Reload this Page >

train from london to venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Linda

Has anyone taken a train from london to venice? We can't get a good flight connection, its either sold out or we waste a day just waiting around. We are traveling the end of Aug. Thanks for any comments.<BR>Linda

Old May 29th, 2002, 08:27 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Orient Express ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Roger

Hi, just for kicks I looked it up and it can take between 15 to 20 hours with 3 to 5 different train changes.

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Roger

thanks alot, sort of what I thought...I think we'll fly!

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Tom

A train from London to Venice sounds as awful as a train from Miami to Houston. Inconceivable that you can't find a better option by air. Have you tried flying cheaply in to Milan?<BR>

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Ben Haines

Yes: I first took train from London to Venice in 1950, and nowadays take it about once a decade. The standard route is a Eurostar train under the Channel to Paris, cross Paris by taxi, and then a sleeper to Venice. Leave London 1353, cross Paris and have dinner 1753 to 2001, and reach Venice 0825. That is 18 hours, most of them fast asleep: Roger is thinking of the faster but more complex trip by day. If you will tell me when you reach London and which airport I shall see whether I can find a better connection for you. If you want to skip Paris you leave London and reach Venice at the same times, but take a fast train from Lille to Dole.<BR><BR>If you search under Venice on the Fodors search engine you will find plenty of comment in favour of this journey - and some against. I enjoy it greatly, especially the view as I step out of the main railway station in Venice. The web site http://www.seat61.com/, then Europe, then Italy, describes the journey well, with photos of the compartments. My note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes is on http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm<BR><BR>I think Miami to Houston is quite a long way ? This trip, onn the other hsnd, is an afternoon, a view of Paris, and a night. You choose your level of comfort: anything from compartments for four to one compartment per train that has a double bed<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR><BR><BR>