Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best cities for a 1 week trip in November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm planning a 1 week trip to ireland in the last week of November (I know, not the best time to do a trip there but that's the time I can get off and I'm rather looking forward to a trip without the tourist crowds). I'm trying to decide which cities to book hotels for the night so I'm not backtracking and am able to efficiently get around:

- Day 1 : arrive in dublin. Spend 2 nights in Dublin
- Day 3: Start driving south. Spend the night in Cork (? do Kinsale instead)
- Day 4: Drive to Killarney. Spend Night 4 in Killarney.
- Day 5: Drive up north towards Cliffs of Moher. Spends nights 5 and 6 in Galway.
- Day 7: Drive back to Dublin. Spend night in Dublin. Fly out next AM.

I'd appreciate thoughts on this itinerary. Thank you.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We just returned from 2 weeks in Ireland and here are my thoughts. We didn't go to Dublin or Cork (saving for next trip) but stayed totally on the west coast.

Killarney was very busy and traffic congested, I'd choose Kenmare instead. www.shelburnelodge.com really fantastic along with Mulcahy's for dinner.

Don't miss the Dingle peninsula, best scenery we saw.

If you would like to read our trip report, click on our name above. I know we only went to a few of your choices, but it may be of some help.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 08:50 AM

It is recklessly optimistic to plan an itinerary that is heavily dependent on scenery at that time of year. I think you should base yourself in larger centres where there might be suitable attractions that you can enjoy if the weather is bad.

I don't rate Killarney or Kenmare out of season as good bases, and I would have some doubts about Kinsale (although it is a lovely place).
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Good point Padraig.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Days are short-ish, weather is more than iffy. Not that you shouldn't go in Nov., you can have a wonderful time. But long scenic drives in Nov aren't the best idea IMO.

So you get to the Cliffs -- and that day it is blowing a gale and raining sideways??

So I agree w/ padraig. I'd pick two bases -- Dublin and Galway, Dublin and Cork, something like that and leave the rest for another trip.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Hi, I think one night would be enough in Dublin, it is just like many other cities. The real Ireland starts once you get out of Dublin. If your planning to go to Kinsale, I suggest you stay somewhere like Waterford en route, then Killarney/Kenmare, which you could do as a day trip from Kinsale. You could then head north west to Galway etc, some lovely scenery on the way. I would avoid Killarney myself, Kenmare much nicer. I live in Dublin, so if you need any more advice just ask.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. The two city base idea seems to make sense. Looking at the map (knowing nothing else about it) - Limerick seems pretty central too. Would being based out of Dublin and Limerick seem reasonable? 3 nights in Dublin and 3 in Limerick?
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 08:19 PM

Galway and Dublin would be my choice. From Galway, you could check out Connemara for the day or the Aran Islands if the weather is nice. Galway is a fun town with a youthful atmosphere and easy to get to from Dublin (staright shot by train).
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 03:39 AM

More people seem to dislike Limerick than to like it. I'm with the majority.

I disagree with MontagueFamily about Dublin. It has plenty of things that might interest you if the weather is not suited for scenic trips, and if the weather does suit getting out and about, you have access to Wicklow to the south and the Boyne Valley to the north.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 04:14 AM

I'd vote for Dublin/Galway split. I love Dublin. There are museums, shops, pubs, and, as Padraig mentioned, nearby scenery.