Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Car service from Heathrow airport to Waldorf Hilton in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-car-service-from-heathrow-airport-to-waldorf-hilton-in-london-946317/)

travel_nana Aug 11th, 2012 11:09 AM

Best Car service from Heathrow airport to Waldorf Hilton in London

On the last part of our big nine week Europe trip details! Could someone tell me the best car service from Heathrow airport to the Hilton in London? So far the best one we have found is Ray's London Transfers, but would love to have something to compare them with! I know that services are cheaper then taxis! Need help, leaving August 25th!!! The price we got was about $70.00 U.S. dollars! Would love to see if there was someone cheaper (but reliable) if possible! Would appreciate any information anyone has! Everyone has been such a big help with planning our trip!!! Thanks again!

Avalon2 Aug 11th, 2012 11:20 AM

I heartily reccomend Justairports >I have used them nu
merous times toand fron LHR and Gatwick Always on time and faily reasonable

travel_nana Aug 11th, 2012 12:04 PM

Thanks for your quick response! That was one of the ones I was looking into! They all seem to be around the same price, but wanted to make sure the reliability! Thanks again!

Seamus Aug 11th, 2012 12:27 PM

From experience can recommend:
justairports.com as mentioned above - gets lots of good reviews on this board
exclusiveairports.com - have used a couple times with good result

janisj Aug 11th, 2012 12:42 PM

my two go-to car services are Ray's and justairports. Both are very reliable. Justairports may be a bit cheaper - depends on your specific requirements. I'd get a quote from both and just pick.

Usually when it is just me or two of us, justairports is £5-£6 less. But when I needed a transfer for 6 to St Katharine's Dock, Ray was £11 cheaper.

Both are very good.

travel_nana Aug 11th, 2012 02:29 PM

Thanks so much for the information! I'm going to get quotes from both! Will let you all know which we go with and will report when we get back!

mztery Aug 11th, 2012 02:49 PM

OK! You don't need exclamation points for every sentence!

starofthesea Aug 11th, 2012 03:26 PM

Had a bad experience with Exclusive airports recently.

willowjane Aug 11th, 2012 03:41 PM

I can't comment on the car service as we took a taxi after the train in, but we loved the hotel (points used). The room was fabulous and the piano in the afternoon with drinks in the bar was a nice rest. They were very helpful for our first visit. Have a great trip!

Seamus Aug 11th, 2012 07:33 PM

starofthesea - can you elaborate, please?

bettyk Aug 11th, 2012 07:47 PM

If you are lucky enough to have Ray pick you up, you won't care if it cost a little more or not! He is such an interesting guy and very entertaining. Our experience with him on our 2002 trip is one we still talk about!!

travel_nana Aug 12th, 2012 05:33 AM

mztery, sorry that's actually the way I talk. I get excited about things! :)
willowjane, Glad to hear about the hotel, we are using points also. In fact we are using points for 75% of our trip! :)
bettyk, so far I think Ray is the winner. He gets the best reviews from everyone. I'm going to get prices from about 3 of them just to compare a bit, but if they are all within the same range I think I'll be going with Ray.

Thanks everyone for the information! Mztery, sorry about the exclamation again, just can't help it!!!! lol

latedaytraveler Aug 12th, 2012 12:31 PM

Hi Travel_Nana,

I was satisfied with HOTEL BY BUS when I was in London - reasonable and reliable.

Enjoy your trip...

Scootoir Aug 12th, 2012 06:49 PM

I was thinking of using Ray's as well but noticed the website lists 2011 pricing. Time to update the site.

mztery Aug 12th, 2012 06:53 PM

I only used ray's once, several years ago and was not pleased. communication was very difficult, his web site was often down ad he did to return emails. The driver he sent to pick us up was great; Ray himself took us back to LHR and was late and didn't return calls to his cell.

Great experience with both Just Airports and Addison Lee over the past 5-6 years.

travel_nana Aug 13th, 2012 03:39 AM

Scootoir, Noticed the same thing. Justairports got back to me right away. I think I'm going to go with them. Didn't hear from Ray yet. I figure if someone gets back to you in a good amount of time, they are likely to be on time for picking you up. I hope I'm right!

Scootoir Aug 13th, 2012 06:29 PM

travel_nana, we'll be trying Justairports as well.

Aleta Aug 20th, 2012 03:53 AM

What percentage or flat amount do you tip the driver from Just Airports?

travel_nana Aug 20th, 2012 05:12 AM

Aleta, I really don't know, this is our first time using a car service in Europe. We usually rent cars at the airport. If anyone could let us both know it would be great. I come from New York so used to tipping big.

janisj Aug 20th, 2012 04:20 PM

£5 is more than enough - and only if he helps w/ the luggage (which he probably will).