Reload this Page >

Best Churches in Costwolds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Gail

Can anyone give advice on a few churches that are must sees while in the Cotswolds?<BR><BR>Any info is much appreciated.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 04:24 PM
James

I don't know which is best and I certainly have not been to all of them, but St. James in Chipping Campden is particularly striking. The vast size - almost like a little cathedral - for a town so small speaks to the great wealth the wool trade brought to the Cotswolds in the 15th and 16th centuries. The graveyard surrounding the church is very atmospheric also. Here are some photos of the church and nearby buildings:<BR><BR>http://www.chippingcampden.co.uk/ccexplore.htm<BR><BR>

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 04:58 PM
ron

St John the Baptist in Cirencester, "cathedral of the woolgothic" to quote Simon Jenkins. St Peter and St Paul in Northleach, another large church in a small village, built on the wealth of wool merchants. St Michael in Duntisbourne Rouse, small isolated Saxon/Norman chapel. St Mary in Painswick, mostly for the churchyard and yews. St Peter in Winchcombe, for the gargoyles. I apologize that three of these are in the southern Cotswolds, which the mass of tourists tend to avoid.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Virginia

Try the book "England's 1.000 Best Churches." It ignores the cathedrals and goes straight for the parish churches, listing their highpoints and rating them. We used it for London and found it extremely helpful.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:50 PM
janis

Ron's suggestions are all good - I'd add St Mary's in Fairford, and St John the Baptist in Burford.<BR><BR>A few others that are mainly noted for their superb settings are in Painswick, Great Tew, Selsey and Sapperton.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Fairfax

Two that I like are in the Cotswolds area. The first is the Abbey in Tewkesbury, which is about 1000 years old and was bought by the town so it wouldn't be torn down in the reformation. It is just a huge chirch that has loads of nooks and crannies. Off the beaten path, but well worth a visit. Tewkesbury is near Cheltenham.<BR><BR>The other is a teeeeny-tiny church in Herefordshire called St. Mary & St. David's. (I think) It only holds about 20 people and is just tucked away in a copse of trees. It has little stone carvings (i know they have a name, but can't remember that) of puppies, rabbits and some x-rated people. It is listed in the 1000 best churches book (which is a great resource).