Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Business Class accross the pond? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-business-class-accross-the-pond-80610/)

Duc Jul 25th, 2000 02:40 AM

Best Business Class accross the pond?

What's the best business class accross the Atlanctic in terms of: Service, food & drink, seat comfort and mileage program?

Nick Jul 25th, 2000 03:49 AM

Opinions vary of course, but for me it depends whether I want to get some sleep or not. If I do, I go for BA with the new 6 foot beds in Club. <BR> <BR>If I want to stay awake, it's got to be Virgin Upper Class. Chaffeur service to airport, clubhouse lounge, the best in-flight entertainment and nice touches such as a bar in the cabin, beauty treatments for the ladies etc. <BR> <BR>The worst - got to be United (sorry guys).

Ann Jul 25th, 2000 05:41 AM

Actually, I found United's business class to be far superior to BA's, although I haven't seen these new 6 ft. beds. The food's good (lobster was killer), and I couldn't fault the service. BA overall, however, has been on a steady decline over the past few years. It used to be my favorite airline to London. Now I avoid it, particularly as they can't seem to figure out how to prevent the toilets from stinking--even in Business class. Ick. <BR> <BR>Haven't tried Virgin's bus. class, although I've been in the cattle section several times. Have to say that I was really peeved that a stewardess physically blocked my fellow "second class" passengers from leaving the plane through the exit while we waited for those in Business & Upper Class to lumber their way past us, even though I was literally seated next to the door.

Duc Jul 25th, 2000 06:29 AM

Thanks for the answers. <BR> <BR>Has anybody flown Continental?

John Jul 25th, 2000 08:41 AM

I would avoid Continental...their BusinessFirst is nothing like a normal business class. Same with Delta. It just doesn't suffce. <BR> <BR>I agree with choosing BA. However, I also think American is pretty good. The service was very good and the food is definitely above average. One thing of note about the new sleepers in Business on BA - if you are on the window side, it is almost impossible to get out and use the bathroom, walk around, etc., unless the person on the aisle puts their "bed" down. Also, the beds are so close together that your feet are almost in the next guys face, and vice verse. When we were in First on BA, the Business configuration didn't look so hot.

? Jul 26th, 2000 03:43 AM

?

noc Jul 28th, 2000 12:16 AM

Air India's the best

Tracy Jul 28th, 2000 04:07 AM

Another vote for United. Their food outta SFO is fab (always go for the fish!), and their crews (on both sides of the curtain) simply couldn't be more courteous. <BR> <BR>Also, when I had a knee reconstruction & had to fly, they really went out of their way to make me comfortable. <BR>Just my 2cents' worth!

Pauline Jul 28th, 2000 04:35 AM

I flew United business class London to LA return last year and was really shocked at how poor the facilities were compared to BA or Virgin. Despite the planes being quite new, there was no seat-back screen / multi-channel viewing choice. The lounge in LA was a disgrace - small, crowded and a voucher given for one free drink served in a plastic glass. I was unfortunate to be sitting in the last row on my return and most of the food had ran out, leaving me with no choice of meal. The staff were very pleasant and service fine, but it really was light years behind BA and Virgin.