Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at these hotels in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and joined because of the quality of discussions I've seen here. Information seems to be shared in a friendly and helpful way. Just browsing through, I have found many sights and dining recommendations which are now on our itinerary.

We're spending three weeks in Italy this autumn. Visiting Lake Como ( staying in Varenna), Venice, Umbria (Spello), Tuscany (Siena), and Rome. 3 to 4 days each place.

As a general rule, we choose hotels on the basis of location first (we like to be right in town), then hospitality and ambiance, with amenities (beyond a decent bed and bathroom) as a last consideration. A well-located and welcoming two-star property will win out over a less central, more impersonal three or four star place every time with us.

I'm happy with our arrangements in Varenna (Casa Rossa/Albergo Milano), Venice (Hotel Campiello) and Spello (Albergo del Teatro).

But we're unsure about Siena and Rome.

In Siena, we chose Pallazo Masi due to it's location just steps off the Campo. It's reasonably priced even including the €25 per day for parking (at Campo Parking). Has anyone stayed there?
I have seen recommendations on this board for Pallazo Ravizza which is a bit further from the Campo, and is considerably more expensive. Parking is included which is a major convenience of course. Ravizza is a hotel and Masi more of a residenza. The price difference isn't a dealbreaker for us. We would regret saving the money only to end up in a dive. And I'm not sure about in/out access at the municipal parking lot. Any information or help here would be really appreciated.

Rome obviously presents many more choices. Again, location was the prime factor in choosing where to stay (we're returning the car at FCO before we enter Rome). Here we selected Hotel Barocco on Piazza Barberini. We like this location because of its easy walking distance to so many central Rome sights. There are dozens of hotels in that vicinity. Have we chosen well?

Thanks for any guidance or warnings you can provide.
Rick and Jen
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
first of all, welcome to fodors. you are clearly highly discerning people, who will find other highly discerning people here, just longing to share their knowledge with you! in fact we are sometimes like a little family, and as you may find if you hang around long enough, just like any family, we quarrel and squabble, but [most of us] are lovely folks!

I can't help you with your individual hotel bookings, [the reviews on Booking.com tend to be very reliable, as unlike Trip advisor, only real travellers can post there] but your itinerary looks good, with nice long stays in each place.

have a great trip!
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 11:43 AM

Look at this place in Siena:
http://www.villaliberty.it/en/

In Rome, look at www.hotel-giardino-roma.com
Better location
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 11:52 AM

The pizza Barberini location of your hotel is excellent.

I am utterly mystified by the basis for bob's recommendation. It is not a better location.

Bob, have you ever once stayed in either location? You've written so many trip reports, please link to the one about where you stayed in Rome at any time in the past 10 years.

rg,

I don't know Siena, but if you're interested, you should ask bob why he is recommending this hotel and when he has ever stayed there.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can report that the ingress/egress of the Palazzo Ravizza parking lot is extremely easy. Basically, two turns from the city gate (Porta San Marco, I think) and two turns back out. We were able to drive to the hotel's front door to unload/load luggage, so no walking with the bags. The walk from the hotel to the Campo is not far but a bit uphill. The views from the garden side of the hotel are wonderful.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

First off, thanks to all for such quick responses.
Bob, I too am not clear on why Nazionale would be a better location than Barberini. That kind of threw me. Admittedly it's about 10 minutes closer to ancient Rome on foot. On the other hand, Spagna and Borghese are closer to Barberini. Navona's about the same distance from both. Advantage has to go to Barberini for the Metro station.
Is there something I'm missing about the surrounding neighborhoods?
According to the booking.com ratings, I'm doing ok with the actual hotels I've chosen. Thanks, Ann(?), for that useful advice.
The choice between the convenience and superior amenities of Ravizza vs. the "authenticity" of Masi (which really isn't a hotel) is more difficult. I'll check back to see if anyone has experienced the Campo parking lot or the residenza itself.
In the meantime, thanks again to everyone. This is an excellent forum.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Is it ever possible, Zeppole, to simply answer the OP's question without always making your thinly veiled jab at another poster's information and credibility? It's tiresome, and deflects from the OP, each and every time.

What Jean says about the Palazzo Ravizza; the views are amazing as well.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 02:22 PM

rg523, if you decide on Palazzo Masi, I would make sure you arrive with a good street map of Siena as well as detailed instructions on getting to Palazzo Masi and/or the parking lot from the direction you'll be arriving.

FYI, we hadn't been to Siena in several years before our last trip, and we were dismayed at the amount of traffic. I was glad we weren't driving any further into the town than the Ravizza's parking lot although the Campo area would be easy to find (if that's in fact where the parking lot is located).

Also, did you notice that both parking and breakfast are not included in the rate at Masi? Depending on your breakfast habits, that's as much as 41 additional euros per day.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 03:10 PM

I stand corrected---I misread the Piazza name.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Well, thanks to everyone. After considering everything recommended here as well as some more web searching, we've decided on Palazzo Ravizza in Siena and Hotel Barroco in Rome. Your comments, endorsements, and especially Jean's comments on traffic (we will be arriving in Siena on Friday and staying through the weekend) really tipped the scales for me (I'm the driver). You guys were a huge help. I'll post a review of our trip in October.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM

I don't think the Palazzo Ravizza will disappoint. Do ask for a garden-side room.

But IMO don't follow their restaurant suggestions.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 11:47 AM

Piazza Barberini is an excellent location, much better than Via Nazional!!!
Hotel Barocco isn't a bad choice,some rooms are actually overlooking Piazza Barberini and the fountain ( i guess they will be loud... but worth the view)

In the same area try also Hotel Imperiale, located directly on Via Veneto and Hotel Savoy, both 4 stars with Savoy being better than Imperiale.They often have excellent special rates.

Another hotel i would absolutely recommend is Hotel Dei Borgognoni, near Via del Tritone, Via del Corso and Fontana di Trevi, in an excellent but quiet part of Rome.