 punts of any vehicle damage. I contacted the credit card company to ask why they cover France, but not Ireland. I could not get a straight answer.

Nancy May 20th, 2002 06:10 PM

On my first time renting a car I took out an American Express card as they would cover up to 30 days which I needed. MasterCard only covered for 2 weeks. I did not have to pay extra for CDW. This was in 1996 and then, again, about 3 years later. During the latter trip, someone scrapped the side of the car in a parking lot which I didn't see until much later and I never heard a word about it. The rental company picked up my car at my hotel so I didn't even talk to them.