Best Christmas fairs in Germany?

Sep 13th, 1998, 09:24 AM
Bob

Best Christmas fairs in Germany?

We are heading to Germany on Nov 26. Will be visiting Christmas fairs while there. Have been before, but want to know if anyone has any good recommendations on ones they have been to.

Sep 13th, 1998, 02:28 PM
Erika

Bob, you may also want to post this question on the hosted forum - fodors is answering all questions on Germany now. (I didn't check to see if you already had done so, so if this is redundant, sorry).

Sep 13th, 1998, 08:30 PM
Don Stadler

I've been to three Kriskindlemarkets, two in the South Tyrol and one in Munich. My favorite is the one in Bolzano (Bozen), which is relatively small, charming, and inexpensive! Meran (also in South Tyrol) is a great place to visit as well.

Munich had two markets that I was aware of. The one right in the center was wonderful if stiffly priced. There was a great market of handcrafts as well in a square north of the center.

Rumor has it that the market in Nurenburg is the best of all, but I haven't been. Almost went in 96, but work scotched it. Nurenburg is a wonderful city, and if you can squeeze in a visit to the national Folk art museum DO so!

Sep 14th, 1998, 03:03 PM
John Grant

Bob,

Visited Munich and Nurenberg in Dec.1997. Both were terrific! Munich has several locations. Nurenberg stretches for several kilometers. Both full of wonderful things. Be sure to eat at Weinhaus-Neuen in Munich.

Sep 15th, 1998, 08:46 AM
Chris

Hi! The most famous market is the one in Nuremberg (I think it's also the biggest), but almost every town in Germany (Austria and Switzerland probably too) have some form of Christmas market, like Bamberg or Dresden for instance.

Sep 16th, 1998, 01:26 PM
Roger

In 1990 and again in 1991 my wife and I were in Germany during the Christkindlmarkt season. We saw the ones in Munich and Nuremberg as well as smaller marts in Ansbach and Rothenburg. I'm not sure if Munich or Nuremberg is the largest. Nuremberg concentrates about 150 stalls in one large market square, whereas Munich spreads somewhat from the Marienplatz up a side street and behind the New City Hall.

All of the markets have pretty much the same things for sale. There are Christmas ornaments of all sizes, shapes and prices (from little knick-knacks for about 25 cents to revolving pyramids for $125.00 or more). There is some clothing. There is also plenty of food - some to take home and some to eat there. There will be Lebkucken, various cookies, hot sausages, Gluh wine, (a hot spiced wine), etc.

Dress warm. After moving from one display to another for 2 to 3 hours, the cold starts to work through to your bones. Enjoy your visit.

Sep 18th, 1998, 06:49 PM
Glenn

Bob, The Nurnberg market is the biggest and most famous market. Munich does have a very large market also. You might want to try the one at Rothenburg.
It is smaller in size, but kept that way on purpose. Each market usually has a specialty from the area. So if you see either food or an item that is different from previous markets buy/eat it when you see it. You may see it cheaper later and you may not see it at all. As Chris stated even the small villages will have a market. The village markets might be on the weekends only. So you might want to save the big ones for the weekdays when they are not so crowded, they can be so crowded that they are not very enjoyable to be at. I know that Nurnberg has a childrens parade in early Dec with thousands of laterns. They walk through town, up to the castle. They turn the street lights out and play music for the event. You might want to try to time it for a visit for this event. This was an extra special event that I did not see anywhere else. For info on their market, go to www.christkindlesmarkt.de/
They have all the info on the market, maps of the stalls, what will be sold where, an excellent site. Try to get to some of the smaller ones, you will most likely see more locals with the area products. If you want nutcrakers/smokers/xmas pryamids, head to the erzgeberg area where the markets are the best for those items (schneeburg or Seiffen. Do dress warmly, it gets very cold at night after walking around for a while. The gluwein does do wonders to keep you warm though.

Search this Thread