Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best cities to visit in Europe in late Feb.? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-cities-to-visit-in-europe-in-late-feb-280270/)

Josh Dec 18th, 2002 07:12 AM

Best cities to visit in Europe in late Feb.?

We are planning a trip in the last week of February (for just that week) and would like to visit somewhere new in Europe. We are not interested in returning to Paris, Prague or London. Although we don't expect tropical weather, we would prefer locales where the whether would generally from 50 degree F on up (in other words not frigid as in Scandanavia. We realize that rain is a possibility that time of year (esp. in S. Europe) but are looking to avoid areas that generally get particualrly heavy downpours or, alternatively, offer sufficient "rainy day" activity. So far we are considering Malta, Dublin, Rome, Barcelona, Athens and Florence. Any thoughts or additional suggestions would be appreciated.

x Dec 18th, 2002 07:27 AM

Sicily

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Dec 18th, 2002 07:46 AM

Malta and Taormina !

Jan Dec 18th, 2002 09:31 AM

OK...just a thought! Forget the 'beachy' areas and focus on fun with FASNACHT! Luzern will be rocking the last week of Feb. It is a solid week of partying and believe me...the Swiss shed their inhibitions! Anyway, like I said, Just a thought!<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

SA Dec 18th, 2002 09:54 AM

Rome, Dubrovnik, Athens.

john Dec 18th, 2002 12:08 PM

<BR>Josh,<BR>If you can hold yourself for a week, the Carnevaal (~Mardi Gras) celebrations run from February 28 through March 4 in Maastricht, Limburg Province, The Netherlands. The experience will keep you laughing for years. Bring a costume, or at least a &quot;hat,&quot; and your camera. Those people just go nuts.<BR>John Bermont

Rachel Dec 18th, 2002 12:37 PM

We were in Seville last February in t-shirts. I can't promise it will be that warm again but it was very nice, and Seville is a beautiful city. Barcelona is also very nice, weather-wise.<BR><BR>Have fun!

John Dec 18th, 2002 01:31 PM

Hi Josh,<BR><BR>Your time of year and weather constraint indicates you should consider the South as top destinations. <BR><BR>My wife and I love Barcelona and that would be our first choice with your criteria and time constraints.

Anne Dec 18th, 2002 02:29 PM

If you are hale and hearty, go the the Cinque Terra area in Italy (a bit south of Genoa). Start at the northern-most village and hike the coast thru all 5. Be sure to spend at least one night in Vernazza.

Jan Dec 18th, 2002 11:55 PM

Oops! John, you are right. Fasnacht is the following week as well! Ok...some additional ideas on your list: Portugal, and the island of Madeira.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

sakis Dec 19th, 2002 12:35 AM

Although I am greek and know very well that the weather in Athens will rather be just like you wish,I have to admit that Barcelona is a very very beautiful city with a very pleasant weather in winter.I vote for BARCA!!!

Vita Dec 19th, 2002 05:15 AM

<BR><BR>Rome, Rome, Rome!